Jets trade QB Sam Darnold to Carolina

NewAge

Love this.

In my opinion, we just could not have gone into the season with Darnold as the starter again. He might be good elsewhere, and he might be good in Carolina with Joe Brady and being reuinted with Robby, but his time here was up and resetting the pay-the-QB clock makes sense for where this team is.

Considering how bad he was here under Gase most of the time, I'm happy with the return we got.

I hope he does well down there because he got a raw deal here and stayed classy. I could at least see him being an upgrade over Bridgewater, or at least more exciting with more boom and bust moments.

Good return with what we get in 2022. So next year we’ll be loaded in the draft. Might be a smarter trade for us with Covid restrictions not as big this next college season, to where the question marks on some guys aren’t as big as they are this draft.

9 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

What are you looking for in a QB prospect if you only think there is one QB in this draft?

First off people are still looking for the 1983 draft class. This just not happen. It is pretty rare you find 2 franchise QB in 1 draft. I only see T Law as it. The first thing I look at is the footwork. That really tells the story. Wilson footwork is below average to me which means he is average at best just like Sam. I think it is dumb to keep picking QB high because the odds are against you. I think you have to build and build them grab your QB. You are always going to have the QB hype no matter how good they are. The only draft that I can think of in my 35 years of watching football where the draft did not hype up QB was when Jim Drukenmiller was the first QB to go. We missed the boat with TLaw and we are trying to fool ourselves that these guys will be good. I want footwork and only TLaw is close 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Good return with what we get in 2022. So next year we’ll be loaded in the draft. Might be a smarter trade for us with Covid restrictions not as big this next college season, to where the question marks on some guys aren’t as big as they are this draft.

Especially small school prospects. lol

10 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Me neither but maybe they see something in him no one else has. One of the reasons they're moving on from Teddy is he cant throw deep and while Sam can throw deep he doesn't do it accurately. 

Perriman looked like a God with Flacco compared to what Darnold had him doing. 

I think this is a good situation for both teams. I always believed Sam would do better going to a team that has a QB he can backup for a year. My money was on Pitt, but Carolina is almost the same. They have an average QB they can win some games with but want to upgrade. They don’t think they can do it in the draft this year, so they get a guy who needs to be fixed. As I have mentioned previously, football coaches are arrogant and they believe they can fix the broken. I envision Teddy playing the season with Sam getting in a few games towards the end maybe starting the last two games. It is the best game plan for him. At the very least, Sam should sit half a season.  It will be expensive to keep both Sam and Teddy, but putting Sam in play game one is like putting a rookie to start game one.  He needs to sit and learn. Something we never did for him. 

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

First off people are still looking for the 1983 draft class. This just not happen. It is pretty rare you find 2 franchise QB in 1 draft. I only see T Law as it. The first thing I look at is the footwork. That really tells the story. Wilson footwork is below average to me which means he is average at best just like Sam. I think it is dumb to keep picking QB high because the odds are against you. I think you have to build and build them grab your QB. You are always going to have the QB hype no matter how good they are. The only draft that I can think of in my 35 years of watching football where the draft did not hype up QB was when Jim Drukenmiller was the first QB to go. We missed the boat with TLaw and we are trying to fool ourselves that these guys will be good. I want footwork and only TLaw is close 

But footwork is something that is at least somewhat coachable and Wilson's isn't bad, I won't say it's great but it's not nearly as bad as Darnolds. Wilson literally has everything that isn't coachable. Quick release, great accuracy, strong arm, feels the blitz, quick at processing what's in front of him. The kid has everything to be a star, hopefully we do enough this time around for him to realize that potential. 

Edited by mattmanz91

37 minutes ago, xrade said:

I think this is a good situation for both teams. I always believed Sam would do better going to a team that has a QB he can backup for a year. My money was on Pitt, but Carolina is almost the same. They have an average QB they can win some games with but want to upgrade. They don’t think they can do it in the draft this year, so they get a guy who needs to be fixed. As I have mentioned previously, football coaches are arrogant and they believe they can fix the broken. I envision Teddy playing the season with Sam getting in a few games towards the end maybe starting the last two games. It is the best game plan for him. At the very least, Sam should sit half a season.  It will be expensive to keep both Sam and Teddy, but putting Sam in play game one is like putting a rookie to start game one.  He needs to sit and learn. Something we never did for him. 

If Panthers aren't able to trade Teddy Bridgewater away then I can see Panthers declining Darnold's 5th year option and then extending him for 2 more seasons at affordable price.   NFL has been unkind toward young, struggling qbs lately so Panthers may take an advantage of that.

41 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

But footwork is something that is at least somewhat coachable and Wilson's isn't bad, I won't say it's great but it's not nearly as bad as Darnolds. Wilson literally has everything that isn't coachable. Quick release, great accuracy, strong arm, feels the blitz, quick at processing what's in front of him. The kid has everything to be a star, hopefully we do enough this time around for him to realize that potential. 

As far as inside pocket concern, that isn't an upgrade there.  Wilson has problem there.  That is why resetting service clock at low price is vital for Jets' developmental plan as it is too late for Darnold.

This a trade that probably will help both sides. Darnold is being put in a very good situation with 2 good WRs a star RB and a good OL. Along with a very good offensive minded HC (who we should’ve hired 2 years ago😉). I think they add even more to help Darnold with that 8th pick as well.

Now it’s time to help whoever we draft at 2. 

6 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Raise your hand if you thought JD would cut LeVeon Bell, trade Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold in his first two years. 

More embarrassing for us as a franchise is that Q and Becton are our only 1st rounders on this roster

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

More embarrassing for us as a franchise is that Q and Becton are our only 1st rounders on this roster

Even more embarrassing is that I still wear my Jet shirts. Outside!  In public!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

So one of the most coachable aspects of the position is the only thing you look for in a prospect?  Not arm strength, athletic ability, ability to read defenses, go through progressions, character, accuracy?

You probably hate Darnold then or was that you saying we should keep him?

Footwork typically impacts accuracy and you have two guys in Fields and Wilson who are both highly accurate passers.  Not sure why Wilson's footwork is such a concern when his accuracy is elite. 

You don't even have to go back 5 years to find a draft with 2 elite franchise QBs.  This draft is one of the best QB drafts in recent memory even better then the 2018 draft that was so highly regarded.

• Like 1