Who will be the surprise top 10 pick?

paul-mac

5 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I mean me writing his name in the “who will be the surprise top 10 pick” thread should probably let you know that I wouldn’t be utterly shocked by it considering he’s my answer to the question lol but virtually every mock draft has him in the teens-20s range so I guess it’d still be somewhat surprising.

I think most people would be pretty surprised if he went before any of the current “unanimous top 10” guys like Lawrence/Wilson/Fields/Jones/Chase/Pitts/Sewell/Surtain/Slater 

Wouldn't surprise me if he went before Slater/Surtain. CB is ultra risky in the 1st (especially if you don't have a pass rush in place- like Detroit), and some teams are going to view Slater as an OG.

The Raiders will probably make the 1st "wtf" pick, based on their history of Kolton Miller, Clelin Farrell, and Arnette all going about 15 picks before people thought they would go (a full round and a half earlier in Arnette's case). Get ready for Davis Mills or Kellen Mond or...Jamin Davis going 17th.
And in round 2 the Seahawks will take a Senior Bowl OL or CB that was predicted to go in the 3rd or 4th, like Aaron Banks or Keith Taylor. They also would have taken that same person in round 1.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Would that really surprise you tho? He's probably DE 1 if you look past medicals. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he's the first DL off the board.

Me either, but medicals means he could be a pick for the guy who falls.

Teams are much more risk adverse on medicals than fans are, that's for sure.  We don't know how bad the medical evaluation might be.  Has wrist surgery, two ankle surgeries, and three known concussions, I think is what I read.  I don't really know how medical evaluations work with concussions, can they actually test and see if a player is more prone to concussions?  

I'd throw Terrace Marshall out there for a long shot top 10 pick.  

Edited by massraider
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I think teams might be a little down on JOK, since Isaiah Simmons is basically a superior version of him and didn't do much as a rook.

JOK is better than Simmons IMO. Give me JOK because he’s got elite instincts. Simmons is much more physically impressive, but JOK is a superior player and prospect IMO. I was never a big Simmons fan. I think Parsons compares more to Simmons than JOK does. 

I could easily seeing one of the tackles people don't expect sneaking in as OT2 after Sewell, so one of Cosmi, Darrisaw, Jenkins could go much higher than some expect if a team loves them.

JOK is a good one, or a real dark horse could be Jarmin Davis

Barmore is the only DT I could see a team falling in love with, the talent is there if you think the motor issues are done.

And edge could be a surprise, so one of Paye, Ossai, Oweh, or Phillips

Greg Newsome, I could see a team seeing him as a dark horse, but that might be the longest shot i've thrown up here yet.

Just now, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Barmore is not good 

I wouldn't touch him in the top 20 let alone top 10

I like him a lot. He's an ideal 3 Tech who is able to create a nice vertical push and disruption in the backfield if you want a penetrating 3 Tech in your scheme. He's got very violent hands and really good footwork. His first step is pretty explosive, and there's not much to not like so long as he plays within the scheme. 

Just now, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

good ones that have been mentioned :

JOK

Oweh 

imo 

Paye should go that high

Horn has been on the rise too

I'd be shocked to see JOK going that high.

16 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Wouldn't surprise me if he went before Slater/Surtain. CB is ultra risky in the 1st (especially if you don't have a pass rush in place- like Detroit), and some teams are going to view Slater as an OG.

I would be shocked at this point if he went top 10. But I guess not too shocked since I'm bringing him up as a possibility in this thread lol but I don't see it tbh way too many medical concerns for a top10er

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I like him a lot. He's an ideal 3 Tech who is able to create a nice vertical push and disruption in the backfield if you want a penetrating 3 Tech in your scheme. He's got very violent hands and really good footwork. His first step is pretty explosive, and there's not much to not like so long as he plays within the scheme. 

Barmore's tape is meh

he mostly just overpowers college OLineman, i dont think hes going to be able to consistently do that in the NFL

plus his motor is in question, he didnt do much and then went on an absolute tear in the college football playoffs

14 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Barmore's tape is meh

he mostly just overpowers college OLineman, i dont think hes going to be able to consistently do that in the NFL

plus his motor is in question, he didnt do much and then went on an absolute tear in the college football playoffs

Considering he was hurt in the early part of the season and likely adjusting due to COVID protocols/everything else, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, especially given the success he had against elite competition. As for the overpowering part, he's got great hands, great feet, and an explosive first step. Those things are universally translatable. He will definitely need to add some moves to his repertoire at this level, but the baseline ability is there. 

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Considering he was hurt in the early part of the season and likely adjusting due to COVID protocols/everything else, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, especially given the success he had against elite competition. As for the overpowering part, he's got great hands, great feet, and an explosive first step. Those things are universally translatable. He will definitely need to add some moves to his repertoire at this level, but the baseline ability is there. 

im just not seeing it, i watched a bit of him because i think the Bucs could target Edge/Interior DLine and i just didnt like what i saw from Barmore

I definitely do not see this  "explosive first step" that you mention, he has a nice  rip move but other than that its mostly bull rushing which he did with ease in college, and i just dont see him doing that in the Pros

but im not trying to detract from the main topic, i 100% dont see Barmore in the top 10