Jets trade QB Sam Darnold to Carolina

NewAge

And this is one reason I have faith in JD. He put a lot of consideration into this affair. Will it be the correct move, who knows, but it will not be for lack of thought. I expect this process happens in all the moves he makes. Certainly some moves are made with more care, but there is thought involved. I don’t understand all the OG moves he made but my faith in JD leads me to be believe he has a plan that we don’t fully know just yet.

Now we just have to wait and see if it is the right plan. 

12 hours ago, xrade said:

And this is one reason I have faith in JD. He put a lot of consideration into this affair. Will it be the correct move, who knows, but it will not be for lack of thought. I expect this process happens in all the moves he makes. Certainly some moves are made with more care, but there is thought involved. I don’t understand all the OG moves he made but my faith in JD leads me to be believe he has a plan that we don’t fully know just yet.

Now we just have to wait and see if it is the right plan. 

No solid investment in IOL and CB should mean JD strong likely draft CB and IOL that high. I call this guaranteed since Jets have 6 picks in first 107.

23 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

No solid investment in IOL and CB should mean JD strong likely draft CB and IOL that high. I call this guaranteed since Jets have 6 picks in first 107.

Well the CB FA market was not great, either backups, past their prime, or overpriced. CB is an expensive position to fill in FA (and tag) so I do expect CB to be addressed on day 1 or 2.

But what is with all the scrub OG’s he is signing between this year and last year?  It just really reeks of desperation to get as many in and see if one pans out. It’s like buying a thousand lottery tickets. Chances are you won’t hit but buying that many increases the odds no matter how low they are in actuality. We all assume he will address iOL early, but all these scrub signings makes me wonder. If he is planning on going iOL early, why sign Levin at this juncture?

42 minutes ago, xrade said:

Well the CB FA market was not great, either backups, past their prime, or overpriced. CB is an expensive position to fill in FA (and tag) so I do expect CB to be addressed on day 1 or 2.

But what is with all the scrub OG’s he is signing between this year and last year?  It just really reeks of desperation to get as many in and see if one pans out. It’s like buying a thousand lottery tickets. Chances are you won’t hit but buying that many increases the odds no matter how low they are in actuality. We all assume he will address iOL early, but all these scrub signings makes me wonder. If he is planning on going iOL early, why sign Levin at this juncture?

We also have a HC that runs a certain system on defense and might target a certain guy that fits that that isn't a top tier guy. But fits what he wants great. SF CB group was generally a bunch of late round picks, cast offs and such.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

50 minutes ago, xrade said:

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We also have a HC that runs a certain system on defense and might target a certain guy that fits that that isn't a top tier guy. But fits what he wants great. SF CB group was generally a bunch of late round picks, cast offs and such.

Someone posted an article in the draft thread about the Wide Zone scheme we're expected to run on offense.  All of the 49ers starting iOL players were late picks or un-drafted, and the OTs were drafted high.  Obviously JD didn't know we would be running this offense last season, but perhaps that's the reason for lack of investment in the iOL this year.  

And if that's the case, don't be upset if we don't take iOL early.  I want one like the rest of us, but JD might think spending high on CB is a better bet since the offensive scheme doesn't seem to require elite players on the interior.  Or he might be more inclined to spend the higher picks on a tackle.

For example I could see CB, EDGE, OT or WR being the picks at 23 and 34.  G/C get attention round 3 or later.  

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Levin is nothing. 

1 hour ago, Fort4242 said:

Someone posted an article in the draft thread about the Wide Zone scheme we're expected to run on offense.  All of the 49ers starting iOL players were late picks or un-drafted, and the OTs were drafted high.  Obviously JD didn't know we would be running this offense last season, but perhaps that's the reason for lack of investment in the iOL this year.  

And if that's the case, don't be upset if we don't take iOL early.  I want one like the rest of us, but JD might think spending high on CB is a better bet since the offensive scheme doesn't seem to require elite players on the interior.  Or he might be more inclined to spend the higher picks on a tackle.

For example I could see CB, EDGE, OT or WR being the picks at 23 and 34.  G/C get attention round 3 or later.  

I believe I posted that article. Your right, SF got by with lesser talented OG options. I am just of the belief that talent trumps system. With a rookie QB, don’t get cute, protect the young lad. Getting OT that can play inside and slide to RT should Fant not prove his worth is a great option. That is why I like a guy like Jenkins at 23, but he probably won’t be there.  I also think there will be some decent OG prospects in round 3, I just don’t want to gamble on it. Too important to the health if this O to gamble on it. 

1 hour ago, Fort4242 said:

Yeah... IOL doesn't require solid hand technique to make wide zone work.  However, Saints and 49ers are able to run a variant of zone assignments because of better hand usage.  If IOL with most packaged skill set is available to Jets, Jets should take him.  It may help Jets to get more creative plays on ground instead of predictable craps.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Yeah... IOL doesn't require solid hand technique to make wide zone work.  However, Saints and 49ers are able to run a variant of zone assignments because of better hand usage.  If IOL with most packaged skill set is available to Jets, Jets should take him.  It may help Jets to get more creative plays on ground instead of predictable craps.

We have first hand knowledge of what strong OL play can do for a team. Our team is only ever good when the OL is good so that's not a coincidence. Douglas also comes from the same mindset so I definitely see an investment there but I also dont rule out what he does in the mid rounds with guys. That's why I view Clark as a guy to watch. Every draft pick isn't going to have an impact year 1 or even year 2 in some cases. But they're future investments and when they're opportunity is available the hope is they step up and prove their worth. 

5 hours ago, xrade said:

I was thinking the same thing about the O guard position. This last guy he just picked up spent more time with practice squad than he did on the teams roster, the last four years.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

I was thinking the same thing about the O guard position. This last guy he just picked up spent more time with practice squad than he did on the teams roster, the last four years.

Maybe we are just not meant to understand the workings of HIM. I will feel a lot better if we invest in iOL at 23 or 34. 

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Maybe we are just not meant to understand the workings of HIM. I will feel a lot better if we invest in iOL at 23 or 34. 

Ya I mean OL is a spot that you get great use out of a guy if they pan out. It’s certainly worth valuable picks. And with a rookie QB... we could use a good OL and run game.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya I mean OL is a spot that you get great use out of a guy if they pan out. It’s certainly worth valuable picks. And with a rookie QB... we could use a good OL and run game.

Everything on O starts with the OL. You can get by with a lesser QB or RB if the OL is rock solid. And then when the QB has time, lesser WR look good. It’s all about the OL.

• Like 1

The OL is the priority, CB secondary, OLB could be a surprising pick even as early as round 1. The draft is loaded with talented OL even going into the 3rd round. Walker Little should be available in round 3 and would be a steal.

As for what the Jets received for Darnold, the question is how much better does Darnold make Carolina? 3 games, 5 games better ? A 500 team at 8-8?

Draft capitol wise I'll take what the Panthers are giving all day long, and should they flop, or Darnold continue without improving (I wish him well) then all the better.

Just like Seattle, with all the turmoil there, who knows maybe they go 8-8. I would love it. Jamal Adams has not yet begun to fight. Wait until he starts complaining about not having a contract.. What a headache he was, good riddance.