Jets trade Sam Darnold to Panthers for 2021 6th, 2022 2nd and 4th

carrolljcmc

1 minute ago, SBLIII said:

seems to me like the Panthers want to play chess here. They don't love any QBs except Wilson and Lawrence. They also know Denver at 9 has Drew Lock who is terrible. They also know the Patriots need a QB. I expect them to make 8 available via trade, collect more picks and stack there roster. If Darnold works out great, if not they strengthen their roster with additional talent and can make a big trade for a veteran QB in 2022. I do like this move.

If we trade down then this makes this trade well well worth this risk. I’m hoping we trade down unless Fields or Sewell fall to us.  MAYBEEEE Pitts.

As I said in the 49er forum, what makes this so interesting is that a team that was so highly coveting a quarterback clearly has one of the "big 5" rated far lower than the the other 4, because if you really think about it, they are in a good spot to get QB5. Atlanta trades with someone wanting QB4, Cincinnati will never move and Miami intentionally moved back up. Panthers easily can make the Trubisky trade to flip with Detroit unless the Lions really want to aggressively move down, and even then, there wouldn't be a reason to pull the trigger on this deal at the current point in time. Unless they have one guy lower than the rest and thought all 4 were going to be gone. 

So who's the #5 guy that they didn't like? 

Just now, iknowcool said:

If we trade down then this makes this trade well well worth this risk. I’m hoping we trade down unless Fields or Sewell fall to us.  MAYBEEEE Pitts.

I think this exactly is going to happen. You might even get the picks back from the Darnold trade. Seems to me a very smart move. Especially if they have a good idea that 2 of the top 5 QBs will be available at 8. Get a really good return for it and put Darnold in the hands of Joe Brady.

Like Joe Douglas said, Darnold’s story still hasn’t been written. This is likely a win win for both teams.

Let’s hope the Jets don’t surround Zach Wilson with the JV team we surrounded Darnold. Looks like we’re in better shape on paper.

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

Like Joe Douglas said, Darnold’s story still hasn’t been written. This is likely a win win for both teams.

Let’s hope the Jets don’t surround Zach Wilson with the JV team we surrounded Darnold. Looks like we’re in better shape on paper.

One thing I’ve found interesting is that despite Darnold’s lackluster performances, especially given his draft status, Jets fans always seem very supportive of him. At least anytime I ever read a Jets fan talk about hum

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

As I said in the 49er forum, what makes this so interesting is that a team that was so highly coveting a quarterback clearly has one of the "big 5" rated far lower than the the other 4, because if you really think about it, they are in a good spot to get QB5. Atlanta trades with someone wanting QB4, Cincinnati will never move and Miami intentionally moved back up. Panthers easily can make the Trubisky trade to flip with Detroit unless the Lions really want to aggressively move down, and even then, there wouldn't be a reason to pull the trigger on this deal at the current point in time. Unless they have one guy lower than the rest and thought all 4 were going to be gone. 

I guess they want someone to start ahead of Bridgewater right away, so Lance would probably make the least sense for them

20 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Why is darnold the solidified starter? Didnt this same regime pay Bridgewater a king ransom for his performance in NOLA?

because they just traded multiple draft selections and picked up the 5th year option on Darnold who is both younger and has a higher upside than Bridgewater

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think a trade up to 4 is not happening anymore. The Panthers and Broncos were those teams. Panthers have Darnold, Broncos don't have to move ahead of anyone anymore. In short, I think the Panthers might have screwed the Falcons with this trade.

Decent chance 2 top 5 QBs are on the board at 8 imo and the Panthers only like the top 2 QBs of this draft. 

Just now, SBLIII said:

I think a trade up to 4 is not happening anymore. The Panthers and Broncos were those teams. Panthers have Darnold, Broncos don't have to move ahead of anyone anymore. In short, I think the Panthers might have screwed the Falcons with this trade.

Decent chance 2 top 5 QBs are on the board at 8 imo and the Panthers only like the top 2 QBs of this draft. 

The trade up for #4 I'm wanting to see come from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back. I'm hoping New England goes all in.  

But if that's the case, this trade becomes even more interesting because it's not out of the realm that Carolina has a chance at two QBs in that scenario. Certainly not a given that Atlanta takes a QB at 4 if it sticks. 

20 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Bridgewater is HORRENDOUS.

I don’t think people realize how easy it could have been for him last year. Moore, Samuel, Davis all balled out, all put up 1,000 yards. Joe Brady put him in the best position possible. And he somehow only mustered 14 TDs.

I’m still forming my opinion/thoughts on this trade. But don’t get it twisted. Bridgewater’s timid play severely limited our offenses scoring productivity. 

He was on the right track until the ACL tear. Dang.

It wouldn't be a QB thread without me mentioning Deshaun Watson...

The conspiracy theory here in Houston is that Carolina knows what's going to drop tomorrow - Tony Buzbee has a noon press conference with "significant" news pertaining to the case.

Carolina was supposedly going "All in" on Watson - even with the allegations. (I'm not sure if I believe that, but let's pretend it's true). Perhaps something they've heard from someone that this case is going to turn south?

I dunno... I'm just upset nobody is making room for Watson anymore.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, SBLIII said:

I would say that if one of either Lance or Fields are on the board at #8, they too would be rocking in Carolina blue jerseys next season.