Jets trade Sam Darnold to Panthers for 2021 6th, 2022 2nd and 4th

carrolljcmc

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

The good news is that you can argue that QBs have started worse and come back from it. The bad thing is that it's not happened in a while. Tannehill wasnt this bad. You probably have to go back to Alex for a guy who arguably started worse and ultimately succeeded 

Hey if Matt Rhule ends up being a HOF coach, you have proved me wrong my friend haha.

As for Tannehill I agree, but also like you said, he wasnt that bad....as a Bears fan, I actually wouldnt be surprised if Trubisky actually has a good 1 or 2 injury games for Allen this year and gets an opportunity on another team too.

• Like 1

Such a bad trade.  The trade still doesn't stop the Panthers from drafting a QB, but it does lessen the chances. This gives them the flexibility to draft BPA if the QB they want is already gone off the board rather than reaching for one--so that's a positive-- but this could very well come back and bite em in the end. 

If the QB they want IS still there then they take him. But this also means they just spent a ridiculous amount of capital and cap space for a backup level QB.

If the QB they want IS NOT still there then all they did was pay a ridiculous amount of capital and cap space on a backup level QB who is not any better than the QB you just gave 33M in gtd money to a year ago for 3 years (Teddy) and is in some ways, worse.

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

I was thinking the same thing, when does trading for the former high draft pick ever work? Drew Brees is the only one I think of off hand and he was a 2nd rounder

Thats being said, I think this is more insurance, if Trey Lance is still there I think they totally take him...they just arent going to move UP

100% agreed

Teddy Two Gloves still better.

I'm not sure Bridgewater can ever actually lead a team to a championship like i though...but he's smart, efficient, and capable.

Darnold is big, strong, and an idiot.  Doubt that translates to more wins.

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Such a bad trade.  The trade still doesn't stop the Panthers from drafting a QB, but it does lessen the chances. This gives them the flexibility to draft BPA if the QB they want is already gone off the board rather than reaching for one--so that's a positive-- but this could very well come back and bite em in the end. 

If the QB they want IS still there then they take him. But this also means they just spent a ridiculous amount of capital and cap space for a backup level QB.

If the QB they want IS NOT still there then all they did was pay a ridiculous amount of capital and cap space on a backup level QB who is not any better than the QB you just gave 33M in gtd money to a year ago for 3 years (Teddy) and is in some ways, worse.

They traded for Samus because they believe him to be the starter. I'd be shocked if they target a QB early now. They saw what Bridgewater can do in their offense, and they weren't optimistic about the future. And that was Bridgewater's third team. They haven't seen what Darnold can do, and he's still only 23 years old. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

8 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

They traded for Samus because they believe him to be the starter. I'd be shocked if they target a QB early now. They saw what Bridgewater can do in their offense, and they weren't optimistic about the future. And that was Bridgewater's third team. They haven't seen what Darnold can do, and he's still only 23 years old. 

If that's the case then they're putting alot more faith in Darnold then I ever would.  But as I said, I think this may be the case.

I think they're just waiting to see how the draft plays out and if it doesn't go their way then they're content with Sam. Which I think is a big mistake, IMO.  Much of the same way the Bears traded for Foles last year.  Why give up capital for a lateral move? We'll see...

55 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

He’s still only 23 years old is so annoying. 

He’s still got the same issues as when he was 19 and 20 and 21 and 22 and now 23.

11 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

He’s still only 23 years old is so annoying. 

He’s still got the same issues as when he was 19 and 20 and 21 and 22 and now 23.

I mean, he can change. Just like Steve Young did after his two awful years in Tampa. Just like Ryan Tannehill after Miami, and just like Rich Gannon after Minnesota/Kansas City. 

I will say history isn't on Darnold's side as complete turnarounds are rare, but he can be a more productive player on another team that believes in him. It's better than he's still 23, and has only been on one team, than someone like Bridgewater who has already been on three teams, and still hasn't looked great. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I mean, he can change. Just like Steve Young did after his two awful years in Tampa. Just like Ryan Tannehill after Miami, and just like Rich Gannon after Minnesota/Kansas City. 

I will say history isn't on Darnold's side as complete turnarounds are rare, but he can be a more productive player on another team that believes in him. It's better than he's still 23, and has only been on one team, than someone like Bridgewater who has already been on three teams, and still hasn't looked great. 

Bridgewater has looked light years better than Darnold and has barely been given a shot to prove himself post-injury. 

Everyone points to guys who turn it around when it comes to Darnold but his issues pre-date any NFL snaps he took. And he hasn't proven he can play turnover free football. 

Him turning it around has everything to do with him not Young, Tannehill or Gannon. 

Best case scenario for him is a Fitzpatrick like career where you live with the turnovers because he works his magic at times.