2021 ROOKIE QB's---- Who hits, who's OK, who busts?

squire12

50 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

If I had to wager, I'd go with Jones looking the best in a few years. I don't see a star with him, but can see a good Goff/Eli Manning type career where he becomes a pretty good game manager who can play up to competition and surprise here and there.

Interesting. Goff's career success level is basically the ceiling I used to describe my feelings on Mac Jones the prospect as well.

Mac Jones will star as long as he goes to San Francisco or New England.

New Yorkers will point to Zach Wilson like a unicorn and whisper to their grandchildren:  "Believe it or not, the Jets did have a great QB.  Once."

Trevor Lawrence won't be a bust but will disappoint due largely to high expectations and low team standards.

Among the also rans, Kyle Trask might surprise (in New England or New Orleans).

I am apprehensive about the prospects of Trey Lance and, to a lesser extent, Justin Fields if they don't land in QB friendly environs.

• Like 2

Lawrence will be almost like a Andy Dalton. Gets to the playoffs but that's basically

Wilskn I think is the star of the class

Jones will be an average to above average starter but not all all-star

Fields I think is the bust of the class

Lance he is the hard one. Depending on how he is developed he is a top 5 QB or a backup/out of league by year 5

• Like 1

Im going to keep this plan and simple. I think Lawrence and Fields will hit. Whichever QB the Niners draft will hit, the question is how much of a ceiling will that QB have for them and yes Im talking about Mac Jones. If Jones dont go to the Niners he will flat out bust. Lance Im on the fence because he can go either way. recent history says that QBs who have started not many college games were Trubisky, Sanchez, and Murray. I might be missing someone else but we know Trubisky hasnt panned out and neither did Sanchez. Sanchez was the QB for the Jets who went to what two AFCCG but you can say it was mostly on the running game and defense and less on Sanchez. Murray looks like he is going to pan out but we need more body of work to know for sure. So Lance could look like Murray with a bright future or be like Trubisky and Sanchez and just flame out. But again I think Lawrence and Fields will hit and if the Niners draft any of those QBs in their situation with the head coach, the great offensive system, and talent on both offense and defense that QB will succeed. It will just depend on how much of a ceiling that QB will have for the Niners. 

Here's how I would rate the top of the QB class in 2021:

Trey Lance = Superstar

Zach Wilson = Star

Trevor Lawrence = Star

Justin Fields = Solid Starter

Kellen Mond = Solid Starter

Mac Jones = Bust/Backup

Edited by VanS

13 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

I’m surprised there’s quite a few people that’s not high on Lawrence. I also do believe he’ll probably not live up to his crazy hype. He might still end up being a good QB but “generational” 🙄

If Blake Bortles owned ya, wait til you see what Trevor does.

On 4/8/2021 at 11:28 AM, Uncle Buck said:

Bortles was around a lot longer to prove that he was a bust.  It was a different situation than the one with Tebow.  You could ask "why didn't they keep Tebow around longer then?"  To that question, I would say "I agree.  Why didn't they?  They should have.  When they brought Manning into town, that would have been a perfect opportunity to let their young QB sit for a year or two and learn from one of the all-time greats.  Elway really blew that one, and they are still looking for a QB.

The Tebow cult is so weird.

• Like 2

Most of this stuff is situational, so odds are Lawrence and Wilson are either disappointments or outright bust. Whenever the Niners draft will look better. After that, it'll depend.

But those two going to two of the worst run organizations in the NFL is not good for their careers.

56 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The Tebow cult is so weird.

Tebow fans saw him dominate in college, and in spite of the challenges with his throwing motion, he came in and DID do good things when given a chance.  Nobody can deny that.  He is a man of incredible character, with massive leadership abilities, and like him or not, you have to admit he did find ways to win.  I'd take him as the QB for my team any day.  If Jacksonville had given him a chance, I would have become a Jaguars fan years ago.

Edited by Uncle Buck

On 4/9/2021 at 9:00 PM, Dr A W Niloc said:

Mac Jones will star as long as he goes to San Francisco or New England.

New Yorkers will point to Zach Wilson like a unicorn and whisper to their grandchildren:  "Believe it or not, the Jets did have a great QB.  Once."

Trevor Lawrence won't be a bust but will disappoint due largely to high expectations and low team standards.

Among the also rans, Kyle Trask might surprise (in New England or New Orleans).

I am apprehensive about the prospects of Trey Lance and, to a lesser extent, Justin Fields if they don't land in QB friendly environs.

That may have been the case in prior regimes, but it certainly can't be said about Urban Meyer.  I think between he and Trevor, they should be able to change that culture very quickly.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Most of this stuff is situational, so odds are Lawrence and Wilson are either disappointments or outright bust. Whenever the Niners draft will look better. After that, it'll depend.

But those two going to two of the worst run organizations in the NFL is not good for their careers.

I think that's taking it a little too far.  Just look at Matthew Stafford's career with Detroit.  The Lions have been run every bit as badly as the Jaguars or the Jets and he had a decent career there for a decade.  It's also reasonable to claim that even though he was a good prospect, taken #1 overall, he probably wasn't as good of a prospect as Trevor Lawrence is.