Jets trade Sam Darnold to Panthers for 2021 6th, 2022 2nd and 4th

carrolljcmc

23 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

If several of the top 5 QBs fall past Denver I think we could see 1-2 big trade ups. Right now I would still assume only QB #5 will be available after pick 9 but if Denver passes on a QB it gets really interesting.

This trade means that there's other stuff going on, and Carolina was skeptical any of the top five guys fall past Detroit.

25 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

99% of QB competitions are fake. Darnold is the starter unless he looks completely incompetent in the preseason.

I can see them sitting Darnold to start the year. Have him get his feet back under him. 

16 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Overpay. Can’t believe they got a 2nd

It IS an overpay. I wonder if there was bidding war.

14 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

turn it into 15 😉

If Carolina wasn't doubting a guy they liked would be there at #8, then they wouldn't have made the trade. They're much better off staying put. 

8 minutes ago, BringinDaPain said:

It means Mac Jones was never in our plan.

Or they thought there was no chance he made it to #8, which is a far more probable explanation.

I think this was a stellar move for us, honestly. We needed a QB badly, we would have had to sell the farm to probably overdraft Fields or Lance, and now we get someone with experience (granted, bad experience) that can hopefully flourish under Brady and Rhule. I'm not mad at the value. It's just what QBs are worth. If we can snag Sewell after this, I would lose my damn mind.

• Like 3

Just now, BringinDaPain said:

I would say that if one of either Lance or Fields are on the board at #8, they too would be rocking in Carolina blue jerseys next season.

I'm not sure about that. Sure, Atlanta or Detroit could pick a QB, they have intel that only Mac Jones is available at 8, but I don't see that.

I think they only love 2 QBs, they are gone and now want to trade the pick to a team that loves any of the top 5 QBs

1 minute ago, CKSteeler said:

Watson is going to be forced to crawl his way back to Houston and thank them for the opportunity.

...just like Jack Easterby planned. 

I hate that Easterby is going to win this war.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

This trade means that there's other stuff going on, and Carolina was skeptical any of the top five guys fall past Detroit.

In that scenario Atlanta and Detroit are picking QBs.

Not impossible certainly but I would be very surprised about that.

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

If Carolina wasn't doubting a guy they liked would be there at #8, then they wouldn't have made the trade. They're much better off staying put. 

People have different tastes. For instance, The Jets liked Sam Darnold... and Mark Sanchez... and Christian Hackenberg....... and Geno Smith...... and Kellen Clemons....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It wouldn't be a QB thread without me mentioning Deshaun Watson...

The conspiracy theory here in Houston is that Carolina knows what's going to drop tomorrow - Tony Buzbee has a noon press conference with "significant" news pertaining to the case.

Carolina was supposedly going "All in" on Watson - even with the allegations. (I'm not sure if I believe that, but let's pretend it's true). Perhaps something they've heard from someone that this case is going to turn south?

I dunno... I'm just upset nobody is making room for Watson anymore.

man, what a turn this whole Watson saga has taken

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It wouldn't be a QB thread without me mentioning Deshaun Watson...

The conspiracy theory here in Houston is that Carolina knows what's going to drop tomorrow - Tony Buzbee has a noon press conference with "significant" news pertaining to the case.

Carolina was supposedly going "All in" on Watson - even with the allegations. (I'm not sure if I believe that, but let's pretend it's true). Perhaps something they've heard from someone that this case is going to turn south?

I dunno... I'm just upset nobody is making room for Watson anymore.

Watson's not playing next year. Period. It doesn't matter how his various legal matters sort out (and it's looking like they won't sort out well). 

The league will suspend him for at least the entire season. No one is trading for him. 

• Like 1

I like it for both teams. Jets definitely need to move on and they're going QB at #2. Darnold could possibly be broken, but I think he still has talent and I think Carolina is a great landing spot for him. I hope he can improve. A 2022 second plus change is worth the gamble for Carolina, IMO.

Just now, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

shoulda just got the 3 to 4 1st rounders ppl were offering before the massage leaks got out

this trade to me means Carolina is out of the Watson Sweepstakes too 

no one has room for Watson anymore

Denver has room baby!