Who will be the surprise top 10 pick?

paul-mac

Almost every mock has a top 10 consisting of some combination of the 5 QBs, 3 WRs, Pitts, Sewell/Slater, Surtain and Parsons.

However past history shows us that it’s likely one player will come off the board early that will be a surprise to the draft commentariat. Thinking back to my early days of following the draft, Darius Heyward-Bey raised eyebrows in 2009 followed by Tyson Alualu the following year. More recently two years ago there was a big surprise when the Raiders spent the fourth overall pick on Clelin Ferrell who was seen as a mid to late first round pick by most.

The name I’m looking at this year is Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah. The NFL is a copycat league and having seen the Bucs ride their way to a title with two star LBs I could see LBs getting pushed up the board this year. I also think a lot of teams will take Parsons off their board due to his character issues which could push up the other LBs. JOK is the kind of coverage LB that teams love these days. I honestly could see any of the teams in the back end of the top 10 who need a LB pulling the trigger. 

Jaelan Phillips, if a team is comfortable with his medical, the talent and pedigree warrant a top ten pick.  I think the Darrisaw hype has been overblown. I could see Jenkins and Cosmi both going ahead of him.  I think the character stuff with Parsons has also been overblown.  Sounded like some hazing that was taken a bit too far, not condoning it, but 18 year old boys in a locker room get out of hand sometimes. I think he’s a top 10 pick all day.  Might be crazy but I could see Dickerson land somewhere in the 20’s.  I still think the story of the first night will be the fall of Devonte Smith. I just can’t wrap my head around a team spending a high first on a kid that size and no testing measurables. That’s crazy to me.  

3 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Jaelan Phillips, if a team is comfortable with his medical, the talent and pedigree warrant a top ten pick.  I think the Darrisaw hype has been overblown. I could see Jenkins and Cosmi both going ahead of him.  I think the character stuff with Parsons has also been overblown.  Sounded like some hazing that was taken a bit too far, not condoning it, but 18 year old boys in a locker room get out of hand sometimes. I think he’s a top 10 pick all day.  Might be crazy but I could see Dickerson land somewhere in the 20’s.  I still think the story of the first night will be the fall of Devonte Smith. I just can’t wrap my head around a team spending a high first on a kid that size and no testing measurables. That’s crazy to me.  

I can’t wrap my head around a guy literally torching every single team he played with ease not going in the top 10, even if he was a paraplegic midget. He roasted everyone en route to a national championship. I would take him over Chase and Waddle. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

I can’t wrap my head around a guy literally torching every single team he played with ease not going in the top 10, even if he was a paraplegic midget. He roasted everyone en route to a national championship. I would take him over Chase and Waddle. 

I’ve seen plenty of guys roast college defenses and bust in the NFL.  By that logic, Tavon Austin should be on his way to Canton in a few years.  The measurables are taken for a reason.  I’m excited to see him in the NFL, I hope he tears it up. But if he does he’s gonna be an outlier, I just think it’s gonna be hard for an NFL GM to sink a top 10 pick into an outlier. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I’ve seen plenty of guys roast college defenses and bust in the NFL.  By that logic, Tavon Austin should be on his way to Canton in a few years.  The measurables are taken for a reason.  I’m excited to see him in the NFL, I hope he tears it up. But if he does he’s gonna be an outlier, I just think it’s gonna be hard for an NFL GM to sink a top 10 pick into an outlier. 

Tavon Austin dominated great college teams en route to a National Championship? No offense, but it shouldn’t be hard to notice the difference between Smith and Austin. Smith uses quicks and unbelievable route running to get open. Austin was a gadget player. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Tavon Austin dominated great college teams en route to a National Championship? No offense, but it shouldn’t be hard to notice the difference between Smith and Austin. Smith uses quicks and unbelievable route running to get open. Austin was a gadget player. 

Do you think Bama would have lost without DeVonta?

6 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Do you think Bama would have lost without DeVonta?

No, but he was unquestionably the best player on the best team. And was unquestionably the most dominant player on the field in big games. In every game, for that matter. He made good players look like absolute hot garbage.

It’s not a guarantee that he’ll be a stud, but why would weight all of a sudden matter in the NFL, when dudes he played against were the same size as NFL players? It’s not like he was torching small DBs and couldn’t beat a physical press. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

No offense taken. I’ll stand by what I said, I’ve definitely been wrong many times before.  

13 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Almost every mock has a top 10 consisting of some combination of the 5 QBs, 3 WRs, Pitts, Sewell/Slater, Surtain and Parsons.

However past history shows us that it’s likely one player will come off the board early that will be a surprise to the draft commentariat. Thinking back to my early days of following the draft, Darius Heyward-Bey raised eyebrows in 2009 followed by Tyson Alualu the following year. More recently two years ago there was a big surprise when the Raiders spent the fourth overall pick on Clelin Ferrell who was seen as a mid to late first round pick by most.

The name I’m looking at this year is Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah. The NFL is a copycat league and having seen the Bucs ride their way to a title with two star LBs I could see LBs getting pushed up the board this year. I also think a lot of teams will take Parsons off their board due to his character issues which could push up the other LBs. JOK is the kind of coverage LB that teams love these days. I honestly could see any of the teams in the back end of the top 10 who need a LB pulling the trigger. 

I think teams might be a little down on JOK, since Isaiah Simmons is basically a superior version of him and didn't do much as a rook.

4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Jaelen Phillips

Would that really surprise you tho? He's probably DE 1 if you look past medicals. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he's the first DL off the board.

Edited by Jeezla

7 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Would that really surprise you tho? He's probably DE 1 if you look past medicals. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he's the first DL off the board.

I mean me writing his name in the “who will be the surprise top 10 pick” thread should probably let you know that I wouldn’t be utterly shocked by it considering he’s my answer to the question lol but virtually every mock draft has him in the teens-20s range so I guess it’d still be somewhat surprising.

I think most people would be pretty surprised if he went before any of the current “unanimous top 10” guys like Lawrence/Wilson/Fields/Jones/Chase/Pitts/Sewell/Surtain/Slater