Jets trade QB Sam Darnold to Carolina

NewAge

22 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Well I was only discussing the why Sam sucked debate. Yes money was a huge factor in him leaving. 

And that is why he is not here. His “potential” and “lack of weapons” debate can’t overcome the $ issue. Conversely, if he had another year, “potential “ and “lack of weapons” would be why he would still be here.

I am with you in that I have seen Sam make too many bad decisions and generally look clueless out there. To me, he will never be more that average at best. But, I could justify to myself that if he had another year, JD could have used all the FA $ and draft capital to give him what he needed and build the rest of the team. Then if he did not look like the savior we drafted him to be, sayonara. Then we would be 100% certain Sam just sucks. 

8 hours ago, xrade said:

And that is why he is not here. His “potential” and “lack of weapons” debate can’t overcome the $ issue. Conversely, if he had another year, “potential “ and “lack of weapons” would be why he would still be here.

I am with you in that I have seen Sam make too many bad decisions and generally look clueless out there. To me, he will never be more that average at best. But, I could justify to myself that if he had another year, JD could have used all the FA $ and draft capital to give him what he needed and build the rest of the team. Then if he did not look like the savior we drafted him to be, sayonara. Then we would be 100% certain Sam just sucks. 

So if he was going into year 3 instead of year 4 you would have kept him?

6 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

So if he was going into year 3 instead of year 4 you would have kept him?

I would not have kept him. I believe JD would have and I would not have been too uptight about it. 

On 5/23/2021 at 6:49 AM, xrade said:

I would not have kept him. I believe JD would have and I would not have been too uptight about it. 

Connor Hughes said they graded Wilson higher than Darnold. I do think Darnold would have been worth more on the trade market last year. I think we could have easily netted a 1+

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Connor Hughes said they graded Wilson higher than Darnold. I do think Darnold would have been worth more on the trade market last year. I think we could have easily netted a 1+

Who knows how they graded him, but the fact that Sam is gone and Zach is here suggests the obvious which is a higher grade on Zach.

I don’t think JD would dump Sam just for $. Everything JD did this offseason suggests very clearly that he was OK with Sam but if one of the draft eligible QB showed better potential, then it is a no brainer to get that potential and reset the QB salary scale. I think it was also quite clear that JD liked Wilson but wanted to see him live at his pro day. Hell, he said he would wait until the Wilson and Fields pro days.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Who knows how they graded him, but the fact that Sam is gone and Zach is here suggests the obvious which is a higher grade on Zach.

I don’t think JD would dump Sam just for $. Everything JD did this offseason suggests very clearly that he was OK with Sam but if one of the draft eligible QB showed better potential, then it is a no brainer to get that potential and reset the QB salary scale. I think it was also quite clear that JD liked Wilson but wanted to see him live at his pro day. Hell, he said he would wait until the Wilson and Fields pro days.

Well Hughes said it. He had confirmed for him. Douglas said you never draft a guy unless you see him throw in person but he also said it became pretty clear early on and that the pro day pretty much wrapped it all up. 

I think money played a factor still, the commitment for us based on what we already knew and the cost was enough to think about re-setting the clock. I just think overall we lucked into a great situation. Perfect prospect for our new offense came available at the perfect time.