Jets trade Sam Darnold to Panthers for 2021 6th, 2022 2nd and 4th

carrolljcmc

12 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Bridgewater was in a great position last year.

...on the 4th worst (DVOA) offense of 2019, which he helped improve to 12th worst in 2020, without its only offensive threat for 13 of 16 games.

As a marginal Top 32 QB Teddy Bridgewater (PFF:29th, FPPG:24th) remains the starter because, in addition to other advantages, he is significantly better than Sam Darnold (PFF:35th, FPPG:39th;  roughly:  Drew Lock with a weaker arm).

I think this is a tough spot as you can see both sides of this. You could blame Darnold for being bad but you can also blame the supporting cast around him with oline and weapons never materializing. Not to mention the lack of coaching ability to put him on the right track. So can Darnold be blamed for bad performance probably but you can also blame everything else around him too. It is tough to see what the Dolphins got, knowing that is what the Jets could have had, if they kept darnold. However if darnold is bad then whats the point they will need to get a new qb and they may not pick at #2 next year just based on the hiring of better coaching staff then the previous regime will get them a few more wins in 2021 season. Douglas could look like a genius if Wilson does in fact end up being the guy they hoped Darnold could be. However if he doesn't pan out and/or Darnold looks like what they thought he could be once on the Panthers then Douglas wouldn't look so smart. It is a toss up that only time will tell. No matter what 2 people lost today and that is Bridgewater and Watson. Bridgewater may land another shot at starting but the chances of him being a franchise qb are slim and likely a career backup. As for Watson that is now one less team that would be interested in trading for him and it looks like he will stay a Texan for atleast this year.

5 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

...on the 4th worst (DVOA) offense of 2019, which he helped improve to 12th worst in 2020, without its only offensive threat for 13 of 16 games.

As a marginal Top 32 QB Teddy Bridgewater (PFF:29th, FPPG:24th) remains the starter because, in addition to other advantages, he is significantly better than Sam Darnold (PFF:35th, FPPG:39th;  roughly:  Drew Lock with a weaker arm).

How are you comparing stats from 2019 to 2020. It was completely a different coaching regime and should bare no impact on what 2019 performance did. Your best chances of comparing who is better is based on what Darnold does for Rhule/Brady in 2021 then what Bridgewater did for them in 2020. You can argue that Rhule/Brady were the reason for them to improve their offense and that Rivera's coaching staff was holding the offense weapons back.  You can also argue that Darnold did not have any where close to the supporting cast then what Bridgewater had in 2020. As the best player on that team was a slot receiver in crowder and thats all they had to give him.

Edited by soflbillsfan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Panthers offensive coaching was much, much better in 2020, not to mention we added Robby Anderson too.  Yes, we didn't have McCaffrey, but Davis, while not as good, still played well and put up over 1,000 yards.

Again, we were only the 5th team in NFL history with 4 players to record over 1,000 yards.  You cannot tell me Bridgewater didn't have the guys around him to produce.  And he failed to produce.  He was in a good spot and had plenty of chances to execute.  He did not.  Yes if you want to directly compare the offense to 2019 without any context, sure, he "improved" us.  But that completely ignores a buttload of context.  

If Bridgewater was any good, then how do you only throw 14 TDs with Moore, Anderson, and Samuel?  Dalton in 4 less games (6 less starts) threw for only 1 less touchdown.  He stinks.  That TD production is too got dang awful to have in 2020.  I'm not sure why people wanna make excuses for him.  I mean did you watch him play?

And again, nobody is saying Darnold is better (although he undoubtedly has more potential and skill-set wise, is a better fit for the system).  But Bridgewater is not decent and he did not get the short-end of the stick.  He had his chance last year and played with a gutless mentality.  That is why Rhule was 100% over him by seasons end.  Not to mention the amount of times Bridgewater failed to take accountability.  Another reason why Panthers fans dislike him so much.  We went from a QB who was the best leader you could ask for and someone who never made excuses and someone who cared about winning more than anything else, to Teddy.  It just made no sense for Hurney to cut Cam and sign Teddy.  I'd rather watch a broken down Cam who cares about winning and will do whatever it takes to win.

Edited by iknowcool

1 hour ago, LinebackerGod said:

A lot, for a non-Jets fan. That roster is vomit-inducing. You’ve got some solid defensive players scattered in there, but a literal hot pile of garbage at all of the skill positions. Plus, the OL is trash aside from Becton, who can’t block all 4 DL by himself.

Darnold was not good, but he was literally in the worst possible spot in the NFL. It’s easy to blame Darnold, but the Jets are an abortion, my friend. 

The Jets have not had a good roster from the time Sams been here. However he’s also been part of the problem. He’s a great kid but just not consistent. He’s had wide open receivers which he would regularly miss. His scanning of the field and downfield vision is poor. His turnovers carried over since his USC days. 

You came in hot and heavy with your assessment of the decision to trade Sam and start over with a rookie. It’s certainly debatable as trading down would of resulted in a huge draft haul. However it was the right decision to move on.

The fact that most Jets fans have the same assumption and have watched every game and every throw (and every turnover) says it all. 

I think Sam is fixable. I really do. I think the situation in New York was bad enough to say definitively "we can't judge him yet". I am usually all-in on the idea that QBs show you who they are by year three, but I think Darnold, particularly in 2020, had that stolen from him. His receivers were god awful. His oline was abysmal. His running game didn't exist. It's a very short list of QBs who can succeed in that environment, and we haven't even gotten to the issue of Adam Gase, who has now been fired from two head coaching jobs in three years.

Not to say I think Sam comes to Carolina, blows the league wide open and wins titles hand over fist. But to say he's not an upgrade over Teddy is laughable.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cypher said:

I think Sam is fixable. I really do. I think the situation in New York was bad enough to say definitively "we can't judge him yet". I am usually all-in on the idea that QBs show you who they are by year three, but I think Darnold, particularly in 2020, had that stolen from him. His receivers were god awful. His oline was abysmal. His running game didn't exist. It's a very short list of QBs who can succeed in that environment, and we haven't even gotten to the issue of Adam Gase, who has now been fired from two head coaching jobs in three years.

Not to say I think Sam comes to Carolina, blows the league wide open and wins titles hand over fist. But to say he's not an upgrade over Teddy is laughable.

You claim "to say he's not an upgrade over Teddy is laughable".....What supposedly makes him so much better than Teddy?    Im not saying there arent things that Darnold probably does better, but the only thing that notably stands out is the fact that Darnold has more upside, while Teddy pretty much is what he is at this point.

Sure, Gase is garbage, and maybe Darnold will be better in Carolina than Teddy was, but seems like some people are just blindly assuming that Darnold is going to turn it around the same way Tannehill did after leaving Gase.

I guess in many cases, it comes down to how much you liked Darnold coming out.   I always thought it was laughable Darnold went first overall.     I thought he was a mid 2nd round prospect WHEN HE WAS DRAFTED, so giving that much up for him NOW is crazy.   

This reminds me of the Browns kicking the tires on RGIII several years ago. A former very high pick and at worst, likely a guy who is still as good as anyone else on your roster, and maybe you catch lightning in a bottle.

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

This reminds me of the Browns kicking the tires on RGIII several years ago. A former very high pick and at worst, likely a guy who is still as good as anyone else on your roster, and maybe you catch lightning in a bottle.

The RGII trade was under much different circumstances though because he had already torn his ACL twice and fractured his ankle as a guy who's best trait was his mobility. Darnold's lack of success has been more so because he has been in a terrible situation. 

22 minutes ago, 43M said:

Im not saying there arent things that Darnold probably does better, but the only thing that notably stands out is the fact that Darnold has more upside, while Teddy pretty much is what he is at this point.

The Panthers obviously aren't happy with Bridgewater and realized that they weren't going to be able to get their guy at QB in the draft so they took a swing on Darnold. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The RGII trade was under much different circumstances though because he had already torn his ACL twice and fractured his ankle as a guy who's best trait was his mobility. Darnold's lack of success has been more so because he has been in a terrible situation. 

I don't disagree, hence the value (free agent vs. draft picks), but the reality is, you're basically hoping Darnold is the answer/you can develop him, but the likelihood and historical precedent isn't great for rehabilitated/former "bust" quarterbacks.

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

again, it's a bluff.

But it seems the desperate Belichick will bite.

Agreed, although I wouldn't use the term "desperate".  Even the Talking Heads and schmocks have abandoned the peculiar delusion that Atlanta would consider a QB at #4.  I could see the Falcons standing pat but the odds are overwhelming they'll trade down.

Just as San Francisco when healthy--who really should change their surname to "49ers When Healthy"--has the most talent (i.e. highest PFF aggregate) in the NFC, solid coaching and free agent wrangling have made the Patriots the strongest in the AFC.  For both teams, the QB spot is the bottleneck.  There is no doubt that Belichick will try to do what Shanahan/Lynch did, selling the farm to trade up into the top 4 and get either Fields or Jones.  Bill might not be as successful, though.  If Denver isn't happy with Trey Lance at #9, they might compete for the #4 slot and their 2022/2023 draft choices could be more attractive than New England's.  I like BB's chances but we'll see.

Incidentally and for what it's worth, Shanahan and Belichick might put out smokescreen statements from the comfort and convenience of their office.  Traveling halfway across the country to be the only two drafting in the top 16 to watch a Pro Day?  That is not just genuine but keen interest.

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

But Teddy is such a far better decision maker. 

In 38 starts Darnold has 45 TD and 39 INT while in 49 starts Bridgewater has 53 TD and 36 INT playing with more talent around him. 

When you look at the second half of the 2019 season when Darnold was healthy he threw for 1,947 yards (61% comp), 13 TD, 4 INT and the Jets were 6-2 down the stretch.