What's a Football take that has you like this?

August4th

15 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So your personal opinion about Lamar is the only one that's correct and anyone who offers a different opinion is stupid because you don't agree with it. Gotcha.

Since opinions from us plebs are not worthy of your reading time then I'll be sure to alert the media and tell them to defer to AngusBeefMartyMcFly from now on.

Some opinions are thoughtful, and some are just stupid. 

For instance, calling Lamar's rookie year "putrid" when he:
- Takes over a 4-5 team and goes 6-1, with the loss being an overtime loss in KC.
- Turns a bottom 5 rushing attack into the most dominant rushing attack in the league
- Posts passing numbers that are slightly below average 
- Was running an offense designed for Joe Flacco 

is obviously bad analysis.

Likewise, calling his 2019 year merely "good" when he
- Was only the 2nd unanimous MVP in league history
- Was the youngest MVP since Jim Brown
- Led a historically great offense in terms of points per drive
- Led the league in TD passes despite sitting out 2+ games worth because he was blowing so many teams out

makes your agenda quite transparent. 

Kind of like you being a Ravens is not driving YOUR opinion...

I'm plenty critical of Ravens players. I've railed against Flacco for many years.

It's fine to have opinions, but if you can't back up your opinion with evidence and still stick with the opinion, I don't know what else to call it.  

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Some opinions are thoughtful, and some are just stupid. 

For instance, calling Lamar's rookie year "putrid" when he:
- Takes over a 4-5 team and goes 6-1, with the loss being an overtime loss in KC.
- Turns a bottom 5 rushing attack into the most dominant rushing attack in the league
- Posts passing numbers that are slightly below average 
- Was running an offense designed for Joe Flacco 

is obviously bad analysis.

Likewise, calling his 2019 year merely "good" when he
- Was only the 2nd unanimous MVP in league history
- Was the youngest MVP since Jim Brown
- Led a historically great offense in terms of points per drive
- Led the league in TD passes despite sitting out 2+ games worth because he was blowing so many teams out

makes your agenda quite transparent. 

I'm plenty critical of Ravens players. I've railed against Flacco for many years.

It's fine to have opinions, but if you can't back up your opinion with evidence and still stick with the opinion, I don't know what else to call it.  

Ok but who do you think the Ravens will draft next year #3 overall? Gotta be a QB, right?

"Ravens fans have a persecution complex about Lamar." 

from the forum that brought you...

"There was never any narrative that Lamar couldn't win a playoff game."

I believe this is what the kids call gaslighting

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

I get what you’re saying about getting your opinion disparaged as stupid because unfortunately that approach to different opiniions rears it’s head all over this website and really takes away from discussion,

First off, thank you for a mature and reasonable response that helps furthers the conversation, and one that could possibly help, instead of just lashing out. Props to you for that.  

Anyhow, I absolutely agree with this. Hell, I'm guilty of doing it myself at times.

However I’m of the opinion that it’s not Ravens fans that are are too sensitive about Lamar, it’s that sports fans in general like to correct takes they disagree with especially when it pertains to their team. The reason you see so many Ravens fan come out of the woodwork so often is simply because Lamar is on the Ravens and discussions about him are framed as him being terrible more often than any other star player in the league. 

I agree with this.  Yes, as I said, every team have these type of fans and critics. 

This goes back to what I was saying about how Lamar's been perceived as a RB and not as a QB. For the record, I'm not in that boat at all if that's what you think. 

The media has framed him as being a one trick pony and some people simply latched onto it. Welcome to the age of social media where some people cannot think for themselves and only follow what they read like robots.  Others may also think this for possibly different reasons which can't be discussed on here.  This was brought to my attention by someone via PM, and they may have a point so S/O to them. Out of respect, I'll keep their name anonymous.

my main issue is that the take that “Lamar is terrible” is so common on FF and in NFL media that it really doesn’t belong in this thread. you can think he’s not good, I don’t really care about that beside feeling bad for people who get their panties in a knot over incredibly entertaining football, but just don’t pretend it’s some brave and unpopular take because the “trololol Lamar can’t throw” kids are overwhelmingly the loudest voice in any discussion on Lamar Jackson and should be the source of the blame for derailing any thoughtful conversation rather than Ravens fans who wish to counter it.

First, just to be clear, I don't think Lamar is terrible at all, so I don't fit in this boat either.

Second, I'm not really sure what group you're referring to here but it sounds to me like you're referring to "Trolls".

In which case, just ignore em. Simple as that.  Like I said in my previous post, if you're a fan of the team/player being discussed then you have to be able to separate the differences between criticism and "haters" and have the ability to weed out them out. 

Only pay attention to opinions from those that you find to be fair--critical or not--and that's for you to decide since it can be very subjective.  However, this also relies on you being self-aware enough to recognize the differences based on what you're looking for. 

also you’ve raised  Ravens fans who want “grovelling at the feet” which is a major stretch

we can all disagree, but to frame this as being about Ravens fans who want grovelling at the feet of Lamar because we consistently share that we disagree with “lol he’s turrible and trash” is pretty disingenuous. 

That was a hyperbolic statement to get my point across is all.  Don't take it literal.  I was in no way saying Ravens aren't happy unless you're ooohing and awwing about Lamar.  It was simply just another way of saying that Ravens seem to have hard time accepting any negative comment about Lamar. That's all. 

Again though, I appreciate the respectful response.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

The fact that people who probably barely watched the jets last year for some reason have this weird perception that darnold is a good quarterback.

I am very sad to say that there are Bears fans who legit wanna take a chance on him and I can't figure out why either.

6 hours ago, Greene N White said:

The fact that people who probably barely watched the jets last year for some reason have this weird perception that darnold is a good quarterback.

It really has nothing to do with Darnold, tbh. It's moreso to do with how bad that Jets offense/supporting cast is. I'm only half joking when I say that the Houston Roughnecks of the XFL has a better offense. I'm dead serious when I say Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State have a better offense.

Outside of Becton, I don't see a single NFL quality starter on that team. Outside of Becton, Jameson Crowder, Chris Herndon and Denzel Mims, I don't see a single player who would even make a 53 man roster on any other NFL team.

Darnold might be part of that dearth of talent, sure. But I'd like to see a different supporting cast before I make that assumption. We'll know pretty early on with Darnold in Carolina whether or not this is the case, it'll be a definitive yes or no.

3 hours ago, DawgX said:

Yup. And your opinion about Stefanski when the Browns hired him proved to be a pretty stupid one. 🙂

We'll see how it plays out. According to DVOA the Browns were 18th in DVOA last year at -5.7%. They were lucky to get to 10 wins by week 17, and then barely beat a Steeler team  resting their starters. They played the 3rd easiest schedule in the NFL. 

I'll wait to see Stefanski lead a team to a DVOA above 0% before crowning him. 

I remember plenty of Cleveland fans crowning Freddy Kitchens after 2018. Maybe try stacking a couple good years before getting too confident.