Rhetorical: If Packers were offered a first round pick for Jordan Love, should they take it?

HeresAGuy

22 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

this has absolutely zero meaning.

funny how GB doesn't even use the lowest possible salary offer to keep the "#2 QB" from last year. Love got a redshirt year, it means nothing about how he compared to Tim Boyle. Suggesting that Love wasn't as good of a QB on the field as Boyle was is unwarranted. There were zero expectations that he'd "win" the #2 QB job (who is better at holding a clipboard and giving live feedback to the starting QB).

How many 1st round QBs can you name who have failed to beat out the backup QB? 

That says alot.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

His worth is in the toilet because he couldn't beat out Tim Boyle for the No. 2 job. He was ticketed for Round 2 before the Packers traded up for him last year and that's probably the ceiling of what they could get for him right now.

must be nice to be simple :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

must be nice to be simple :)

It is certainly a lot easier to not be living in total denial that my team wasted two draft picks on a guy who can't beat out a second-year UDFA from Eastern Kentucky, yes.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Aaron Rodgers his rookie year lol

whoops

Aaron Rodgers played as a rookie.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

He clearly was the future. He didn't.

How many can you name?

no, dude, that's not how this works. You stated and implied that Jordan Love cannot be good (and therefore has little trade value) because he was 3rd string his rookie year. Thus showcasing your point that a QB will not be good if they are 3rd string as rookies. I only need to provide a single example to defeat your point, which I did: the best QB in the NFL was a 3rd string QB his rookie year. Ergo, being 3rd string your rookie year is not correlated (whatsoever) with future league value.

Your point is defeated. It's time to accept it and move on.

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

It is certainly a lot easier to not be living in total denial that my team wasted two draft picks on a guy who can't beat out a second-year UDFA from Eastern Kentucky, yes.

Aaron Rodgers played as a rookie.

Aaron Rodgers was 3rd string in his 3rd year.

Craig Nall played before him in 2007.

lol

This is such a stupid argument. Aaron Rodgers was a 3rd string QB his 3rd year in the NFL. And some of you think it has any meaning whatsoever that Jordan Love was 3rd string his rookie year.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

no, dude, that's not how this works. You stated and implied that Jordan Love cannot be good (and therefore has little trade value) because he was 3rd string his rookie year. Thus showcasing your point that a QB will not be good if they are 3rd string as rookies. I only need to provide a single example to defeat your point, which I did: the best QB in the NFL was a 3rd string QB his rookie year. Ergo, being 3rd string your rookie year is not correlated (whatsoever) with future league value.

Your point is defeated. It's time to accept it and move on.

I did not state, or imply, either of those.  That just how YOU may have implied it. Can, or will he be better than Boyle.... probably.  But that's not what I'm here to debate.

What I was referring to was the point that you were making excuses as to why he couldn't even beat out a backup QB, which says a lot about a player. Therefore, I asked you to name how many other QBs drafted in the first round who couldn't even win the #2 job and you keep avoiding the question. 

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

No. It doesn't.

You're missing the point. This is the point. It says nothing about a player. I just proved that.

I'm not missing your point. I just don't agree with your view of it is all.

You don't think it says alot about a QB when he couldn't even beat out a Boyles for the # spot after being drafted in the 1st round?  Like, seriously. Nevermind the outside BS. That alone sounds crazy to me. 

Especially for an organization who has a historically good reputation as a talent evaluator at the QB position.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

14 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I'm not missing your point. I just don't agree with your view of it is all.

You don't think it says alot about a QB when he couldn't even beat out a Boyles for the # spot after being drafted in the 1st round?  Like, seriously. Nevermind the outside BS. That alone sounds crazy to me. 

Especially for an organization who has a historically good reputation as a talent evaluator at the QB position.

Aaron Rodgers was 3rd string his 3rd year.

Explain that.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

this has absolutely zero meaning.

funny how GB doesn't even use the lowest possible salary offer to keep the "#2 QB" from last year. Love got a redshirt year, it means nothing about how he compared to Tim Boyle. Suggesting that Love wasn't as good of a QB on the field as Boyle was is unwarranted. There were zero expectations that he'd "win" the #2 QB job (who is better at holding a clipboard and giving live feedback to the starting QB).

So does this mean that you don't think they should accept an offer of a first round pick for him?

I admit that I don't have much at all to go on, but my assumption is that he would at least get a few more snaps in practice if he is the #2 than if he is relegated to #3.  If seems that if you have a young guy who you are hoping can take over in a year or two, you would want to give him every chance to learn and to prove himself.  I'm not trying to be a jerk here.  I'm just throwing out some ideas.

Edited by Uncle Buck

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Aaron Rodgers was 3rd string his 3rd year.

Explain that.

1) Rodgers was not the 3rd string in his first year the Packers drafted him.  He was the #2.   His 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th year is irrelevant here. 

2) Again, you can't name any 1st round QBs who couldn't beat out the 2nd string in his year because that simply doesn't happen unless there is a real reason for it.

That's the point here. That's why it says alot about how the staff felt about Love and it's not just something to shrug off.

Now, I will say it's possible that COVID may have played a part in all of this ---since no offseason programs---but even with that...there is still too much to explain as to why he couldn't win the #2 job IMO.

I'd only be comfortable trading him for a pick if I knew what he was. They'd probably use that 1st on another QB right? So it would also depend on the QB class coming through and if I thought I could improve. 

Do we actually know what he's like as a player yet, with live bullets? If he aint it, then sure. But I'd need to know first.