Bengals Pick at 5  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What should they do?

• Pick Jamar Chase [WR] LSU
    • Pick Kyle Pitts [TE] Florida
    • Pick Penei Sewell [OT] Oregon
    • Trade Back
    • Other

Assuming the Falcons don't stay put and draft one of the options below (which could happen - but most think they trade back or draft a QB), which options do you think the Bengals should take? 

Pick Jamar Chase [WR] LSU

Pros - Dynamic X receiver with proven pedigree - a rarity even in a deep class. Has the connection with Joe Burrow already, chemistry should allow them to get up to speed quickly. Isn't slowed by press man coverage. 

Cons - Only 27% of 1st round receivers have made it to a second contract with the team drafting them. Deep class at wide receiver, contributors can be found at a much cheaper price. 

Pick Kyle Pitts [TE] Florida

Pros - Arguably the best non QB player in the draft and easily the biggest separation between him and the next available player at his position. Would immediately become a focus of the passing offense, a mismatch weapon who can win in a number of ways.

Cons - Top ten draft picks on tight ends rarely if ever bring back the value invested in them. Doesn't add value as a pass protector where help is still needed.

Pick Penei Sewell [OT] Oregon

Pros - 6'5 and 330 pounds has never looked so good on an offensive lineman, protectors like this don't come around too often. Almost guaranteed ground yards. Bengals offensive line has sucked for years, only a one year investment in Riley Reiff shouldn't prevent Cinci from making this pick. Absolute need to protect Burrow this year. 

Cons - Drop in quality Pitts and Chase at receiver position. Deep offensive line class, contributors can be found and groomed behind Reiff. Jonah Williams played well when started last year, would moving him upset his progress? 

Trade Back

Pros - It's a bad roster with plenty of needs. If a team is willing to move up and get a QB or one of the players listed above, you can really start to build something. More picks hight up on the draft is the quickest way to get better. 

Cons - Moving out of territory of premium players

• Like 3

They would be moronic to not take Sewell with Burrow coming off an injury and an already solid WR group. This is also a crazy deep WR class. They could trade up into the late 1st and snag a guy like Bateman if they’re really that worried about surrounding him with weapons. But OL needs to be king for the Bengals. They’ll be the laughing stock of the NFL if they take a WR at 5. 

• Like 3

It sounds like the Bengals have narrowed things down to Chase and Sewell, and people seem to think they're leaning Chase. Like, it almost seems like a done deal. 

As a Bengals fan I'm happy either way and both picks are understandable. They need interior OL help and they can find a starter there in the 2nd or 3rd round in this deep class. The local beat writers are saying Pitts is pretty much off the table (which I don't fully understand) and trading down is about 99% unlikely. 

If they decide to take a WR, which is a clear luxury given that they already have Boyd and Higgins, both of whom are legitimately good WR (and Higgins may be poised for greatness tbh), and that Joe Burrow is coming off of a major injury, especially with how ridiculously AWFUL their OL is (I'm shocked he wasn't killed before that nasty injury vs. Washington), they're stupid.

They need an OL to protect their young franchise QB and help in the running game, and their Front 7 as a unit is a complete joke.

I'd understand a trade back and reload situation on both of those units, but I simply cannot understand if they grab a WR that high.

If they are planning on taking an OT, then trade down. The return they get should be big enough (future 1st plus), and they can still take the OT later.  They could turn that pick into 1st AND 2nd round offensive linemen.  

Otherwise, I think I would take Pitts. Has the ability to be a cheat code. It was funny watching Trask just throw it to him, even if he was covered.  

Call him a WR if you want to, it's not like he'll be expected to lead the charge on 1st and goal with some devastating block.  I wonder if Pitts had been referred to as a WR throughout this process, we wouldn't need to hear about Njoku.

Interesting discussions here. Based on the most likely scenario of the Bengals not moving from the spots they're picking at (based on their usual MO in the draft), I'm guessing most fans would expect to see a combination of OT, Receiver, IOL in the first three rounds - maybe only two of those three. 

With that in mind and looking at combinations of who might be available in multi round mocks):-

Scenario 1

1.  Sewell - OT
  2.  Humphrey/Meinerz/Davis - IOL
  3.  Dyami Brown/Dwayne Eskridge - WR

Or:

Scenario 2

1.  Chase/Pitts - Receiver
  2.  Mayfield/Cosmi/Leatherwood/Little - OT
  3.  Meyers/Cleveland/Green - IOL

Or:

Scenario 3

1.  Sewell - OT
  2.  Toney/Rondale or Elijah Moore - WR

Or:

Scenario 4

3.  Hudson/Brown/Forsythe - OT

9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Interesting discussions here. Based on the most likely scenario of the Bengals not moving from the spots they're picking at (based on their usual MO in the draft), I'm guessing most fans would expect to see a combination of OT, Receiver, IOL in the first three rounds - maybe only two of those three. 

With that in mind and looking at combinations of who might be available in multi round mocks):-

Scenario 1

1.  Sewell - OT
  3.  Dyami Brown/Dwayne Eskridge - WR

Or:

Scenario 2

2.  Mayfield/Cosmi/Leatherwood/Little - OT

Or:

Scenario 3

1.  Sewell - OT
  2.  Toney/Rondale or Elijah Moore - WR

Or:

Scenario 4

3.  Hudson/Brown/Forsythe - OT

This year especially, those OL in the 2nd and 3rd round look sooooo much better than any receiving options.  

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Sewell or Slater, and it's not really that much of a discussion for me. 

I wouldn't be mad if they got Pitts because well, he's a unicorn of a prospect. But I'd take the tackles over any of the receivers in this draft. WR is deep enough where you can find some good talent on day 2 or 3 without too much issue.