2021 ROOKIE QB's---- Who hits, who's OK, who busts?

squire12

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I think in light of Mac's previous history of drinking related issues, it's potentially cause for concern. Am I correct @Forge?

Correct. I mean, don't get me wrong. I said it in the niners forum; there's a bit of "boys will be boys" that you have to consider. Is it very likely that this is nothing? Sure. But I don't have access to all that information either. What I have are snippets that make Mac look worse than the others (in that specific regard). When you are picking #3oa and just traded a boat load of picks for a guy, everything is on the table...even stupid videos where he's in the club being a tool. Just as digging into Fields' transfer is valid or concerns with his epilepsy

And for those wondering, I thought the same thing about Baker in 2018. Everything is on the table. And I often still kid about Baker being a tool (though he won me over a little this year with his press conferences) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

And I often still kid about Baker being a tool (though he won me over a little this year with his press conferences) 

There's no doubt that Baker is a troll. I think that he's the guy who is "our troll" that you'd want on your team though. He's a great leader, has a great work ethic, and his teammates love him, as opposed to other guys who are tools ala Johnny Manziel or Ryan Leaf.

• Like 4

Thinking of best case/high end comparisons only for the top 5. Are these fair?

Trevor Lawrence - Peyton Manning

Zach Wilson - Russell Wilson

Trey Lance - Josh Allen

Justin Fields - Deshaun Watson

Mac Jones - Matt Ryan

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 2

On 4/8/2021 at 5:58 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Wilson - 2 (bad situation)

I'm not so sure. So far the coach and GM have said the right things and back it up last night trading up to take OL Alijah Vera-Tucker.  I don't understand any team that drafts a Franchise QB not making it the 1st priority to protect him. I would also use another Jets pick to take another OL Landon Dickerson.

IMO the Bengels are idiots and its already put their QB future at (2020 /2021 draft) risk.  The Chargers made a terrific pick to protect the QB, that what smart teams do.

I hate the Jets but never worried about them, I know they will screw up. Now, not so sure. They pick another OL !!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Trey Lance - Josh Allen

Mac Jones - Matt Ryan

No. Lawrence is a lot more athletic and physically impressive than Manning. He's probably more of an Elway comp. Fields is more of pocket passer than anything. Maybe a Brady type if everything goes right. Jones similarly has super high pocket presence and accuracy, he's probably closer to Drew Brees in that respect if he can translate his college skills. 

Of course the odds that any of them become elite on those high levels are against them, but those are the best case dream scenarios for their teams. 

Based on how this draft played out and how our FA was. I will say that Zach Wilson is walking into a much better situation than Sam Darnold was. The Jets organization seems to get it for the first time in ages. The HC and GM are on the same page, they have structure and are drafting with a plan. They are structuring the roster in the smart way. 

The offense has way more talent than they had in years and have potentially a dominant left side of the OL.

Zach Wilson = Fail hard

And what will be even funnier is when he does, people will say they didn't see that coming when all the clues were right in front of you.

-Benefitted from a hilariously soft schedule and Covid period. Yet still didn't win the marquee game that they did have (CCU)

-Wasn't even voted team captain

-Hardly faced any type of adversity IN LIFE period. (AKA Rich kid problems)

- Strangely gotten the benefit of the doubt and wasn't critiqued at all by fans/media (which will be a rude awakening with NY media)

I just don't think he is a big enough personality to survive in NY. NY is going to eat him alive, week in and week out of constant criticism and negativity. I don't see it at all....

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Zach Wilson = Fail hard

And what will be even funnier is when he does, people will say they didn't see that coming when all the clues were right in front of you.

-Benefitted from a hilariously soft schedule and Covid period. Yet still didn't win the marquee game that they did have (CCU)

-Wasn't even voted team captain

-Hardly faced any type of adversity IN LIFE PERIOD. (AKA Rich kid problems)

- Strangely gotten the benefit of the doubt and wasn't critiqued at all by fans/media (which will be a rude awakening with NY media)

I just don't think he is a big enough personality to survive in NY. NY is going to eat him alive, week in and week out of constant criticism and negativity. I don't see it at all....

This is literally filled with false statements lol.  And there have been tons of QBs that played weak competition in college that succeeded in the NFL, no one is bringing up that top for Trey Lance who only had 1 season.  Wilson had a labrum tear since HS and finally was healthy last season, I say that is some adversity playing injured for 2 seasons. 

EuEZ5KuXEAAjxhu.jpg

• Like 1

Or we can talk about the QBs that played with ELITE talent multiple 1st round picks with constantly open WRs but they played for the big school so they are okay. 

Wilson didn't play top talent, but he also didn't have top talent. He was constantly throwing guys open and hitting dimes on the field.  His skill set was advanced, the guy reads defenses and has that ability to scan the field  and make plays happen. 

I was really upset when we won too many games and lost out on Lawrence, but when I started watching Wilson I fell in love with him. The dude is a gamer and has elite arm talent. He is fearless and that is something that is needed for NY. 

• Like 3

JMO...

Fail safe: Lance. I don't see how he fails in that system. He may not be elite, but he'll be safe and a franchise QB

Will be OK due to landing spot: Mac Jones. We wouldn't get him doing stuff he can't do, and Josh will draw up basic concepts if need be and rely on run game instead. Now have two QB friendly TEs, Mac is accurate and takes care of ball. I feel safe saying he's going to hit, if be a kind of medium level QB

Will be OK due to talent: Lawrence. He'll overcome the persistent shortcomings of the overall team

I worry for them: Zach Wilson and Justin Fields. 2 and 3 on my QB rankings, but how can we trust these two organisations? Can you think of 2 teams that scream QB hall-of-dying than these two? I believe their talent is high enough, and the teams done well to get them - but I can't trust them at this stage

Won't see for a while: Trask, Mond, Mills

On 5/1/2021 at 8:42 PM, NYJets4716 said:

This is literally filled with false statements lol.  And there have been tons of QBs that played weak competition in college that succeeded in the NFL, no one is bringing up that top for Trey Lance who only had 1 season.  Wilson had a labrum tear since HS and finally was healthy last season, I say that is some adversity playing injured for 2 seasons. 

EuEZ5KuXEAAjxhu.jpg

Cool beans bro, you're a fan, of course you are suppose to defend your guy. He played some of the worst defenses in the country on some of the least talented teams in FBS, of course he's going to be throwing to wide open people or drop dimes. 

I just don't see him as a transformative savor type, especially in a place like NY. But good luck to you 

Edited by MSURacerDT55

On 4/30/2021 at 12:21 PM, 49ersfan said:

Trey Lance - Josh Allen

Mac Jones - Matt Ryan

No

• Like 1

if I had to pick out of the Top 4 I'd say Wilson:

- Gut Feeling

- The Jets

- Played in a horrid conference. Yeah, Lance was worse, but 1. Lance's skillset is the best of any QB I have probably ever evaluated, 2. 49ers/Shanahan, 3. Super smart football IQ, 41-0 TD/INT Ratio is hard no matter where you are. 

Am I saying I think Wilson will bust? No. I actually think all four QB's in this class will be good. I'm just saying IF I had to pick one. 

Edited by BayRaider

On 4/30/2021 at 6:40 AM, MWil23 said:

I think in light of Mac's previous history of drinking related issues, it's potentially cause for concern. Am I correct @Forge?

Mac has a drinking problem? Explains the beer gut at 22 frickin years old... like seriously, who has a beer gut at 22? I understand sometimes people are fat of all ages, but he's not fat, he literally has a classic beer gut from beer drinking.