2021 ROOKIE QB's---- Who hits, who's OK, who busts?

squire12

12 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Darnold looked a lot like Zack Wilson in college tbh.  Just taller.

Pretending to be Brett Favre is a lot harder in the NFL, which is what Sam Darnold realized eventually and Mark Sanchez realized eventually.  Especially hard with no weapons.

Just saying, the Jets have a type.  Maybe third time's the charm though.

unsurprisingly mission is correct tbh

wilson, jones, not it. trey lance could be it. lawrence, fields, they're both it.

• Like 1

Lawrence is going to hit but probably wont live up to the hype.

Zack Wilson will bust tbh.

I don't know what to think about Lance.  The guy is talented and landed in a good spot but he's started one game in 18 months?  50/50

Fields is the total package, but its the Bears, so we'll see.  If he hits he's probably the best player from this draft. 

I expect Mac Jones to be successful in New England, but that may be in a more limited role than these other guys, at least initially  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Lawrence is going to hit but probably wont live up to the hype.

Zack Wilson will bust tbh.

I don't know what to think about Lance.  The guy is talented and landed in a good spot but he's started one game in 18 months?  50/50

Fields is the total package, but its the Bears, so we'll see.  If he hits he's probably the best player from this draft. 

I expect Mac Jones to be successful in New England, but that may be in a more limited role than these other guys, at least initially  

this guy gets it tbh

small disagree on jones but other than that bang on

Edited by Shady Slim

Just now, Shady Slim said:

small disagree on jones but other than that bang on

Yeah I get the criticism of him tbh and I would be much more skeptical if he went somewhere other than New England or San Francisco.  He landed on a good team in an offense that is tailor made for his skill set and with a bunch of fresh new weapons.  

He's not going to be Patrick Mahomes.  He's not a playmaker.  But I still think you can win in the NFL with a quarterback who is more Chris Paul, less James Harden.  The Bucs did last year.  The 49ers almost did the year before.  

• Like 1

Just now, mission27 said:

Yeah I get the criticism of him tbh and I would be much more skeptical if he went somewhere other than New England or San Francisco.  He landed on a good team in an offense that is tailor made for his skill set and with a bunch of fresh new weapons.  

He's not going to be Patrick Mahomes.  He's not a playmaker.  But I still think you can win in the NFL with a quarterback who is more Chris Paul, less James Harden.  The Bucs did last year.  The 49ers almost did the year before.  

yeah definitely not wrong and i suppose it depends how the patriots retool as a team - last year was a write off really given half the defense was missing including most key guys on that side of the ball, such that i'm not willing to read new england's last rites just yet tbh. that defense at full strength could easily sneak in to the playoffs with a facilitator signal caller doing enough and keeping the ball safe on offense and be the stereotypical "team you don't want to come up against" tbh; well in the realm of possibility imo

• Like 1

Mac Jones to New England some see as a great fit. Personally, I think it's hilarious that he's going to a team with 1/10th the weapons at his disposal that he had in college, and I'm going to thoroughly enjoy watching him mentally implode with frustration.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mission27 said:

What's the context behind the video?  Genuinely curious 

If this is Mac Jones out getting drunk the night before a game, ok, that matters.  But I doubt Saban would've put up with that ****.  He would've just benched Mac and put in Bryce Young. 

If its just Mac Jones partying during the offseason with his friends, then what's wrong with that?  Are NFL players not supposed to drink or party at all?  Because I don't think they got the memo

https://www.insider.com/video-tom-brady-drunk-avocado-tequila-boat-parade-2021-2

I think in light of Mac's previous history of drinking related issues, it's potentially cause for concern. Am I correct @Forge?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Mac Jones to New England some see as a great fit. Personally, I think it's hilarious that he's going to a team with 1/10th the weapons at his disposal that he had in college, and I'm going to thoroughly enjoy watching him mentally implode with frustration.

I swear with Mac Jones I get a Ken Dorsey feel. QB who looked like a stud because of the absolutely unreal talent they were surrounded by

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

I think in light of Mac's previous history of drinking related issues, it's potentially cause for concern. Am I correct @Forge?

I've heard about 1 DUI, are there other incidents?  Just hadn't heard that leading up to the draft probably because I'm not really paying attention tbh 

Not defending it, but 1 DUI isn't a huge concern for me or indicative of a pattern of problematic drinking.  Of course, I drank half a bottle of Johnnie Walker last night, so my views may be more evolved than others

• Like 1

Just now, mission27 said:

I've heard about 1 DUI, are there other incidents?  Just hadn't heard that leading up to the draft probably because I'm not really paying attention tbh 

Not to open a can of worms, and I'll toe the line here, but some other social media posts (his sister posted them) with potentially negative implications at parties surfaced as well.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Not to open a can of worms, and I'll toe the line here, but some other social media posts (his sister posted them) with potentially negative implications at parties surfaced as well.

Ok.  I saw something else that was distasteful, but not necessarily drinking related.  But again I haven't really been paying much attention. 

As an expert on problematic drinking the stuff I've seen doesn't even come close and just feels like standard college kid ****.  We'll find out soon enough though, this kid shows up late or hungover once and Bill will Kyle Shanahan him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He can make a coffee behind that OL. If someone decides to get open and get seperation he will be successful.

• Like 3

On 4/21/2021 at 10:48 AM, SBLIII said:

Trevor Lawrence 1

Mac Jones 1

Justin Fields 2

Zach Wilson 3

Trey Lance 3

I'm going back to this and think Fields and Lance should flip. I would be surprised if Fields is not a bust in Chicago. Same with Zach Wilson. Desperate franchises who need the young QBs to be their saviours. Unlikely to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

Darnold looked a lot like Zack Wilson in college tbh.  Just taller.

Pretending to be Brett Favre is a lot harder in the NFL, which is what Sam Darnold realized eventually and Mark Sanchez realized eventually.  Especially hard with no weapons.

Just saying, the Jets have a type.  Maybe third time's the charm though.

No, Sam Darnold still made boneheaded throws due to a lack of awareness and isn't nearly as athletic. Zach Wilson's best intangible trait is feeling things around him and having the vision to make the right throw. Darnold all throughout his career has not handled pressure well and completely misses defenders watching him stare down his receiver. Joe Brady is gonna have to hardwire him differently to change those mental mistakes.

I have no idea how you are comparing Sanchez to Darnold and Wilson. Nothing alike. 

• Like 2