Weak spots in the 2021 draft?

What are the weaknesses in this class that most drafts usually have?

1. QB depth. You aren’t getting anyone intriguing outside of day 1.

2. Late round sleepers/UDFA pool. Not excited about the later round guys.

3. Large CB’s that can play outside. A ton of NCB guys later on.

4. Pass rushing UT’s. Probably the weakest spot in this class.

5. Pure burners at WR later on. Anthony Schwartz and then not much else. 

1 hour ago, LinebackerGod said:

That is only because we are picking the first 2 days of qbs and drafting them in the first 10 picks.  :)

27 minutes ago, offbyone said:

That is only because we are picking the first 2 days of qbs and drafting them in the first 10 picks.  :)

Yeah maybe. I am kins of intrigued by Shane Buechele and Sam Ehlinger, but both are long shots to make it as pro players. Especially Ehlinger, who I really love as a college player. He’s my man-crush based off playing style, kind of like Erik Dungey was a few seasons back. Long shot, but I’m rooting for him.

After the top 5 QB’s, there’s nothing else that makes me want to gamble on anyone. Felipe Franks has tools maybe, but is a mess mechanically and his accuracy is $hit or miss. 

I'd go..

1. Elite DT prospects

2. QB depth as you say

3. Top tier TE outside of Pitts. I know people like Friermuth but I don't think he'd be this high in previous drafts (think Hockenson, Fant, Smith in same draft)

4. Top IOL prospects

5. Pass rushers are on the weaker end of spectrum. We're not looking at a pass rusher in the top 15 in most mocks. Usually you'd have at least one in top 10

Edited by Hunter2_1
13 hours ago, LinebackerGod said:

This is the case every year.  You're likely not finding a starting-caliber QB outside of Day 1.  This year is no different.

2. Late round sleepers/UDFA pool. Not excited about the later round guys.

Nope.  They're all relatively similar prospects to other years.

3. Large CB’s that can play outside. A ton of NCB guys later on.

Most of the Day 1 and Day 2 prospects are 5'11"+.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

This is the case every year.  You're likely not finding a starting-caliber QB outside of Day 1.  This year is no different.

I’m usually intrigued by some of the later round QBs. This year I can’t get excited about anyone, even as a project. I’m not looking for starters...I’m looking for NFL QBs. 

Nope.  They're all relatively similar prospects to other years.

I feel like there are usually a few really interesting linebackers and safeties that go undrafted. Even the UDFA runningback pool from this year doesn’t intrigue me.

Most of the Day 1 and Day 2 prospects are 5'11"+.

Farley, Surtain, Newsome, and Horn. Outside of those 4, I feel like Melifonwu is the only dude over 6’0 worth drafting. To be fair, I haven’t watched St. Juste yet. 

Just now, LinebackerGod said:

I’m usually intrigued by some of the later round QBs. This year I can’t get excited about anyone, even as a project. I’m not looking for starters...I’m looking for NFL QBs. 

Again, that's just a preference.  I mean, what separates Davis Mills from Davis Webb?  What separates Kellen Mond from Easton Stick?  This QB class after the top few are the same as the other classes.  You probably find a few quality backups, maybe a spot starter, and most will be out fo the league before their rookie contracts are up.

4 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

I feel like there are usually a few really interesting linebackers and safeties that go undrafted. Even the UDFA runningback pool from this year doesn’t intrigue me.

Again, just a matter of preference.

4 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Farley, Surtain, Newsome, and Horn. Outside of those 4, I feel like Melifonwu is the only dude over 6’0 worth drafting. To be fair, I haven’t watched St. Juste yet. 

Again, the farther you move down the draft, the more flawed they get.  That's the same as every other year.

While these spots can be/are weak, the interior OL, WR group, and RB positions have a lot of depth. The EDGE class is about as weak as I've seen from a pure "specimen/pass rusher" standpoint in a while.

It's a weird year.  QBs are strongish but their teams will likely determine their success more than their individual talent.  The top 4 are enticing, with Trask and Mond providing depth.

It's a better year for CBs than Safeties, for OTs and Centers than Guards.  Great WRs.  There are three starter quality Tight Ends, which is about average.  With a few exceptions, this isn't the year I'd want to be seeking a Linebacker.  Hard to get excited about these RBs.  There is depth on the Edge but no froth.  I've never seen a worse crop of DTs.

as far as attacking QBs after day 1... i dont know how valid a criticism that is. how many NFL starting QBs right now were NOT first round picks? 

Brady, Wilson, Dak, Carr, Dalton, Cousins, Fitzpatrick, Hurts. its not a long list.

Personally not seeing any depth difference at QB this season from most other seasons. 

2020 - 13 total selected with 4 in the 1st round, 1-2nd, 2-4th, 1-5th, 1-6th, 4-7th. 

2019 - 11 total selected with 3 in the 1st round, 1-2nd, 1-3rd, 2-4th, 2-5th, 2-6th.

2018 - 13 total selected with 5 in the 1st round, 1-3rd, 1-4th, 1-5th, 2-6th, 3-7th. 

2017 - 10 total selected with 3 in the 1st round, 1-2nd, 2-3rd, 1-4th, 1-5th, 1-6th, 1-7th. 

2016 - 15 total selected with 3 in the 1st round, 1-2nd, 2-3rd, 3-4th, 1-5th, 4-6th, 1-7th.

This year has probably 5 in the 1st round with another 3 in that 2nd-4th range and another 4-6 taken in the late rounds. 

• Like 1

TE is probably the worst if you consider Pitts a WR. Friermuth is more of a late 2nd/early 3rd, and I wouldn't want anyone in the next best group (Brevin/Yeboah/Tremble/Long) before the 4th.
Then S. Moehrig would have been a 3rd rounder last year, imo.
Then DT as a whole.
Then C. I like Creed/Meinerz/Green (Dickerson too risky), but 2 of those 3 are probably going to bust. Haven't watched Crider from Indiana. Drake Jackson too weak. Hainsey is probably getting drafted to play RG. Center is almost always a weak spot in drafts tho. 
I don't really care for these RB's outside Etienne/Najee. I like the UNC duo, but don't love em. I like Gainwell, but he's too light to tote it 20+ times in a smashmouth grind it out game. Shame about Journey Brown, he could have been a good one.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1