What would you say is the Gutsiest front office move your team has ever made?

CP3MVP

On 4/10/2021 at 1:28 PM, Jeezla said:

Signing post-prison Mike Vick.

First thing that came to mind.

I don't really know the coaching landscape back in the 70s...but it seemed like a risky move to hire a young Vermeil. But thats not very unique.

Hiring a QB coach from the packers was pretty out there at the time.

9 hours ago, Tk3 said:

Bigger than refusing to answer phone calls on a player who weeks later become untradeable?

Sure. Most teams would have tried to leverage Watson’s value as much as possible. They got blindsided by that lawsuit, but there is some bad luck involved in that. Trading 2 firsts and a 2nd for Tunsil was very gutsy, but not crazy either. It’s the Hopkins trade that killed them

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Forge said:
On 4/5/2021 at 9:54 PM, Forge said:

Trading #12 and two future firsts along with a third for Mac Jones

So this seems legit 😂😂

I promise you friend - it's Trey. Or Justin.

Or Mac, I really don't know.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 6:26 PM, Split the Sticks said:

oh god...

In 2000, with three quarterbacks already on the roster, the patriots drafted a quarterback in the 6th round. 
Asked why the move was made, the answer given was.. "We need a backup quarterback".

But Tom Brady worked out pretty well 

I wouldn't say drafting him was gutsy at all, but moving on from former #1 pick, $100m Drew Bledsoe to roll the dice with a 6th round pick after a few good starts definitely was

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dalan162 said:

It’s the Hopkins trade that killed them

Yes, this is pretty accurate. The Texans paid F22A Raptor prices for a Ford Raptor with Tunsil; But, Tunsil is still a good football player - probably the best football player on roster (which is just as much an indictment on the roster, but I digress). Tunsil is a plus player.

On Hopkins, they traded away a guy who should - at bare minimum - returned a FRPs along with additional consideration (Stefon Diggs shouldn't go for more, given their resumes at the time).

Not only did Bill O'Brien not get THAT, he took on arguably the worst contract at RB in the NFL in David Johnson, then squandered the pick he got on a rotational DT who couldn't even beat out PJ Hall for playing time.

I'm not even sure if I'm going to call this move "gutsy". It was a move made out of spite, by a man with an ego that is only beaten out by his sheer stupidity. Bill O'Brien is a sad, stupid, petty and arrogant piece of trash not even worthy of being called a human being. He's a skidmark on this sport, tbh.

I think it's fair to say that Bill O'Brien should never be allowed in the NFL again. Let him stick around in college, because this world is so far past his mental capacity.

• Like 1

Has to be trading two future 1sts for disgruntled Jalen Ramsey still on a rookie deal....

Wait no, has to be cutting Todd Gurley at 25 years old after paying him top RB money...

Hold up, COULD BE paying Jared Goff elite QB money with 2 years left on his rookie deal.

Nope. Got it. It's trading away 2 firsts and Jared Goff for Matt Stafford.

This exercise was exhausting as a Rams fan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Has to be trading two future 1sts for disgruntled Jalen Ramsey still on a rookie deal....

Wait no, has to be cutting Todd Gurley at 25 years old after paying him top RB money...

Hold up, COULD BE paying Jared Goff elite QB money with 2 years left on his rookie deal.

Nope. Got it. It's trading away 2 firsts and Jared Goff for Matt Stafford.

Yeah, the Rams are not afraid to put all their chips at the middle of the table. Definitely the gutsiest team over the last few years. It might be exhausting as a Rams fan, but it’s not a bad attempt. If they win, it’ll be worth it. If not, they will struggle in the future, but it’s better than being stuck in the middle of the pack

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Yes, this is pretty accurate. The Texans paid F22A Raptor prices for a Ford Raptor with Tunsil; But, Tunsil is still a good football player - probably the best football player on roster (which is just as much an indictment on the roster, but I digress). Tunsil is a plus player.

On Hopkins, they traded away a guy who should - at bare minimum - returned a FRPs along with additional consideration (Stephon Diggs shouldn't go for more, given their resumes at the time).

Not only did Bill O'Brien not get THAT, he took on arguably the worst contract at RB in the NFL in David Johnson, then squandered the pick he got on a rotational DT who couldn't even beat out PJ Hall for playing time.

I'm not even sure if I'm going to call this move "gutsy". It was a move made out of spite, by a man with an ego that is only beaten out by his sheer stupidity. Bill O'Brien is a sad, stupid, petty and arrogant piece of human trash not even worthy of being called a human being. He's a skidmark on this sport, tbh.

I think it's fair to say that Bill O'Brien should never be allowed in the NFL again. Let him stick around in college, because this world is so far past his mental capacity.

Not wanting to pay Hopkins, but taking on Johnson and Cooks’ contracts was mindboggling to say the least. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dalan162 said:

Not wanting to pay Hopkins, but taking on Johnson and Cooks’ contracts was mindboggling to say the least. 

Throw in that mind boggling 3/$27mm paid out to Randall Cobb as the new "chain mover" to replace Hopkins on 3rd down.

Goodness, Bill O'Brien committed a war crime in Houston. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dalan162 said:

Yeah, the Rams are not afraid to put all their chips at the middle of the table. Definitely the gutsiest team over the last few years. It might be exhausting as a Rams fan, but it’s not a bad attempt. If they win, it’ll be worth it. If not, they will struggle in the future, but it’s better than being stuck in the middle of the pack

I'm not mad at it one bit. I actually love it. Anything is possible in their eyes. 

Could it come at the expense of the future? Possibly. But they're embracing the importance of a winning team in the LA market and aren't afraid to fail. As long as McVay continues on this path, I think we will be competitive during his tenure. Could see a few 8-10 win seasons, but bottoming out would likely be a result of major injuries. I just want ONE ring and it's all worth it IMO. 

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Misery loves company...

- $36mm guaranteed to Brock Osweiler, sight unseen.

- Stapling a 2nd round pick to Osweiler to get him out of Houston. (Pick ended up being RB Nick Chubb).

- Firing Rick Smith, hiring Brian Gaine.

- Hiring Jack Easterby.

- Firing Gaine less than two years into his tenure.

- Recruiting Nick Caserio before New England threatened to sue Houston for tampering.

- Giving GM responsibilities to Bill O'Brien, sight unseen.

- Trading away Jadevion Clowney for a 3rd round pick. (Pick was eventually flipped for CB Gaeron Conley, who has played about seven games since joining the Texans).

- Trading two firsts and a 2nd for Laremy Tunsil (which is basically building the next superpower in Miami).

- Making Tunsil the highest paid T in football (by close to $5mm/season).

- Trading away the best WR in football for David Johnson and Ross Blacklock.

- Firing Bill O'Brien, but keeping Jack Easterby around.

- Finally hiring Caserio, much to the dismay of your franchise QB.

- Hiring a WR coach with no tangible experience at even a coordinator level to be your next HC.

I'll trade you...

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Misery loves company...

ONE OF US

At least before John Dorsey resurrected us from the dead. You guys need to hire him once you get actual draft picks back. He’s a literal miracle worker.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

ONE OF US

At least before John Dorsey resurrected us from the dead. You guys need to hire him once you get actual draft picks back. He’s a literal miracle worker.

I need Dorsey to visit Jack Easterby with a baseball bat first. Gotta get that man out of the building. Cal, too.

Progress is simply impossible with Cal/Jack in the building.