Rhetorical: If Packers were offered a first round pick for Jordan Love, should they take it?

HeresAGuy

23 minutes ago, biggie. said:

I still have no idea what people see in Love. I get he looked good in 2018, but that was then and in 2019 he regressed significantly. The fact he couldn't beat out Tim Boyle to be the #2 should be extremely concerning to GB.

I believe his entire team and coaching staff changed from 2018 to 2019 and he was playing "hero ball" all season which, although perhaps necessary to keep his team competitive, reflected poorly on his draft stock.

Regarding your second sentence, it has been discussed ad nauseum and is absolutely of zero concern and anyone who feigns concern about it has no understanding of the situation/plan and how it unfolded. It is the most irrelevant thing on the face of earth, perhaps.

• Like 2

This is just typical internet mental masturbation. The Packers took the risk last season in drafting him and took the heat for it. They are not baling now, if they had any thought of trading him they would of re-signed Boyle as the backup. Add in that a trade of Love leads to over 2M cap hit for a team that has no cap space to speak of now.    

6 hours ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

I know you didn't like the pic. I didn't really like it either. I would have rather waited one year to draft a QB. But this sentence is just not true and makes no sense. How does he have no chance to contribute? Having a QB sit and learn, especially a raw prospect, is kind of a proven method to developing QB's. So if Love sits and starts in his fourth or even fifth year I would expect him to be able to come in and play at an NFL average level at that point. And if he comes in and plays at a top 10ish level after that for several years it is far from a wasted pick. Expectations of him to become another Favre-Rodgers QB are just dreaming though.

I wasnt clear, my apologies. I meant no chance of contributing while Rodgers is there. So whether thats next year or in two years or whenever, youve wasted the possibility of a legit contributor for multiple years waiting to get rid a top 5 QB of all time.... who had like 50 tds and 6 picks over the two previous years when you drafted his replacement. 

So again, just to be clear, its not that Love cant contribute eventually, its that he cant contribute when you have a SB contending team (mainly because Rodgers is at the helm).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

I wasnt clear, my apologies. I meant no chance of contributing while Rodgers is there. So whether thats next year or in two years or whenever, youve wasted the possibility of a legit contributor for multiple years waiting to get rid a top 5 QB of all time.... who had like 50 tds and 6 picks over the two previous years when you drafted his replacement. 

So again, just to be clear, its not that Love cant contribute eventually, its that he cant contribute when you have a SB contending team (mainly because Rodgers is at the helm).

Ok that’s more understandable. In the short term it looks like a wasted pick but like I said earlier if Love turns into a solid above average starter for many years after Rodgers leaves then the pick is worth it in the long term.  

On 4/6/2021 at 1:04 AM, Blue said:

This is embarrassing. Love couldn't even get activated for the playoffs.

If Love is as terrible as you are suggesting why would we let Boyle walk?

Edited by Pugger
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 9:22 AM, CrazyJoeDavola said:

But to answer the topic question. If they are offered any first round pick I think they would take it especially with Rodgers playing as he did. 

It might depend upon what that potential first round pick would be.  With Boyle gone that pick would have to be high enough to get another prospect or we'd have to sign another veteran to back up AR. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 1:35 PM, JBURGE said:

There are clearly a couple Packers fans in here who won't take no for an answer, but it doesn't mean that @Blue's argument is correct. Neither side budging is just a waste of time for everyone.

I think Love sucks tbh but I still think whoever took him knew it was a few year project. 

Nobody outside of the Packers' players and coaches have seen Love in action so it is rather presumptuous of any of us to declare Love a bust or a future starter.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Blue said:

Because they didn't spend a first round pick and a fourth round pick on Tim Boyle.

Even if a player you invested that much draft capital looks like crap you don't let the better player walk out the door - especially at that position.  Did the Packers' brass screw the pooch here?  We're gonna find out this year.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 10:20 AM, Outpost31 said:

ET sometimes has a hard time understanding overall points or following conversations, so he sees something like that and assumes I’m comparing Love to Mahomes.

He also had tremendous overliked guilt.

He knows he has way too many likes for the content he posts, so sometimes he throws likes out.

Wait a minute.  Why did I give you a football for this post?  I actually think @ET80is one of our best posters.  I think I was giving you a football for a different post. 

ET, if you saw my football, please disregard.  I think you're a rock star, buddy.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

Nobody outside of the Packers' players and coaches have seen Love in action so it is rather presumptuous of any of us to declare Love a bust or a future starter.

Exactly right, Pugger.  Everybody needs to at least wait and see the young man play until forming any real opinions on him.  Time will tell whether the pick was worth it or not.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Exactly right, Pugger.  Everybody needs to at least wait and see the young man play until forming any real opinions on him.  Time will tell whether the pick was worth it or not.

See, I'm not sure that time will tell.

There's always going to be fans somewhere talking about how GB could have had an impact rookie in 2020 that would have made a difference down the stretch.  I don't think that is the case, but I read about it often.

There's always going to be hindsight.

And regarding Love.....people will forget that Rodgers was regressing for a couple years prior to Love's arrival.  Rodgers was an MVP the season after Love was drafted and folks will assume he was still playing at that level for years prior.  And that isn't true.  Be it the HC (Mac vs. MLF), or be it the draft selection of Love, something lit a fire under Aaron.

Time will tell if Love can play in the NFL, but those other things will be mostly forgotten.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

There's always going to be fans somewhere talking about how GB could have had an impact rookie in 2020 that would have made a difference down the stretch.  I don't think that is the case, but I read about it often.

And regarding Love.....people will forget that Rodgers was regressing for a couple years prior to Love's arrival.  Rodgers was an MVP the season after Love was drafted and folks will assume he was still playing at that level for years prior.  And that isn't true.  Be it the HC (Mac vs. MLF), or be it the draft selection of Love, something lit a fire under Aaron.

Time will tell if Love can play in the NFL, but those other things will be mostly forgotten.

Danica was a downer.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Rodgers doesn't win MVP if we don't draft Love. I said it immediately after the pick: no other pick could have benefitted GB more in 2020 than the pick that motivated Rodgers to be better than he had been recently. His improvement (motivated by Love pick) improved the team more than any other rookie would have.

It will continue to be easy to dismiss people who think a different pick would have resulted in an improved team performance in 2020 because they are clueless.

• Like 1