Jets trade Sam Darnold to Panthers for 2021 6th, 2022 2nd and 4th

carrolljcmc

Zach Wilson is not a better prospect than Darnold was. It doesn’t mean he won’t be better, but I think this will be looked at as a silly Jets move. I think they should have traded down, kept Sam, and tried to land the BPA pass rusher or WR available. Load up on 2022 picks and if Sam fails with a talented squad around him, package the picks to get your QB and bring him into a great situation. 

23 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Zach Wilson is not a better prospect than Darnold was. It doesn’t mean he won’t be better, but I think this will be looked at as a silly Jets move. I think they should have traded down, kept Sam, and tried to land the BPA pass rusher or WR available. Load up on 2022 picks and if Sam fails with a talented squad around him, package the picks to get your QB and bring him into a great situation. 

This new staff didn't draft him though. I understand them wanting their own guy. That said if the rookie starts slow people and Darnold plays well... it won't be fun times in that market. I personally would have kept Darnold and saw him play away from the Gase mess but it is what it is. The Jets still have plenty picks in the next two drafts to really turn the franchise around. They just have to hit. So we shall see...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

How many Jet games have you watched over the last three years? 

59 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

I bet you hate this take then;

"Zach Wilson is clearly the number one quarterback in the draft for me. There is a separation. Zach Wilson is a really really special football player, from every aspect and angle. The only negative I can even come up with here is I wish he was a little thicker and bigger...but I don't think that necessarily matters in this day and age in the NFL."

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/3/4/22314114/nfl-analyst-chris-simms-defends-why-byu-zach-wilson-is-better-than-clemson-qb-trevor-lawrence

Patrick put it direct to Simms: “What does Zach Wilson do better than Trevor Lawrence?”

Simms answered without hesitation;

"He’s a more consistent, bull’s-eye, dead-eye thrower, I mean you know I love Trevor Lawrence. He’s worthy of the No. 1 pick. I know I’m getting a lot of crap about that. I’m not trying to make this about, ‘Oh, he’s not good.’ There’s a lot to love about him. But Zach Wilson, it’s just every ball is a perfect spiral (and) on the money; all the plays that are there to be had for ease and completions he really never misses, and it’s the plays when there’s nothing there that he is really special and able to create and buy time and make unbelievable plays with his arm."

Edited by Hunter2_1

Jets fans will swear Darnold sucks and isn’t worth saving. While Panthers are now optimistic because they swear Teddy sucks and held them back. Somethings gotta give here. Lmao.Typical.

From what I’ve seen, Darnold has the better arm talent so he’s more likely to connect on those throws that Teddy tends to miss. But Teddy is such a far better decision maker. 

Edited by Kip Smithers
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Jets fans will swear Darnold sucks and isn’t worth saving. While Panthers are now optimistic because they swear Teddy sucks and held them back. Somethings gotta give here. Lmao.Typical.

From what I’ve seen, Darnold has the better arm talent so he’s more likely to connect on those throws that Teddy tends to miss. But Teddy is such a far better decision maker. 

They're both right

Colts officially won the trade from 2018 

2018 trade (March 17 or 18) 

Jets receive:

2018 Round 1/Pick 3 (Sam Darnold) 

Colts receive: 

2018 Round 1/Pick 6 (Quentin Nelson)

2018 Round 2/Pick 37 (Braden Smith) 

2018 Round 2/Pick 49 (Dallas Goedert)*

2019 Round 2/Pick 34 (Rock Ya-Sin) 

* Colts traded this pick to Philadelphia Eagles for picks that were used on Kemoko Turay and Jordan Wilkins

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm not sure Bridgewater can ever actually lead a team to a championship like i though...but he's smart, efficient, and capable.

He is none of those things.  Just because you play conservatively doesn't mean you play smart.  He missed DJ Moore an absurd amount of times last year, this in a scheme that made it very, very easy for him.  There was a play last year where on 4th and medium, he threw it behind or near the LOS.  Bridgewater had something like 8 game-winning opportunities last year... and failed on all of them.  He's got one of the worst deep balls in the game.  For a guy who is supposed to be a game-manager, he can be wildly inaccurate.  Pocket presence is crap.  

Bridgewater was in a great position last year.  Darnold was not.  This does not mean that Darnold is automatically better (although again, I do think skill-set wise, he is a better fit for his offense), but Bridgewater is absolutely not capable.  He is a tank commander level QB.  There's just few QBs I've seen more frustrating to watch than Bridgewater.  He made what could have been an electric offense, so boring to watch.  

I mean I know I keep saying this.  But look at the talent around Bridgewater last year.  Yet he only threw for 15 touchdowns!  15 touchdowns in a league where passing skyrocketed last year.  That is Bridgewater's career high in passing touchdowns.  Darnold, on a team with far less talent, had 17 TDs as a rookie and 19 in his second year.  Teddy was in one of the best positions in the league to throw for a lot of touchdowns and still couldn't do it.  He had a fully healthy, great WR trio the whole season.  An OL that played well enough.  And he failed.

Again I'm not saying that makes Darnold better, but Bridgewater stinks.  I'd much rather someone like Darnold, who has the guts to go out and try and win games, than Bridgewater.  I've never had less faith in a QB to go out and win a game than I did Bridgewater.  And in every GDT I would say, I know what is going to happen.  And it always happened.  There is a reason why Panthers fans were rabid about getting a new QB, and why the team gave up on him almost instantly.  He is the worst possible QB you can have.  A game-manager QB who still somehow manages to hurt your team far more than he helps.

Do I think Darnold works out?  Man I really don't know.  I think he's got way better arm talent than Bridgewater.  Better deep-ball and more willing to go out and actually TRY to win games.  I love his quick release.  But he's also very turnover prone.  Mechanics break down a lot.  I get Jameis Winston vibes, where you see that potential and it flashes but you worry you will never shake off the bad decision-making.  I will say again I am confident Darnold will be able to take advantage of what Brady and this offense want to do much better than Bridgewater.  But will it prove to be worth it?  Remains to be seen.  I'm just happy to see this team isn't gonna settle for timid Teddy for another season.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, xenajets said:

How many Jet games have you watched over the last three years? 

A lot, for a non-Jets fan. That roster is vomit-inducing. You’ve got some solid defensive players scattered in there, but a literal hot pile of garbage at all of the skill positions. Plus, the OL is trash aside from Becton, who can’t block all 4 DL by himself.

Darnold was not good, but he was literally in the worst possible spot in the NFL. It’s easy to blame Darnold, but the Jets are an abortion, my friend. 

23 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

They're both right :D

7 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

He is none of those things.  Just because you play conservatively doesn't mean you play smart.  He missed DJ Moore an absurd amount of times last year, this in a scheme that made it very, very easy for him.  There was a play last year where on 4th and medium, he threw it behind or near the LOS.  Bridgewater had something like 8 game-winning opportunities last year... and failed on all of them.  He's got one of the worst deep balls in the game.  For a guy who is supposed to be a game-manager, he can be wildly inaccurate.  Pocket presence is crap.  

Bridgewater was in a great position last year.  Darnold was not.  This does not mean that Darnold is automatically better (although again, I do think skill-set wise, he is a better fit for his offense), but Bridgewater is absolutely not capable.  He is a tank commander level QB.  There's just few QBs I've seen more frustrating to watch than Bridgewater.  He made what could have been an electric offense, so boring to watch.  

I mean I know I keep saying this.  But look at the talent around Bridgewater last year.  Yet he only threw for 15 touchdowns!  15 touchdowns in a league where passing skyrocketed last year.  That is Bridgewater's career high in passing touchdowns.  Darnold, on a team with far less talent, had 17 TDs as a rookie and 19 in his second year.  Teddy was in one of the best positions in the league to throw for a lot of touchdowns and still couldn't do it.  He had a fully healthy, great WR trio the whole season.  An OL that played well enough.  And he failed.

Again I'm not saying that makes Darnold better, but Bridgewater stinks.  I'd much rather someone like Darnold, who has the guts to go out and try and win games, than Bridgewater.  I've never had less faith in a QB to go out and win a game than I did Bridgewater.  And in every GDT I would say, I know what is going to happen.  And it always happened.  There is a reason why Panthers fans were rabid about getting a new QB, and why the team gave up on him almost instantly.  He is the worst possible QB you can have.  A game-manager QB who still somehow manages to hurt your team far more than he helps.

Do I think Darnold works out?  Man I really don't know.  I think he's got way better arm talent than Bridgewater.  Better deep-ball and more willing to go out and actually TRY to win games.  I love his quick release.  But he's also very turnover prone.  Mechanics break down a lot.  I get Jameis Winston vibes, where you see that potential and it flashes but you worry you will never shake off the bad decision-making.  I will say again I am confident Darnold will be able to take advantage of what Brady and this offense want to do much better than Bridgewater.  But will it prove to be worth it?  Remains to be seen.  I'm just happy to see this team isn't gonna settle for timid Teddy for another season.

Spot on.

I can never work out why so many people fall in love with Teddy. He freaking sucks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

They're both right

Maybe. Teddy did step in for Drew Brees in 2019 and did very well. I can’t say at any point Darnold for a good stretch has done very well. Based off their most recent season it’s a lateral move at best for me.

This is kind of what I'm saying.  Bridgewater, whether due to a lack of willingness and/or physical talent, simply couldn't take advantage of the throws that were in front of him.  I am cautiously optimistic, 75% of that being because I am a homer, but the other 25% is me genuinely being a huge fan of the work Joe Brady did last year at OC.  My main criticism would have been his red-zone play-calling, but even that is something that could come down to personnel (Bridgewater not willing to make the tight throws necessary down there + for as good as our weapons were, we admittedly lacked a strong red-zone option with McCaffrey injured).  I think Brady should do even better in Year 2 calling plays, and if Darnold fails, it won't be because he didn't have the opportunities.  The throws will be there.

I hope he works out, because DJ Moore deserves his respect as a top 8 WR in the game.  And it is about time he gets good QB play for the entire season.

I don't see Sewell falling to us, but he'd be an incredible pick at #8 and would give our offense even more flexibility to dial-up more deep shots.  But right now I see the Panthers either going LT or CB. Maybe, maybe wide receiver... keep in mind that DJ Moore will need an extension soon (although we do have his 5th-year option) and Robby Anderson is on his last year.  I think WR is a dark-horse for us in the 1st round that hasn't been talked about enough.  But LT (Sewell, possibly Slater) or Surtain are a bit more likely, assuming we don't trade down.

Edited by iknowcool

18 hours ago, iknowcool said:

One thing I’ve found interesting is that despite Darnold’s lackluster performances, especially given his draft status, Jets fans always seem very supportive of him. At least anytime I ever read a Jets fan talk about hum

He comes off as a good guy. I would say the majority of Jets fan like him and wanted him to succeed until the very end. The majority of us probably also felt he needed a change of scenery.

We’re probably split down the middle whether he can become a good QB. I think he can. His biggest issue is his poor deep ball accuracy and his inconsistent footwork (both of those are related). He also plays hero ball which tends to end poorly for him. 

The environment was definitely a factor. His poor footwork and deep ball accuracy are on him to fix. I don’t think you can coach the hero ball out of him. But the coaches need to fix his footwork. Otherwise he will continue to throw a poor deep ball