2021 ROOKIE QB's---- Who hits, who's OK, who busts?

squire12

Just now, MikeT14 said:

So Bortles should be a 2. He got to the AFCCG in 17.

Bortles was around a lot longer to prove that he was a bust.  It was a different situation than the one with Tebow.  You could ask "why didn't they keep Tebow around longer then?"  To that question, I would say "I agree.  Why didn't they?  They should have.  When they brought Manning into town, that would have been a perfect opportunity to let their young QB sit for a year or two and learn from one of the all-time greats.  Elway really blew that one, and they are still looking for a QB.

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

And Sanchez got to 2 of them beating the Bengals, Chargers and then Colts, Patriots.

ON THE ROAD MAY I ADD.

Other than the butt fumble, I don't remember why they got rid of him.  Do you think they should have kept him around?  It sounds like he was having some success.  Rex Ryan was kind of a wild card of a coach.

6 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Other than the butt fumble, I don't remember why they got rid of him.  Do you think they should have kept him around?  It sounds like he was having some success.  Rex Ryan was kind of a wild card of a coach.

He was a product of a strong run game and defense. The defense got old, O-Line was never replenished, Wide Receivers were done and then years of and drafting. I think we had only invested in interior D-Line and depth pieces offensively for 5 straight years. Sanchez like most big school Quarterbacks were always going to be decent if they had talent around them and bad if they didn't. 

However he did turn it on when it mattered most(playoffs)

It was time to move on but his extension held that up for a couple years. 

Rex ended up getting skinny and lost his mojo. 

Then the Tebow trade put the nail in the coffin and then the Jets circus ensued. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

He was a product of a strong run game and defense. The defense got old, O-Line was never replenished, Wide Receivers were done and then years of and drafting. I think we had only invested in interior D-Line and depth pieces offensively for 5 straight years. Sanchez like most big school Quarterbacks were always going to be decent if they had talent around them and bad if they didn't. 

However he did turn it on when it mattered most(playoffs)

It was time to move on but his extension held that up for a couple years. 

Rex ended up getting skinny and lost his mojo. 

Then the Tebow trade put the nail in the coffin and then the Jets circus ensued. 

xD

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

That's hilarious.  I haven't heard that before.  The Rex days were pretty memorable in New York in good and bad ways I guess.

Yeah man, Hard Knocks, holdouts, snacks, tattoos, feet pics, kissing rings, big losses, playoff runs, jaws getting broken, drafting defensive tackles and turning them to outside linebackers, butt fumble, Santonio Holmes almost getting beat up in the huddle, Idzik's press conference, Mike Francesca's rant after said press conference.

We had it all, it was glorious. 

• Like 2

There’s some inconsistencies with the scoring. Like if Flacco, Ryan, and Stafford are 1s I think Tannehill has firmly put himself in that category. Leftwich is a solid 3. But I think I get. It’s mostly pretty consistent.

So Wilson and Lawrence 1s for sure.

Mac Jones 3.
Fields probably a 1. He doesn’t avoid the big hits like Jackson and Murray. And there’s always the chance he gets attached to some idiot coach who wants to turn him into Peyton Manning. But those coaches are disappearing. 
Lance idk. He’s really similar to Josh Allen as a prospect. Accuracy issues but great physical gifts. But every Physically gifted QB with accuracy issues doesn’t become Josh Allen. So probably 2 with 1 potential.

8 hours ago, DawgX said:

Why is Kyler a 1 and Baker a 2? 🤔

And it's hard to say for the 2021 rookies. It largely depends on where they end up. Lawrence I'm sure we'll be a 1.

This board thinks anyone who has decent stats but can't make playoffs is an amazing QB. 

Odds are- 2-3 of the first round QBs are busts, but I think it will be situational. I have a feeling Trevor Lawrence won't be horrible but he will be a little disappointing for a first overall pick. He's got those skinny Teddy Bridgewater knees you hate to see, and is going to a terrible team. I'll say OK. has a good career but doesn't take the Jags to the promised land or win the division. 

Mac Jones isn't athletic but he might go to a good situation and be a top 20 starter like a Jimmy G type. Can be OK in the right system.

Fields, no idea, it depends where he goes. I think he needs to sit for a bit to reach his potential.

Zach Wilson. I have no real football based analysis but if I had to pick a major bust it would be this guy. Shot up the boards and looks like the typical privileged kid who has had everything given to him, the type of guy defenses are motivated to eat and who likely doesn't rally the diverse background of players on a team around him. Also he will probably go to the Jets who are terrible.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Lawrence - disappointment in terms of the ridiculous expectations placed on him. Probably closer to a bust than a boom a la Jared Goff return on investment. I think Lawrence will have trouble in terms of being a competitor, leader, staying healthy, and performing as a passer in late playoff appearances.

Scorpio Sky Bravery GIF by Rooster Teeth

Careful round here, Dole...

12 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Odds are- 2-3 of the first round QBs are busts, but I think it will be situational. I have a feeling Trevor Lawrence won't be horrible but he will be a little disappointing for a first overall pick. He's got those skinny Teddy Bridgewater knees you hate to see, and is going to a terrible team. I'll say OK. has a good career but doesn't take the Jags to the promised land or win the division. 

Yep, totally agree. 

I've got Lawrence and Fields both ultimately disappointing. They both have my big "No thanks" for QBs- playing on ridiculously stacked teams who, far more often than not, made games entirely uncompetitive. Fields just doesn't excite me, and Lawrence didn't seem to take adversity too well once it finally came knocking. 

Lance doesn't do it for me at all. 

Jones doesn't either, but I get the appeal. 

Wilson is a 1 hit wonder who found success feasting on the SunBelt during Covid. 

If I had to wager, I'd go with Jones looking the best in a few years. I don't see a star with him, but can see a good Goff/Eli Manning type career where he becomes a pretty good game manager who can play up to competition and surprise here and there.

Lawrence and Fields I see going more of the Tannehill route, where both wind up elsewhere, possibly in better situations where they could reclaim some of their hype. Fields moreso, so maybe Lawrence winds up more of the Winston type (sans sitting behind Brees). I think Winston in Tampa showed more in Tampa than Tannehill in Miami, fwiw. But yeah, neither particularly excite me. 

Wilson and Lance I see going the Trubisky route and just not being worth the energy. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I really liked Sanchez and thought he could've been more if someone had given him a real 2nd chance and tried building around him. 

I pushed the Sanchize for years....😔

Nah he was never that great. Best QB we’ve had since he was drafted but overall just not the guy who elevates those around him.