Rhetorical: If Packers were offered a first round pick for Jordan Love, should they take it?

HeresAGuy

29 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Rodgers doesn't win MVP if we don't draft Love. I said it immediately after the pick: no other pick could have benefitted GB more in 2020 than the pick that motivated Rodgers to be better than he had been recently. His improvement (motivated by Love pick) improved the team more than any other rookie would have.

It will continue to be easy to dismiss people who think a different pick would have resulted in an improved team performance in 2020 because they are clueless.

Or it's just possible that a second year in a new system with a pretty strong supporting cast led to a better performance. But I would be pretty annoyed if it took using a first rounder on a potential replacement to light a fire under a player consuming that much of the salary cap.

17 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Or it's just possible that a second year in a new system with a pretty strong supporting cast led to a better performance. But I would be pretty annoyed if it took using a first rounder on a potential replacement to light a fire under a player consuming that much of the salary cap.

yes, I was annoyed by Rodgers the last few years as well

56 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Rodgers doesn't win MVP if we don't draft Love. I said it immediately after the pick: no other pick could have benefitted GB more in 2020 than the pick that motivated Rodgers to be better than he had been recently. His improvement (motivated by Love pick) improved the team more than any other rookie would have.

It will continue to be easy to dismiss people who think a different pick would have resulted in an improved team performance in 2020 because they are clueless.

Do you think Rodgers is petty enough that he would have held back in 2020 had the Packers not drafted Love, or any other first round QB? I find that hard to believe.

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Do you think Rodgers is petty enough that he would have held back in 2020 had the Packers not drafted Love, or any other first round QB? I find that hard to believe.

No.

I'm saying he was re-motivated after the Love pick because his career path gained a new branch with the Love selection. He plays best when he has a chip on his shoulder. I feel he got rather complacent and resorted to bad habits the past several years. He made similar comments about his 2020 offseason as well. He played a very different brand of football than he did even under MLF in 2019. And there's zero doubt in my mind it's because of Jordan Love.

Regarding Rodgers and his 2020 season...it would be interesting to go back and see when he was talking about that "thing" he saw on tape that he changed.  My guess is that it was his footwork and legs, so he improved the strength there.  I want to say that happened after the draft, but I could be wrong about that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Regarding Rodgers and his 2020 season...it would be interesting to go back and see when he was talking about that "thing" he saw on tape that he changed.  My guess is that it was his footwork and legs, so he improved the strength there.  I want to say that happened after the draft, but I could be wrong about that.

I can't remember for cetain but I thought he talked about this very topic with Pat Mcafee? It was a while ago now so I can't remember exactly when I heard it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

You find it hard to believe because it pretty unbelievable. Instead of saying "yea, this pick wasnt great", (and they dont even have to admit that),  a few certain fans are coming up with that nonsense. Theyve literally made that up entirely in their head and then decide to run with it as fact I guess?

16 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Its not a case of being petty.

You can be fully motivated and seemingly do everything you can to win. But something can you give that something extra that gives you that edge you didn't realise was missing. Essentially going into survival mode.

Not saying its that, there's reason to think another year in the system would lead to better results. But could be a factor.

You can be playing at what you think is 100% but can't always fake yourself into going into survival mode

On 4/13/2021 at 3:57 PM, vegas492 said:

He said it was his timing and hitch. He was much more defined in his drops and that attributed to leg strength. So yes that's why he was working on leg strength so much this year. 

• Like 1

Jordan Love was a garbage prospect, so in this impossible hypothetical, yes, definitely.

With the discussion of how much Rodgers improved after the Love pick, I'm wondering now how much of the decision to draft Love was to motivate Rodgers before his window closed.

Because if that was a good part of the FO's reasoning...I suddenly don't hate that pick anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Jordan Love was a garbage prospect, so in this impossible hypothetical, yes, definitely.

With the discussion of how much Rodgers improved after the Love pick, I'm wondering now how much of the decision to draft Love was to motivate Rodgers before his window closed.

Because if that was a good part of the FO's reasoning...I suddenly don't hate that pick anymore.

I'd agree except they traded up for Love.