Jets trade Sam Darnold to Panthers for 2021 6th, 2022 2nd and 4th

carrolljcmc

10 hours ago, Danger said:

Don't think so, they would've parted ways with matt Ryan if they were.

Pretty much impossible if you look at the next, at least, year of Ryan's contract.  Fans like to blindly assume that a newly-acquired player will just amicably get in line to sign a new extension (there are a number of Rams fans who jumped to this conclusion with Stafford) without bothering to consider whether the player has any logical motivation to do so.  With the restructuring that Ryan agreed to last month, the Falcons eat oodles of dead cap if anything is going with Ryan before June 1st.  After that they can actually gain back $8m in cap space (which could, at worst, carry-over to next year's kiddy) if they cut or trade him; the gains are larger if Ryan isn't moved/cut until 2022.

But Ryan is set to account for just under 25% of their entire cap allotment next year and they're a non-contending (quite possibly/likely not even a playoff-likely team) - now is exactly the time to take a QBotF if one they rubberstamp is available to them.

11 hours ago, BigD88 said:

Great move for Carolina.  Everyone who has left the clutches of Adam Gase has vastly improved.  And Darnold was the most highly sought out prospect of them all. 

Agreed. I like the move for Carolina especially considering they only had to give up a 6th this year and a 2nd/4th next year. They'll have two years to test the waters with him and see what he can do. Gase was a terrible coach and the Jets did a horrible job of surrounding him with talent. In Carolina he will have two good WR's and one of the most dynamic playmakers in the league in McCaffery. 

Making this move also gives them a lot of flexibility in the draft as they could target an OT, a TE like Pitts, or a CB at #8. 

5 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

This regime will be 3 years in by the time they can give up on Darnold.

Assuming that they trade Teddy, if Darnold doesn't play well in 2021, what's stopping them from going QB again in 2022? 

The top 4 QB's will be off the board by the time that Carolina picks and they acquired Darnold for a pretty reasonable value, plus it's not like he's locked in to some super expensive, long term deal. 

I think two things;

1. This doesn't necessarily mean CAR still won't pick a QB if one is there when they pick

2. They haven't improved at QB...Darnold sucks. Although I do accept that he'll be in a much better scenario. Still, he has the turnover gene.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Such a bad trade.  The trade still doesn't stop the Panthers from drafting a QB, but it does lessen the chances. This gives them the flexibility to draft BPA if the QB they want is already gone off the board rather than reaching for one--so that's a positive-- but this could very well come back and bite em in the end. 

If the QB they want IS still there then they take him. But this also means they just spent a ridiculous amount of capital and cap space for a backup level QB.

If the QB they want IS NOT still there then all they did was pay a ridiculous amount of capital and cap space on a backup level QB who is not any better than the QB you just gave 33M in gtd money to a year ago for 3 years (Teddy) and is in some ways, worse.

Absolutely.

I hate agreeing with you...😆

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think two things;

1. This doesn't necessarily mean CAR still won't pick a QB if one is there when they pick

2. They haven't improved at QB...Darnold sucks. Although I do accept that he'll be in a much better scenario. Still, he has the turnover gene.

Making this trade and then picking a QB would legit be hilarious with a rebuilding roster. Its not going to happen, they're parroting this line in the hope they get trade offers. They're locked into Darnold for the next two years, they've showed us that.

47 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Making this trade and then picking a QB would legit be hilarious with a rebuilding roster. Its not going to happen, they're parroting this line in the hope they get trade offers. They're locked into Darnold for the next two years, they've showed us that.

I don't think they will draft a QB now, but I wouldn't be totally shocked

Darnold was never really given a chance to succeed in NY. Trash coach, trash personnel on the field, etc...It's hard to say how much is on him, but one thing is for sure- the Jets completely botched his development. They seem to have things turned around now as Douglas seems competent, so who ever they take 2nd overall should be entering into a much better environment. 

It may be too late for Darnold, though, he's already been tainted by playing for trash teams with a trash coach. Hopefully Carolina can bring the best out of him. I always thought he has the potential to be a very good QB in this league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

I don't see them locked into Darnold for after 21. Darnold has to perform, if he doesnt the Panthers will be in the market again in '22. 

Too many NFL teams have an absolute with where someone was taken in the draft. Had Darnold been taken in the 5th or 6th round and played as he has, NYJ would have done well to get a single 2022 conditional pick for him. 

Funny enough, also with the obsession with qbs "needing" to be taken early, I also think the entire 2018 class got bumped up and taken so early simply be ause there were no standouts.

- Mayfield has gone on to do well but has not been a superstar or anything

- Allen has become a superstar but was extremely raw and took a lot of work to get there. By what he has turned into, he would have been an awesome no. 1 pick even, but with the risk reward in stronger years at the position he might even slip into the 2nd round. 

- Josh Rosen is now a practice squad player and very likely will be out of the league within the next 2 years. 

- Darnold is on his way to being a career backup by the looks of it, and I also wouldn't be shocked to see him out of the league in a few seasons. 

It's always something that has confused and bothered me. If somehow all of last years first round qbs just gave up the sport in January 2020, I am pretty much certain Jalen Hurts and Jacob Eason would have been taken in the top half of the first round. 

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:
3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I don't think they will draft a QB now, but I wouldn't be totally shocked

I can see them taking a flyer on a guy like Kellen Mond - a guy with the tools to be a unique weapon, but a guy who needs a LOT of refining before he can take snaps as a starting QB.

Give Joe Brady that sort of clay to mold, you could get some incredible results - as an eventual replacement for Sam Darnold or even as a tradable asset if Darnold gets his game in order.

Top 10/FRP QB? Probably not. QB in general? Possible, it's not like they're married to PJ Walker (or Teddy Bridgewater for that matter).

I don't hate this move. It will be interesting to see how much Darnold improves away from the Gase influence. I personally don't think Darnold is as bad as people claim. He is very young. Good coaching can fix a lot of things. The way Carolina is set up on offence will help a lot. And I don't fault them for willing to take a chance. 

• Like 2