Jets trade QB Sam Darnold to Carolina

NewAge

Just now, JetsandI said:

And it also suggests that we could not focus on one side heavily.

Yeah, I've always said we have to focus on both sides of the ball if we're trying to win the AFC. There are a lot of young talented QBs in the AFC that teams will build around this year. Burrow, Herbert, Allen, Mahomes, and etc. We'll need a defense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malik said:

You don't draft a guy #2 overall to sit him in 2021. The only notable QBs you have sat recently where Aaron Rodgers (who was behind a top 10 all time QB) and Alex Smith (a pro bowl QB). The likelihood of Darnold immediately becoming a good starter is unlikely. QBs who have played as poorly as Sam has played have very rarely even even become average. Also you're assuming that the Panthers would even consider making it conditional. They were the only team fighting to get him

So, not only do you want to keep on losing in perpetuity, but you also want our shiny new QB to get destroyed in year 1? Gotcha.

19 minutes ago, drew39k said:

This trade has to potential to blow up in Douglass's face. 

We don't have a vet that can start. That means we are going to be starting Wilson, without even needing to win a camp battle.

Wilson mind you has one season of high play. The guy didn't even go into last year as the unquestioned starter of his team.

Rookie Head coaches rarely mix well with rookie QBs

We failed to at least protect the value of the pick we got. It should have been tied to Darnold and the Panthers success next year. If Darnold takes the next step and the Panthers play into the playoffs we will have traded away a young talented franchise qb for.... A late second round pick... That needed to be a conditional pick. 

If Wilson busts I'm out. Too many short sighted stupid decisions by this franchise.

And if we didn’t draft Wilson and he became the next Mahomes whilst we let Sam walk next year after another bad year then what?!?!? 

Every deal has the potential to be successful or unsuccessful. The trade was a good one considering it’s a qb rich draft (probs the best one in years!) 

Sammy is a good kid, took his bumps, never blamed anyone and was always accountable unlike Blitz Boy Adams. 

I hope he's successful even if he never reaches his long term potential. He deserves it at the end of the day. 

The one thing we do have to look forward to with Carolina is the Rhule/Darnold combo. If Mike Macaggnan didn't insist on picking his staff that would have been our HC/QB duo. So its kinda like watching a parallel universe play out in front of our eyes. They even got Robby lol. 

Good luck Sam, thanks for all the memories, good, bad and ugly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Sammy is a good kid, took his bumps, never blamed anyone and was always accountable unlike Blitz Boy Adams. 

I hope he's successful even if he never reaches his long term potential. He deserves it at the end of the day. 

The one thing we do have to look forward to with Carolina is the Rhule/Darnold combo. If Mike Macaggnan didn't insist on picking his staff that would have been our HC/QB duo. So its kinda like watching a parallel universe play out in front of our eyes. They even got Robby lol. 

Good luck Sam, thanks for all the memories, good, bad and ugly.

They even have Bridgewater, who is going to outplay Darnold for a second time in his career. I wonder if this time they trade Bridgewater because they don't want Darnold to feel any added pressure.

Obviously the 2nd rounder is the best of the bunch but this is the exact trade I wanted.  I wanted more picks not to use Sam in a trade up or anything.  I prefer JD to have a few extra swings later in the draft because if he hits on one it can be a huge boost to team needing talent in many places.

5 picks in the top 100 both this year and next year.  Could change the direction of the franchise if we hit on a few.

Glad the whole keep Sam crowd can fade out now.

Just now, Jag68Sid87 said:

They even have Bridgewater, who is going to outplay Darnold for a second time in his career. I wonder if this time they trade Bridgewater because they don't want Darnold to feel any added pressure.

I doubt they can trade that contract. It might be a full fledged competition but they gave up a 2/4/6 for Darnold. He's their guy going forward IMO. 

Bridgewater probably hates Darnold lol. 

1 minute ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Panthers gave up good amount of picks to acquire Darnold so they had plan for him. Otherwise, it isn't our problem.lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I doubt they can trade that contract. It might be a full fledged competition but they gave up a 2/4/6 for Darnold. He's their guy going forward IMO. 

Bridgewater probably hates Darnold lol. 

Darnold was our guy too, and he clearly outplayed him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malik said:

What are you talking about

If you want the No. 2 overall QB to start right away, we will lose a lot of games and he will get destroyed because of our bad offensive line, no true running back and his own lack of big-game experience.

4 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

If you want the No. 2 overall QB to start right away, we will lose a lot of games and he will get destroyed because of our bad offensive line, no true running back and his own lack of big-game experience.

It's almost like you can draft offensive linemen and a runningback! Jesus christ