Mac Jones Smoke

Millenhater

Not sure if this needed it's own thread but I thought it was worth a discussion as it would completely alter the draft and affect who's there for the Lions at 7.  There is a ton of smoke around Mac Jones going to the 49ers at 3.  Here are a few of the people reporting they believe/have sources that Jones will be the pick:

Chris Simms (Shanahan's college roommate) believes Jones is the pick.

Daniel Jeremiah says everything he is hearing is Jones is the pick and is mocking him there.

Todd McShay says he is "hearing a lot of noise that Jones is their preference."

Adam Schefter said "It'll be Jones" when asked who the 49ers will pick.

That's a lot of smoke by a lot of people plugged it.  What do you think?  Do you think there's actual fire or just a lot of misdirection/smoke?  If it's true how do you think this impacts us?  What are some of the scenarios that the Lions could see?

43 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

Not sure if this needed it's own thread but I thought it was worth a discussion as it would completely alter the draft and affect who's there for the Lions at 7.  There is a ton of smoke around Mac Jones going to the 49ers at 3.  Here are a few of the people reporting they believe/have sources that Jones will be the pick:

Chris Simms (Shanahan's college roommate) believes Jones is the pick.

Daniel Jeremiah says everything he is hearing is Jones is the pick and is mocking him there.

Todd McShay says he is "hearing a lot of noise that Jones is their preference."

Adam Schefter said "It'll be Jones" when asked who the 49ers will pick.

That's a lot of smoke by a lot of people plugged it.  What do you think?  Do you think there's actual fire or just a lot of misdirection/smoke?  If it's true how do you think this impacts us?  What are some of the scenarios that the Lions could see?

I don't think you need to do a lot of misdirection when you're SF. You're the 3rd overall pick with the teams ahead of you who are likely going to be taking QB's themselves and you have 4-6 worthwhile prospects. 

1 - Lawrence: Let's say Jacksonville trades out of here and 'Team X' takes Lawrence. He was never on your radar as someone who was likely to be available anyway. So it won't hurt your draft plans

2 - Wilson: If the Jets want to trade down and a team wants to take Mac Jones... you wind up with Zac Wilson. I don't think they'd complain about that at all. The Jets would have to get an offer that they just can't turn down or they'd have to love Mac Jones that much more to take him over Wilson. 

3 - Jones: You're the third pick in the whole draft - you can get your pick out of anyone who is there other than the top two. If you love Justin Fields, pretty good chance he'll be here. If you love Mac Jones, pretty good chance he'll be here. It's possible that Jones is their current pick but they're letting the process complete itself and someone like Fields could have a chance to make his way to the top of their board. 

The draft really and truly begins at #4. That's where things are much more wide open and the Falcons are a team that is open for business. 

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

If Jones is their guy, it’s as bad as the Bears trading up for Trubisky. Just no reason for it. 

I agree.  I think this is all a lot of smoke for the sake of smoke.  Having said that there is a lot of trusted news people reporting this.  If it’s true it certainly seems like a bad move for the San Fran, but i think it’s a great deal for Detroit.  

9 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

I agree.  I think this is all a lot of smoke for the sake of smoke.  Having said that there is a lot of trusted news people reporting this.  If it’s true it certainly seems like a bad move for the San Fran, but i think it’s a great deal for Detroit.  

I think everything depends on Atlanta now. Whether SF takes Jones, Fields or Lance... they are taking a QB and Atlanta is the next spot for teams to trade up for their guy. I see Cincy taking Chase or Sewell. Miami is a wildcard as well but I think we all know QB is off the table and they moved back up for a reason. That means one of the QBs (if Jones does goes to SF) will be available. maybe Detroit still has some ammo to pull off a trade is Jones goes #3. 

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

I think everything depends on Atlanta now. Whether SF takes Jones, Fields or Lance... they are taking a QB and Atlanta is the next spot for teams to trade up for their guy. I see Cincy taking Chase or Sewell. Miami is a wildcard as well but I think we all know QB is off the table and they moved back up for a reason. That means one of the QBs (if Jones does goes to SF) will be available. maybe Detroit still has some ammo to pull off a trade is Jones goes #3. 

I guess for me I want nothing to do with Jones (or at least not at 7 or in the first). If he goes at 3 that’s just a better chance for a player want to fall.  The more I think about it the more I think if Fields or Lance are there they have to be the pick.

1 hour ago, HashtagFTW said:

Blows my mind we’re still talking about drafting a qb 

Why? 

You have to at least consider it IF there's a prospect that they like and they fall to #7.

There's no guarantee that next year's class will be as good (both on an individual talent level and in terms of depth) or that we will be in a position to get one of those top guys. 

1 hour ago, MortexLion said:

I say we drop back and try landing a 2nd round pick

I agree. Would be so nice to grab a 2nd with some late picks. or no late picks and far enough down in the 1st to get a 1st next year would be really nice.

1 hour ago, MortexLion said:

I say we drop back and try landing a 2nd round pick

If we can get Chase or Sewell, or the podium.  If they are gone, drop down up to 10 spots and I'd be happy with quite a few players.  Surtain, Horn, Farley, Smith, Parsons, Slater, Waddle, Pitts, JOK, etc would all be great if it involved us gaining another high pick as well. I'd be disappointed with any of them at 7. 

• Like 2