Jets trade Sam Darnold to Panthers for 2021 6th, 2022 2nd and 4th

carrolljcmc

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I agree that his MAIN issue was injuries. But the football media sort of pushed the narrative that the guy was garbage. I think a lot of people formed opinions out of that. Why that narrative was pushed? I don't know. 

Because he was deemed a savior to a failing franchise. The expectations were out the roof. Factor in their owner calling Gase the next Shula. Luck and Wilson being great QBs in the same draft class. That’s just how narrative are created. And then he gets hurt during half his tenure.

Kid was never terrible and oddly enough Mike Shanahan wanted him over RG3 and what system did he elevate his game in with Tennessee. It’s hilarious how it all comes full circle.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Can jive with that. Sam looked like a broken QB at times.

He definitely was. In Carolina I feel mentally he’ll have a ton of pressure off of him, he can hopefully play more relaxed and not feel like he has to be the savior. 

If he does that and cuts the turnovers down then he’ll be solid for them.

5 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Kid was never terrible and oddly enough Mike Shanahan wanted him over RG3 and what system did he elevate his game in with Tennessee. It’s hilarious how it all comes full circle.

Wow. Didn't even know that. And I lived in the D.C. area at the time. Zoinks!

Just to think--if Snyder hadn't vetoed all that, Tannehill and Shanahan might have won Super Bowls( or come close), and still be there? 

Utterly bonkers. 

Edited by Heinz D.

7 hours ago, xenajets said:

The Jets have not had a good roster from the time Sams been here. However he’s also been part of the problem. He’s a great kid but just not consistent. He’s had wide open receivers which he would regularly miss. His scanning of the field and downfield vision is poor. His turnovers carried over since his USC days. 

Great summary. I'm a USC alum. Darnold has the same issues as college...crank up delivery, erratic downfield, and turnover prone. Everyone roots for him no matter where plays but the turnovers don't go away. He gets tunnel vision and will hit a defender perfectly in stride.

In particular it shows up early in the season. Darnold always opens the season with moxie but then the interceptions show up in bunches the first 6-8 games, leading to more conservative approach the remainder of the season. The past two years it was ridiculous that his yards per completion dropped to Daniel Jones level and even below that. Every Dolphin fan knows Gase has inane fondness for underneath designs. At least Darnold did have that rookie season with 12 yards per completion. If Brady can tighten Darnold's delivery and eliminate those routes leading the receiver into a defensive back who Darnold won't see, it could be greater upside than estimated. I tend to give Matt Rhule the benefit of a doubt.

I saw a tweet yesterday that the Panthers coveted Mac Jones but once the 49ers made the deal with Miami the Panthers knew Jones was out of the picture so they had to look elsewhere. There is still strange denial around here regarding where Mac Jones is rated and when he will be picked. 

This is the tweet I am referring to. Not exactly high profile but I saw it immediately yesterday when this trade was announced. I believe it is likely accurate:

Edited by Awsi Dooger
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JJ6 said:

I'm sure ATL is doing their due diligence and seeing what offers are out their but ultimately they will take Lance or Fields. 

Ryan only has a couple years left in him before he starts to severely decline. The chances of building a Superbowl roster around him in that time is very low. 

This Falcons roster has a ton of holes on it and are capped out for this season. 

Much smarter to take a QB if you feel a franchise guy is available and lock down the most important position in all of sports for the next 15 years. 

Ryan isn't immoveable next year, and could even be used as a post June 1st move to spread out the dead cap hit. 

I don't think it's smart to be honest. If your roster has so many holes, it is going to be very difficult to change that during the rookie year deal of the new QB. And after paying the QB, winning the SB is almost impossible anyway.

Maybe the Falcons believe QB4 in this draft is awesome and can overcome everything. Possible. It just seems unlikely and the Falcons are waiting for a good offer to move out, get more picks and attack the weaknesses on the roster. Once Ryan is done, they are probably in a similar spot anyway due to QB play.

They will trade the pick unless nobody bites. Then maybe they pick a QB but it's not their preference.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The Gase thing is ridiculous. The Jets were competitive with Flacco under center last year. Darnold is garbage juice. I hope the kid turns it around but literally no one has flat out held him responsible for his poor play. 

The Jets went 6-2 and Darnold played well during the second half of the 2019 season when he was healthy. 

In Gase's 6 years as a head coach/offensive coordinator without Peyton Manning:

• 2015 - 21st in ypg, 23rd in ppg

• 2016 - 24th in ypg, 17th in ppg

• 2017 - 25th in ypg, 28th in ppg

• 2018 - 31st in ypg, 26th in ppg

• 2019 - 32nd in ypg, 32nd in ppg

• 2020 - 32nd in ypg, 31st in ppg

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

The Jets went 6-2 and Darnold played well during the second half of the 2019 season when he was healthy. 

In Gase's 6 years as a head coach/offensive coordinator without Peyton Manning:

• 2015 - 21st in ypg, 23rd in ppg

• 2016 - 24th in ypg, 17th in ppg

• 2017 - 25th in ypg, 28th in ppg

• 2018 - 31st in ypg, 26th in ppg

• 2019 - 32nd in ypg, 32nd in ppg

• 2020 - 32nd in ypg, 31st in ppg

You cant omit Peyton Manning. 

Darnold went 6-2 and played well under Gase. 

What your point?

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

You cant omit Peyton Manning. 

Darnold went 6-2 and played well under Gase. 

What your point?

So Gase with a top 3 QB in the history of the sport is a good coach but without one his offenses have regularly ranked near the bottom of the league. 

You said the Gase thing is ridiculous yet his offenses with Tannehill were some of the worst in the league and the Titans just had a top 5 offense with him at QB.