Falcons Pick at 4

goldfishwars

Who should they pick?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who should they pick?

• QBOTF - Fields/Lance
    • Best Non QB - Sewell/Pitts (For Example)
    • Trade Back

Falcons hold the key to the first round at pick 4, what do you think is in their best interest? 

Option 1 

Take a QB. Matt Ryan is still under a non-tradeable contract, but is entering his sunsetting years in Atlanta and they might not get an opportunity to pick this high again. One of Trey Lance or Justin Fields is very likely going to be available here, those are perfect QBs to groom behind him. 

Option 2

Take a top tier non QB. Ryan is still playing quality football and might be for a few seasons yet. Atlanta can get a real difference-making foundation piece with the pick of all the of non QBs at their disposal.

Option 3

Cash in and trade back. The roster has plenty of holes and there are likely to be some QB hungry teams lining up to offer a bounty to get their guy.

I find it pretty interesting that Matthew Stafford can fetch two firsts in his 13th year yet Ryan is talked about as basically being done in his 14th.

Personally though I’d go QB if they view any of the options available as being a ten year starter in this league. Ryan’s contract is tradable next offseason and he would likely net them a decent return.

If they DON’T like any of the QBs (personally I would NOT take one if the top three are Lawrence-Wilson-Fields) then I’d trade down. Getting someone like Surtain AND a big haul is better than just Kyle Pitts. 

• Like 1

If they have the pick on Draft Day and Pitts is there at #4, what they should do is run to the podium and make that pick. If he's not there, they should seriously consider trading down. 

That's what they should do. 

What I'd like them to do is trade down with the Bears. #20, #83, and Eddie Jackson in '21. Then, the '22 first and '22 second. And whatever else after that. 

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

IF the Falcons stay at 4, I feel fairly confident they're taking Pitts there.  But I think they'll look for a team to move up.

I agree that it is probably Pitts if ATL stays at 4.  A trade back all depends on how the teams that would be looking at QB like which 2 are still on the board.   

Assuming it goes 1.  Lawrence   2.  Wilson

Depending on who SF takes, a team looking to move up would have to like 1 of the remaining QB enough to make that move.  

If you feel a franchise QB is available at #4 you take him no questions asked. Would be idiotic not to. This team isn't close to winning a Superbowl and Matt is turning 36 this year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

If they have the pick on Draft Day and Pitts is there at #4, what they should do is run to the podium and make that pick. If he's not there, they should seriously consider trading down. 

That's what they should do. 

What I'd like them to do is trade down with the Bears. #20, #83, and Eddie Jackson in '21. Then, the '22 first and '22 second. And whatever else after that. 

Taking Pitts would be a horrible decision. Matt is 36 and only has a few years left in him before he declines significantly. ATL already has great pass catching options, the oline has some question marks and the defense is horrible. 

If you're trying to win with Matt then you HAVE to turn the defense around in a hurry which means trading down and targeting someone like Jaelean Phillips. Even then your chances of building a good team around Matt with limited cap space over the next two years is slim. Which is why QB should be the move. 

18 minutes ago, JJ6 said:

Taking Pitts would be a horrible decision. Matt is 36 and only has a few years left in him before he declines significantly. ATL already has great pass catching options, the oline has some question marks and the defense is horrible. 

If you're trying to win with Matt then you HAVE to turn the defense around in a hurry which means trading down and targeting someone like Jaelean Phillips. Even then your chances of building a good team around Matt with limited cap space over the next two years is slim. Which is why QB should be the move. 

Seems to me that you are sort of torn as to what they should do. How limited is the cap space? Should they draft a QB at #4, and cut Ryan, just tear that scabbed over Band-Aid off right now?  To me, that seems weird, but I'd like to know what you're thinking. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Seems to me that you are sort of torn as to what they should do. How limited is the cap space? Should they draft a QB at #4, and cut Ryan, just tear that scabbed over Band-Aid off right now?  To me, that seems weird, but I'd like to know what you're thinking. 

I'm not torn at all. Very adamant on drafting Lance or Fields at #4, letting them sit for a year and then trading Ryan next year as a post June 1st move. 

I just don't think this team is close to winning a Superbowl. Considering Matts age and the history of QB play over the age of 36, your window to win with Matt is like 3-4 years. Considering this upcoming year is a write off and the limited cap space in 2022 you'd essentially be punting 50%-75% of that timeline. Although you could compete in 2022 if you smash this and next years draft WHILE Julio and Matt maintain their level of play. I think the chances of all this happening are low. 

If the Falcons are adamant on trying to win with Matt THEN you'd have to trade down if you want any shot of that happening. The defense is atrocious, and the oline has question marks at LG, C and RT. I feel Arthur Smith will get the oline performing at a high level as the talent is there. The defense needs a major rebuild. You need as many picks as you can get to make that unit competent. Which means a trade down. 

Adding another offensive weapon, as good as Pitts or even Chase is, will not do much for this team considering all the other holes. 

16 minutes ago, JJ6 said:

I'm not torn at all. Very adamant on drafting Lance or Fields at #4, letting them sit for a year and then trading Ryan next year as a post June 1st move. 

I just don't think this team is close to winning a Superbowl. Considering Matts age and the history of QB play over the age of 36, your window to win with Matt is like 3-4 years. Considering this upcoming year is a write off and the limited cap space in 2022 you'd essentially be punting 50%-75% of that timeline. Although you could compete in 2022 if you smash this and next years draft WHILE Julio and Matt maintain their level of play. I think the chances of all this happening are low. 

If the Falcons are adamant on trying to win with Matt THEN you'd have to trade down if you want any shot of that happening. The defense is atrocious, and the oline has question marks at LG, C and RT. I feel Arthur Smith will get the oline performing at a high level as the talent is there. The defense needs a major rebuild. You need as many picks as you can get to make that unit competent. Which means a trade down. 

Adding another offensive weapon, as good as Pitts or even Chase is, will not do much for this team considering all the other holes. 

Hmmm. Lot to unpack there. 

Okay, first of all, trading Ryan next year, after June 1st...may not be a very realistic possibility. Just thought I'd point that out at the onset.

Pitts would provide a different aspect to your offense, and you'd have the whole rest of the draft to go after defense. 

But, that's not the direction you'd like to see them go in, so we'll stop right there. 

Is there any way they can improve their cap situation? Who is holding it down? Also, I was under the impression that the Falcon's current circumstances aren't quite as dire as you make them out to be. But I don't follow the team closely. Do you think they will draft Ryan's eventual replacement, or do a trade down? Does my Bears hypothetical work in a trade down situation? Should they be looking to trade Julio if they stay at #4 and take a QB? 

• Like 1