This Mock is all about giving Goff and honest chance to succeed and at the same time setting it up for a future QB to be dropped in and find success.

Trades:

2022 3rd to the Chargers for Mike Williams. – Rumor has it he’s available for trade as the Chargers can’t afford to extend him.  Lynn is familiar with him and he gives us a big bodied WR to be our #1

FA:

Malik Hooker, S: We sign Hooker to a one year deal after the draft.  He knows if he stays healthy he should be able to parlay it into a big contract.

Gareon Conley, CB: Another former first rounder in need of a fresh start and a chance to get his career back on track.  Conley gambles on the Lions and the Lions do the same with a one year deal.

Draft:                   

1.       Penei Sewell, OT Oregon- Instant starter that transitions to the right side and will hold down the RT spot for 5 years.  Has the potential to switch to LT when Decker’s contract is up.

2.       Wyatt Davis, OG Ohio State – Davis will battle it out for the starting spot (and win) with big V.  The front office is smart not to worry about Vaitai’s contract.  He was an over priced mistake when it was made and there is no need to continue to start him just because the last regime gave him so much money.  With this pick the Oline is set for the foreseeable future and cheap.

3.       Amon Ra St. Brown, WR USC – Instant starter in the Slot.  St. Brown rounds out the WR core and will make an impact day one.  Adds value as our Starting PR/KR

3.       Dylan Moses, LB Alabama – Moses has not been the same player since his injury.  The Lions roll the dice and hope that one more year removed from surgery and a move out to WLB will be a more natural fit. 

4.       Talanoa Hufanga, S USC – An aggressive and instinctive safety that lacks speed.  He will be a special teams ace and with provide depth a S or convert to dime LB.

5.       Elerson Smith, EDGE UNI- Developmental prospect who should find time as a situational pass rusher in year two and as special teams player year one.

Depth Chart:

RT: Penei Sewell, Tyrell Cosby

RG: Wyatt Davis, Halapoulivaati Vaitai

OC: Frank Ragnow

LG: Jonah Jackson, Logan Stenberg

LT: Taylor Decker, Matt Nelson

RB: D’Andre Swift, Jamal Williams, Kerryon Johnson

FB: Jason Cabina

QB: Jared Goff, Tim Boyle

WR: Tyrell Williams, Quintez Cephus, Geronimo Allison

WR: Mike Williams, Breshad Perriman, Amon-Ra St. Brown

TE: T.J. Hockenson, Josh Hill, Hunter Bryant

DE: Trey Flowers, Julian Okwara, Austin Bryant

DT: Nick Williams, John Penisini, Kevin Strong

DT: Michael Brockers, Da’Shawn Hand

DE: Romeo Okwara, Charles Harris, Elerson Smith

MLB: Jamie Collins, Shaun Dion Hamilton

OLB: Alex Anzalone, Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Dylan Moses

CB: Jeff Okudah, Quinton Dunbar

NB: Corn Elder

S: Malik Hooker, Will Harris, Talanoa Hufanga

S: Tracy Walker, C.J. Moore

CB: Amani Oruwariye, Mike Ford, Gareon Conely

LS: Don Muhlbach

P: Jack Fox

K: Randy Bullock

KR/PR: Amon-Ra St. Brown

We have way too many holes to try and fix them this year but this mock should help build an identity/strength for this team and that is an elite O-line.  Give Goff or whoever time to throw to those speedsters and we could have success on offense.  At the same time it should open up running lanes for our RBs to run through.  Let me know what you think.  If it went down like this let me know what object you'd be throwing at the TV.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

No D-line help until Round 5?

Can't solve all the problems in one offseason.  This mock is just about create a strength and seeing what Goff has and/or setting the next QB for success.

Having said that as much as we need D-Line help (and we need it bad) I don't want to reach in this draft.  We have so many holes and we are just starting to build this roster for the long haul I don't want to reach to fill need.  I also am not that high on the DT class.  I think teams with reach to get one and I don't think the Lions are in a place to do that.  They just need to add talent.

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

No D-line help until Round 5?

We traded for a DT, Re-Signed our starting DE we didn’t think would get re-signed. Signed a FA DE. If a DL is available and BPA I’m all for drafting them, but I think we’ve addressed the DL already considerably. I wouldn’t teach for the position. 

I really like it. I’m in total agreement that you can’t fix everything in a season. Giving Goff weapons and an improved line will allow him every opportunity for success. 

it’s important to have a ready offence for a young QB if that’s the direction in the coming years.

Good job.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I really like it. I’m in total agreement that you can’t fix everything in a season. Giving Goff weapons and an improved line will allow him every opportunity for success. 

it’s important to have a ready offence for a young QB if that’s the direction in the coming years.

Good job.

I think this will also help the Lions staff better evaluate Goff if he is afforded a great OL and has some weapons.  I believe determining what we have in Goff is one of the keys to the rebuild.

I hate that the D is still going to suck (no fault of this mock draft), but I get the argument in finishing out the offense.  It seems like this years draft might be better suited for the Lions offense anyways.

• Like 1

Yeah I like it. Rarely do I like coughing picks for WR's but IF Williams is around long-term I like it with the Sewell/Davis selections.

Think Moses can step in and start at OLB too. So, Three starters and traded for a #1WR. I like it.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Can't solve all the problems in one offseason.  This mock is just about create a strength and seeing what Goff has and/or setting the next QB for success.

Having said that as much as we need D-Line help (and we need it bad) I don't want to reach in this draft.  We have so many holes and we are just starting to build this roster for the long haul I don't want to reach to fill need.  I also am not that high on the DT class.  I think teams with reach to get one and I don't think the Lions are in a place to do that.  They just need to add talent.

Adding offensive weapons is great but our defense has to be able to generate some stops.  We put it all on Stafford's shoulders for most of his career.  What do we have to show for that?

Swap Brown for Milton Williams or another DT in the third and then grab a WR in the 5th and I like it.  I love fixing the line, the D is improved.  I like the low risk high reward free agents in the defensive backfield.  Would be a solid team. 

12 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Adding offensive weapons is great but our defense has to be able to generate some stops.  We put it all on Stafford's shoulders for most of his career.  What do we have to show for that?

I'm with you.  Normally I'm all about adding Defensive players.  We are devoid of talent and I still think our Pass Rush is the most lacking thing on this team.  Having said that this is not a good draft for defense.  It's just not in my opinion.  All of the top defensive talent in this draft have questions, either with injury or off field or both.  

This isn't necessarily what I would do but I will say I do like the philosophy of creating a strength of a team.  I think a lot of teams spread their resources around a lot and never get an identity.  While we rebuild I'd rather we be good on one side of the ball than mediocre on both.  If you have and identity/strength it makes the rebuild go faster.  

14 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Swap Brown for Milton Williams or another DT in the third and then grab a WR in the 5th and I like it.  I love fixing the line, the D is improved.  I like the low risk high reward free agents in the defensive backfield.  Would be a solid team. 

I haven't watched any of Williams yet but he's name has been popping up a lot.  If we take a WR in the 5th I like Shi Smith.  I think he is a similar player to St. Brown in that he is tough and can man the slot.

I think in this draft we really have to take talent and not care about positions.  I also think because the draft is deep at WR you are going to find better talent later that will be better than most other positions available.  Wouldn't be surprised if we double dip a bit at O-line and WR; two of the deepest positions in the draft.

• Like 1