Jump to content

Rhetorical: If Packers were offered a first round pick for Jordan Love, should they take it?


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

The 49ers SHOULD have taken him, for sure. But...the bull**** surrounding Rodgers was all about whether he was a product of "the Tedford system" (ridiculous) and the fact that he needed a lot of reworking to his mechanics (valid). 

There were reasons he struggled in his final season, but he had some nagging mechanical things that got even worse under those dire circumstances. He was viewed by absolutely everyone as a project. A worthy one--but still a project. 

There is a significant difference between wrinkles to iron out and being a full blown project.

Plus, you have to think value. If a guy a lot of people pegged as the first overall pick falls to you and you didn't have to move up, you do that every single time.

They didn't give up much to trade up for Love, but I think they could have done it even cheaper if they waited until the second round or something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nut said:

Plus, you have to think value. If a guy a lot of people pegged as the first overall pick falls to you and you didn't have to move up, you do that every single time.

A lot of teams passed on Rodgers so they obviously don't agree with you. We'll never know what he would have been if thrown to the wolves right away to start his career as he was a rare case of having years to sit and learn. But Rodgers wasn't all that impressive in the looks we did get at him early on.

No one is offering a high first for Love at this stage. The Packers aren't going to recoup value on him and they invested in him intending to give him a few years to learn the position at the pro level. I find the argument that he's a bust or disappointment ridiculous as nothing about his rookie season went any differently than expected.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Nut said:

Two COMPLETELY different scenarios.

Rodgers played very well in his final season at Cal and was a big favorite to go first overall. Him falling to 24th is one of life's biggest mysteries.

Love was a borderline first rounder who has good tape, but struggled in his final season and had a lot more question marks as a prospect.

Revisionist history at its finest

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Patrick Mahomes was some other nobody QB who was the third string QB.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/07/chiefs-release-first-2017-depth-chart/

This is the dumbest argument since, "Adrian Peterson is overrated because he might get hurt."

Exactly.

The only reason anyone thinks the Rodgers and Love situations are different is because they're using hindsight after Rodgers turned into the GOAT.

He looked terrible his first three years. Worse than Love probably. Just ask @Uncle Buck who looked better then: Rodgers, Tebow or Tarvaris Jackson.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Exactly.

The only reason anyone thinks the Rodgers and Love situations are different is because they're using hindsight after Rodgers turned into the GOAT.

He looked terrible his first three years. Worse than Love probably. Just ask @Uncle Buck who looked better then: Rodgers, Tebow or Tarvaris Jackson.

I'm still not why you always bring Tarvaris Jackson into it.  I was never that big of a fan of the guy.  We may have some discussions when neither of us knew what we really had, but whatever.

Tebow, on the other hand, I stand by everything I've ever said about him.  I'd still take him over Rodgers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Patrick Mahomes was some other nobody QB who was the third string QB.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/07/chiefs-release-first-2017-depth-chart/

This is the dumbest argument since, "Adrian Peterson is overrated because he might get hurt."

Eh. That lasted less than a month, though.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/archive/199/KC

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/archive/200/KC

The point is valid, but the details are incorrect, in this case. Mahomes was the #2 the whole regular season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Anybody remember how this place thought GB should have traded 2007 Rodgers and picks for grandpa Randy Moss? Lol

It's hilarious how everyone now KNEW how good Rodgers was back then.

 

Rodgers wasn't very good back in 2007.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A QB who goes in round 1 loses value in year 2 if they don't play. No way someone would give them a 1.

I get that people wish they can be like Rodgers.

If you are such a hypocrite that you can't understand why a team that drafted Rodgers when they had Favre would draft a QB while they had Rodgers then you are exactly like Rodgers in one aspect.

Its got no real value, but you can say you are like Aaron Rodgers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nut said:

Plus, you have to think value. If a guy a lot of people pegged as the first overall pick falls to you and you didn't have to move up, you do that every single time.

Not if you're the Bears. Well, as long as the prospect is a quarterback. 😆

1 hour ago, Nut said:

They didn't give up much to trade up for Love, but I think they could have done it even cheaper if they waited until the second round or something.

There were different reports the Bears were trying to trade up with the Seahawks. Gutekunst stopped Pace from getting Love. I'm convinced of it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Blue said:

I have no idea what point you were trying to make otherwise, because working with the starting quarterback each week to prepare for the game sounds like exactly the sort of thing you want your first-round pick you traded up for to do in order to  get him prepared to start if the starter gets hurt.

You said they wouldn’t trust Boyle to do anything other than turn around and hand off. I gave examples of how that would be false because of the input he had weekly with Rodgers. And yes the first round rookie I am sure was involved with it as well but a lot of the concepts are completely foreign to him and again this was Boyle’s third year in the system. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

You said they wouldn’t trust Boyle to do anything other than turn around and hand off. I gave examples of how that would be false because of the input he had weekly with Rodgers. And yes the first round rookie I am sure was involved with it as well but a lot of the concepts are completely foreign to him and again this was Boyle’s third year in the system. 

No, he would do nothing except hand the ball off and hope he didn't have to actually make a play at any point.

I gotta say it's amusing to see y'all try to talk up Tim Boyle to make yourselves feel better about Jordan Love failing to beat him out. I'm just waiting to hear the folk stories about how he went around the country planting pigskins and that's where high school football comes from.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...