Julian Edelman Released and Retired - Farewell Sweet Prince

DoleINGout

Would love to see Edelman with one more full season but looks like he isn't going to be able to hold up. Hell of a player

Not as easy as just drafting a slot receiver, Edelman has been special in huge moments. I have a feeling he doesn't retire but ends up on IR pretty early in the season then retires after this year. He seems like a guy who will want to be around the team one last season even after his body has given up.. and with all the new receivers on the team I'm sure BB would appreciate having him as basically an extra receivers coach. 

Elijah Moore / D'wayne Eskridge / Rondale Moore / Jaelon Darden / Amari Rodgers are some names to look out for as potential slot guys in this draft ( I believe I've seen reports of Pats speaking with Eskridge and maybe Moore so far) 

54 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I remember Patriots posters on this website when he was a prospect and projecting him to be added. Boy how time flies.

I remember his first TC. It was a polarizing debate. My guy @Troy Brown and others like myself were day one fans, and pulling for him to make the roster. Then he crushed his first pre-season, IIRC. Pretty sure ICB was a huge doubter if my memory serves me right.

He really should just retire at this point. Reminds me of the Pedroia scenario that the Red Sox were in.

26 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

I remember his first TC. It was a polarizing debate. My guy @Troy Brown and others like myself were day one fans, and pulling for him to make the roster. Then he crushed his first pre-season, IIRC. Pretty sure ICB was a huge doubter if my memory serves me right.

He really should just retire at this point. Reminds me of the Pedroia scenario that the Red Sox were in.

You forgot how much I sniffed his jock strap

ICB:

The Edelman love in this forum is out of control. You don't see how Edelman couldn't contribute this season? He was a 7th round pick for a reason. For starters, he's only like 190 lbs. He doesn't have a true position. The only way he would make any type of impact would be gimmick plays in this league.

I would be very surprised if this guy ever makes an impact for us to be honest.

Me:

Um, Troy Brown anyone?

Edelman seems to be the white Troy Brown to me

Brown was drafted in the 198th overall to Edelman's 232nd overall

the 40 time was probably around the same ball-park, but to be honest I couldnt find Troy's time, can anyone help me out there?

And no ICB, I dont expect him to be the next Troy Brown, however nice that would be. All Im saying here is that he reminds me of him. Plus, we wont know if hes the next Troy for 7 more years now wont we

😉

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=323874&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It's mentioned in this thread that he debuted in Madden with a 59 overall lol

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=338407&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105

2 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

yep! ICB was furious that anyone believed in him lol. I made a post in that TC thread about thinking he was going to make the team and maybe even contribute year 1 iirc and boy was i... eventually right. dude just had it immediately. 

the patriots version of pedroia :( but you know, not as good. but really scrappy!

also, pretty cool to remember being at someone like JE's first day of TC. TC used to be a really great experience. It's gotta be a whole carnival now, though

Edited by Troy Brown
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

also, pretty cool to remember being at someone like JE's first day of TC. TC used to be a really great experience. It's gotta be a whole carnival now, though

We were in the same place at the same time? Awkward

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Am I the only one that thinks there's no way he retires this season?

I don't think he has anything to prove, but I bet he thinks he has something to prove. He can do it without the GOAT

I think he would be the type of guy who potentially retires in camp.. but more than likely tries to start the season, ends up on IR then retires after this season. 

BB will certainly want his leadership around.. and if he can help out some of the new guys, that's worth it. It is also worth noting that I don't believe Edelman has been to any of these passing camps Stid/Cam have had. Now he isn't 100% so I get him not going full speed catching but I am surprised he wouldn't want to spend time around the new guys and help them out. 

In fairness to what ICB was speaking to, people who post here, (and especially back then), are guilty of hyping up every move the Pats make and projecting them into a role that some other great player had worked hard to accomplish. There is an expectation of things just working out and leading to success with the Pats. It has become much more 50-50 in terms of pessimism versus optimism compared to when Julian Edelman was in training camp as a rookie on the fringe of the roster. At least on this subforum. But at the time, I don't blame ICB for being one of the ONLY posters who was starting to push back on some of the idealism and romantic expectations that posters had. In Edelman's case, it worked out and ICB's prediction was off. But the point he made at large I agree with and credit him for.

Edited by DoleINGout
  • Like 2

Very good point, it's really a testament to the amount of work Edelman had to put in to get to where he is today. He really had no business being as good as he was, he had to have put in an insane amount of work to get to where he is today. 

I remember when Gunnar made the cut a couple years ago everyone was shouting that he was the next Edelman.. but even thinking such a thing completely downplays how impressive Edelman has been throughout his career. 100 times out of 100, a guy in Edelman's position would have been considered a success just sticking on the roster, hell Gunnar's career is already a success given that he's stuck around as an UDFA for a few years. 

• Like 1