Bengals Pick at 5  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What should they do?

• Pick Jamar Chase [WR] LSU
    • Pick Kyle Pitts [TE] Florida
    • Pick Penei Sewell [OT] Oregon
    • Trade Back
    • Other

I hope it's Pitts.  A small part of my reasoning is to watch the contract negotiations in a few years, when Pitts' agent makes the point that his client is in the slot and out wide 80% of the time, so he's a WR, and how well that goes over with the cheap Bengals ownership.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, BigTrav said:

I'd go Pitts and try and trade back into top 17 for Slater or Darrisaw (whichever one is there)

That would require next year's 1st, and this year's 2nd and 3rd, not gonna happen.

On 4/9/2021 at 9:41 PM, THE DUKE said:

Don't get me wrong, I like Pitts, top 5 player in the draft, but the belief that he is by far the non QB BPA in this draft is ludicrous.

I'm just curious I feel like you have good insight.

Who do you like as a better prospect at 5 than Pitts?

8 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

That would require next year's 1st, and this year's 2nd and 3rd, not gonna happen.

I would. Burrow, Pitts and Slater in the space of 2 years? Worth it to give up later picks

Edited by BigTrav

It's Sewell or Chase.

And it might come down to which fire they want to play with in the second.

My favorite outcome is Sewell and Marshall.  But how likely is that?  I think he falls to the second, but ll of those teams that just took QBs will now be looking for potential weapons.  Maybe they trade up into the back end of the first.

Next best option for me is Chase, then Eichenberg.  If he isn't there then a guy like Mayfield or Leatherwood.

Either way, I follow that up with a guard like Cleveland in the third, and a slot WR in the fourth.  This draft is all about the offense.  Maybe grab depth guys on the dline after that, but make sure we can keep  up in high scoring games.

As for Pitts, we haven't had an OC that knows how to really use a TE as a weapon since Hue Jackson left for the shores of Lake Erie.

• Like 1

I'm a simple sort.  Jonah Williams protecting the franchise's blindside convinces me to take Penei Sewell without a lot of thought.  We assume Lawrence, Wilson, Jones and Fields are the first four choices, making this the first non-QB to go.

That said, if we're willing to settle for Kyle Pitt or Ja'Marr Chase I'd trade down to #7 and let Miami and Cinci decide for us, pocketing a 3rd or 4th round pick in the process.  Indeed, I like DeVonta Smith so much I'd consider dropping down to #8.

Depending on how it does, I might do it again, trading out of the top 10 and "settling" for Rashawn Slater and some useful picks.

On 4/11/2021 at 9:26 PM, Dr A W Niloc said:

That said, if we're willing to settle for Kyle Pitt or Ja'Marr Chase I'd trade down to #7 and let Miami and Cinci decide for us, pocketing a 3rd or 4th round pick in the process.  Indeed, I like DeVonta Smith so much I'd consider dropping down to #8.

But who is Detroit trading up for?  Detroit needs to have motivation to trade up.

EDIT: You'd feel pretty stupid trading down from 5 to 7 if the next two picks were Penei Sewell and JaMarr Chase.

44 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But who is Detroit trading up for?  Detroit needs to have motivation to trade up.

Penei Sewell (or Kyle Pitts).  Sorry, I should have made this clearer.

Lawrence
Wilson
Jones
Fields
Sewell
Pitts
Chase
Smith

EDIT: You'd feel pretty stupid trading down from 5 to 7 if the next two picks were Penei Sewell and JaMarr Chase.

Not if I like DeVonta Smith as much as I do.

As I survey the lay of the land, I think a lot of the offensive linemen will be drafted early this year/being pushed up the board and the WRs will fall. While everyone has different projections, I think the quality of pass catcher available at their picks in rounds 2/3 will be higher than the lineman that will still be available.

On 4/17/2021 at 9:39 PM, Teen Girl Squad said:

As I survey the lay of the land, I think a lot of the offensive linemen will be drafted early this year/being pushed up the board and the WRs will fall. While everyone has different projections, I think the quality of pass catcher available at their picks in rounds 2/3 will be higher than the lineman that will still be available.

That may very well happen, but the Bengals immediate need for 2021 is at RG, they aren't forced to take a T prospect.  If their top G or C prospect (many NFL C's start out their rookie year at G before kicking inside in year 2) is still there, that is just as viable an option.  Plus, the Bengals need either a WR1, or a WR4.  Tee Higgins might turn into a 1, but what depth if he is your 2, with Tyler Boyd going to be in the slot regardless most of the time.

On 4/17/2021 at 12:18 PM, Dr A W Niloc said:

Not if I like DeVonta Smith as much as I do.

But if the general consensus that the Bengals are down to Sewell and Chase, that question remains.