Jets trade Sam Darnold to Panthers for 2021 6th, 2022 2nd and 4th

carrolljcmc

4 hours ago, SBLIII said:

I'm sure ATL is doing their due diligence and seeing what offers are out their but ultimately they will take Lance or Fields. 

Ryan only has a couple years left in him before he starts to severely decline. The chances of building a Superbowl roster around him in that time is very low. 

This Falcons roster has a ton of holes on it and are capped out for this season. 

Much smarter to take a QB if you feel a franchise guy is available and lock down the most important position in all of sports for the next 15 years. 

Ryan isn't immoveable next year, and could even be used as a post June 1st move to spread out the dead cap hit. 

26 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

Out of 42 QBs ranked over the last 3 years who have thrown 500 passes, Darnold ranks 41st in passer rating and adjusted yards per attempt. Only Rosen is worse.

He is really young though (younger than Joe Burrow) and he did have the Gase treatment. Either way, give me Zach Wilson every day of the week. 

The Gase thing is ridiculous. The Jets were competitive with Flacco under center last year. Darnold is garbage juice. I hope the kid turns it around but literally no one has flat out held him responsible for his poor play. 

4 hours ago, iknowcool said:

This is kind of what I'm saying.  Bridgewater, whether due to a lack of willingness and/or physical talent, simply couldn't take advantage of the throws that were in front of him.  I am cautiously optimistic, 75% of that being because I am a homer, but the other 25% is me genuinely being a huge fan of the work Joe Brady did last year at OC.  My main criticism would have been his red-zone play-calling, but even that is something that could come down to personnel (Bridgewater not willing to make the tight throws necessary down there + for as good as our weapons were, we admittedly lacked a strong red-zone option with McCaffrey injured).  I think Brady should do even better in Year 2 calling plays, and if Darnold fails, it won't be because he didn't have the opportunities.  The throws will be there.

I hope he works out, because DJ Moore deserves his respect as a top 8 WR in the game.  And it is about time he gets good QB play for the entire season.

I don't see Sewell falling to us, but he'd be an incredible pick at #8 and would give our offense even more flexibility to dial-up more deep shots.  But right now I see the Panthers either going LT or CB. Maybe, maybe wide receiver... keep in mind that DJ Moore will need an extension soon (although we do have his 5th-year option) and Robby Anderson is on his last year.  I think WR is a dark-horse for us in the 1st round that hasn't been talked about enough.  But LT (Sewell, possibly Slater) or Surtain are a bit more likely, assuming we don't trade down.

Darnold's downfield accuracy is dreadful. 

5 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The Gase thing is ridiculous. The Jets were competitive with Flacco under center last year. Darnold is garbage juice. I hope the kid turns it around but literally no one has flat out held him responsible for his poor play. 

Yeah he sucks. But Gase does seem to be some sort of hold - look at Tannehill? Not just Gase fault obviously

9 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

They were? 

Scored 10 points total against Arizona and Miami, then lost two close games vs NE and LAC (two losing teams). Flacco had a good game vs the Patriots and looked like a backup JAG the rest of the way. 

Guess we have different definitions of competitive...

• Like 1

So they're gambling that Darnold plus the recoup they'll get when they trade number 8 = a better situation than drafting Fields/Jones/Lance.

I don't make that gamble. I draft one of these QBs. Fields is a better prospect than Darnold was, and if only Jones is there - at least I don't have Darnold as my starting QB

7 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

So they're gambling that Darnold plus the recoup they'll get when they trade number 8 = a better situation than drafting Fields/Jones/Lance.

I don't make that gamble. I draft one of these QBs. Fields is a better prospect than Darnold was, and if only Jones is there - at least I don't have Darnold as my starting QB

No...they're "gambling" that NONE of the top 5 QBs will be there at #8. And they probably don't like the one they judge as fifth best all that much. Not that dumb at all, really. Denver might be trading up, for more than Carolina wanted to spend (especially to come away with a guy they may not like), Atlanta may pick a QB, same with Detroit, etc. 

They looked at the situation and realized they may not be able to even get a guy, or at least a guy they liked. So, they did the next best thing. Kudos to them. I hope it works out. 

6 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

* if Chase or Pitts there at 8 I wouldn't trade the pick, I'd run to the ballot box. But they won't be there.

One of them might be. We'll see. I think that, if they're not, whatever consolation prize is there will be a more-than-solid addition to their roster. 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

No...they're "gambling" that NONE of the top 5 QBs will be there at #8. And they probably don't like the one they judge as fifth best all that much. Not that dumb at all, really

Bad gamble. Yes, that's dumb actually. One will be there at 8, possibly 2. 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

Denver might be trading up, for more than Carolina wanted to spend (especially to come away with a guy they may not like), Atlanta may pick a QB, same with Detroit, etc. 

They looked at the situation and realized they may not be able to even get a guy, or at least a guy they liked. So, they did the next best thing. Kudos to them. I hope it works out. 

One of them might be. We'll see. I think that, if they're not, whatever consolation prize is there will be a more-than-solid addition to their roster. 

It's not guaranteed, but I'd definitely roll the dice on one of Lance or Fields being there at 8. We do have one guarantee - Darnold sucks and is a turnover machine. He'll be better on Carolina for sure, but what does that actually mean?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

Yeah he sucks. But Gase does seem to be some sort of hold - look at Tannehill? Not just Gase fault obviously

Tannehill looked good under Gase, his issues were injuries. People who continue to say that clearly have no idea what they're talking about. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

They were? 

Scored 10 points total against Arizona and Miami, then lost two close games vs NE and LAC (two losing teams). Flacco had a good game vs the Patriots and looked like a backup JAG the rest of the way. 

Guess we have different definitions of competitive...

Maybe competitive isn't the best word but we looked better with Flacco under center than Darnold. 

3 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Tannehill looked good under Gase, his issues were injuries. People who continue to say that clearly have no idea what they're talking about. 

I agree that his MAIN issue was injuries. But the football media sort of pushed the narrative that the guy was garbage. I think a lot of people formed opinions out of that. Why that narrative was pushed? I don't know.