Jump to content

Jets trade QB Sam Darnold to Carolina


Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

More embarrassing for us as a franchise is that Q and Becton are our only 1st rounders on this roster

At least both look like legit future all pro cornerstone players.

Nice to have some of those to at least to build around.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Raise your hand if you thought JD would cut LeVeon Bell, trade Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold in his first two years. 

3 of them sucked for us and the other was selfish but yeah I didn't see it coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the best statements I heard is that top picks are expected to come in and elevate the talent around them, that's why they're picked that high. Quarterbacks who tend to be good or bad because of what's around them will always be holding the team back. Looking around the league, I see it with teams like the 49ers and Rams who have everything for a QB to succeed and went to Super Bowls with their guys and still moved on from them because they held them back from reaching their peak greatness. 

Darnold in Carolina wont be expected to elevate the team around him, I think that alone eases some pressure off of him. I mean he's still going to a bad football team but they're relatively young, especially on defense. But with the pressure off him even if he isn't great, he can play without being the savior. 

Edited by KingOfNewYork
Link to post
Share on other sites

The only quarterback in recent memory that was a high draft pick who showed absolutely nothing their first 3 seasons and their team stuck with them and it worked to my knowledge is Alex Smith. That’s just how the league works. Hell trubisky has been to the playoffs and a pro bowl and they canned him after 4. Sam hasn’t even come close to achieving anything in 3 years and that’s the bottom line that’s how this league works.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

The only quarterback in recent memory that was a high draft pick who showed absolutely nothing their first 3 seasons and their team stuck with them and it worked to my knowledge is Alex Smith. That’s just how the league works. Hell trubisky has been to the playoffs and a pro bowl and they canned him after 4. Sam hasn’t even come close to achieving anything in 3 years and that’s the bottom line that’s how this league works.

The fact that Alex Smith was a number 1 picks bad enough in its own right.  Guy was so far from a franchise QB it's not even funny.  What an awful pick he was.  

He turned himself into a solid QB but let's not make him out to be something he's not, a franchise QB.  Wherever he was the team was looking to upgrade rather quickly.

Sam is just never going to be that guy.  Can he work his way to into the top 25, top 20 maybe but are we ever going to be talking about Sam as a long term answer or just another guy with promise who teams take a shot on a quickly look to upgrade.  We all know it's the latter of the two.

For ever Brees there are a million failures.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

At least both look like legit future all pro cornerstone players.

Nice to have some of those to at least to build around.

Yeah... good thing that both aren't on the end of rookie contract today.  Right timing for JD to rebuild the franchise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

The only quarterback in recent memory that was a high draft pick who showed absolutely nothing their first 3 seasons and their team stuck with them and it worked to my knowledge is Alex Smith. That’s just how the league works. Hell trubisky has been to the playoffs and a pro bowl and they canned him after 4. Sam hasn’t even come close to achieving anything in 3 years and that’s the bottom line that’s how this league works.

2nd year was not that bad for Norv Turner's offense but Turner took Chargers job after one year work with Smith.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

The fact that Alex Smith was a number 1 picks bad enough in its own right.  Guy was so far from a franchise QB it's not even funny.  What an awful pick he was.  

He turned himself into a solid QB but let's not make him out to be something he's not, a franchise QB.  Wherever he was the team was looking to upgrade rather quickly.

Sam is just never going to be that guy.  Can he work his way to into the top 25, top 20 maybe but are we ever going to be talking about Sam as a long term answer or just another guy with promise who teams take a shot on a quickly look to upgrade.  We all know it's the latter of the two.

For ever Brees there are a million failures.  

Yup and let’s not forget Drew Brees made The playoffs and a pro bowl his 3rd year as a starter in San Diego he was really solid 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

Yup and let’s not forget Drew Brees made The playoffs and a pro bowl his 3rd year as a starter in San Diego he was really solid 

Brees was top pick of 2ND ROUND. lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

“The guide for the deal was the trade the Arizona Cardinals made in 2019, sending quarterback Josh Rosen – like Darnold, a QB from the Class of 2018 – to the Miami Dolphins for a second- and fifth-round pick. 

They were always asking for more than that, a source said, which is why the Panthers offered a second and a fourth. 

Fitterer said that Panthers were adamant about not giving up those picks this year, so the Jets agreed to take them next year instead if the Panthers threw in a 2021 sixth-round pick, which they did.”

https://sny.tv/articles/jets-sam-darnold-trade-panthers-behind-scenes

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

2nd year was not that bad for Norv Turner's offense but Turner took Chargers job after one year work with Smith.

I think Smith had a different OC every year until Harbaugh came. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...