Falcons Pick at 4

goldfishwars

Who should they pick?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who should they pick?

• QBOTF - Fields/Lance
    • Best Non QB - Sewell/Pitts (For Example)
    • Trade Back

Taking Pitts would be smartest. Ryan could have 5-6 years left. 

Trading down would be the wisest. Getting a haul to go down to 7-9 (7-9 + 2nd + 1st next year at minimum) would be the best thing they could do. Could potentially still get Pitts. 

Taking a QB would be the expected pick, but I think that's a smoke screen at this point. Anyone who thinks Pitts is a bad move doesn't understand the kind of player Pitts is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Trading down would be the wisest. Getting a haul to go down to 7-9 (7-9 + 2nd + 1st next year at minimum) would be the best thing they could do. Could potentially still get Pitts. 

You're talking about three to five slots--even though a QB would be involved, that's probably about the maximum haul you could hope for. Still a good deal, though. Maybe they'll hook up with Denver. Makes a lot of sense. 

3 hours ago, JJ6 said:

If you feel a franchise QB is available at #4 you take him no questions asked. Would be idiotic not to. This team isn't close to winning a Superbowl and Matt is turning 36 this year. 

And Drew Brees lasted til 42. I think MAtt could too. He's more durable. 

3 hours ago, JJ6 said:

Taking Pitts would be a horrible decision. Matt is 36 and only has a few years left in him before he declines significantly. ATL already has great pass catching options, the oline has some question marks and the defense is horrible. 

If you're trying to win with Matt then you HAVE to turn the defense around in a hurry which means trading down and targeting someone like Jaelean Phillips. Even then your chances of building a good team around Matt with limited cap space over the next two years is slim. Which is why QB should be the move. 

I disagree there. I think Matt could be like Brady in that he doesn't decline heavily because his strengths have never been arm strength or physical athleticism. Defense turning around isn't going to happen overnight. You improve the offense and the defense doesn't have to do as much. Especially if Arthur builds us a run game.

• Like 1

Just now, Heinz D. said:

You're talking about three to five slots--even though a QB would be involved, that's probably about the maximum haul you could hope for. Still a good deal, though. Maybe they'll hook up with Denver. Makes a lot of sense. 

That's what it's going to cost. Look at the move up from 12-3 and that cost. This is one whole 1st rounder less.

16 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I disagree there. I think Matt could be like Brady in that he doesn't decline heavily because his strengths have never been arm strength or physical athleticism. Defense turning around isn't going to happen overnight. You improve the offense and the defense doesn't have to do as much. Especially if Arthur builds us a run game.

I totally agree with your...disagreement. 😆

Although, as I've already admitted, I don't follow the team that closely, I did watch them play last year and nothing I've seen or heard suggests that Ryan is even close to being done. Stick with Ryan. If you have a rare talent like Pitts staring you in the face at #4...you take the rare talent, and worry about the rest later. 

15 minutes ago, scar988 said:

That's what it's going to cost. Look at the move up from 12-3 and that cost. This is one whole 1st rounder less.

It would be around there, yeah. Still a really good deal. You might be saying goodbye to Pitts...but it still might be worth it. Although, I'm not sure you really need a LT or WR--that high, anyway. Although Kwity Payne or Micah Parsons might do you folks just fine. 

"Got a franchise QB?  Trade up if you don't, down if you do."

Staying and taking either Penei Sewell or Kyle Pitts would be a reasonable alternative but the bountiful offers for the #4 pick will be too hard to resist.  As Oscar Wilde said:

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."

Don't make the deal too soon, though.  Make 'em sweat a little.

"This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last."

18 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I totally agree with your...disagreement. 😆

Although, as I've already admitted, I don't follow the team that closely, I did watch them play last year and nothing I've seen or heard suggests that Ryan is even close to being done. Stick with Ryan. If you have a rare talent like Pitts staring you in the face at #4...you take the rare talent, and worry about the rest later. 

It would be around there, yeah. Still a really good deal. You might be saying goodbye to Pitts...but it still might be worth it. Although, I'm not sure you really need a LT or WR--that high, anyway. Although Kwity Payne or Micah Parsons might do you folks just fine. 

Thank you. Don't need an LT that high, if Pitts isn't there, trading down a 2nd time might not be a bad idea. Like trade to 9 and get a 2nd and 1st for next year. Then trade down to 15 and get a 3rd  this year and 2nd next.

17 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Staying and taking either Penei Sewell or Kyle Pitts would be a reasonable alternative but the bountiful offers for the #4 pick will be too hard to resist.  As Oscar Wilde said:

Don't make the deal too soon, though.  Make 'em sweat a little.

LOL agreed with this. But if they can trade down to say 9, get the extra 2 this year and a 1 next AND get Pitts, that's ideal to me.

• Like 1

Trade down option is the best way to go considering our cap space problem and us needing quite a few younger contracts to fill alot of the vet holes we are going to have to make over the next few years to get the cap space back in order.     For those that thing moving on from Ryan this year or next is a smart move or feasible hasn't looked at the restructure situation we just put ourselves in.   Even if we cut matt next year in 2022 it is 40 million in dead cap space and thats way to much money to have without the talented player in ryan on the team getting a return for it.   The soonest we can move on from Ryan would be 2023 and thats still like 15 to 20 mil in dead cap space we have kicked that contract down the road with 4 extensions now making Ryan pretty much locked in at this point for another 2 to 3 years. 

The 2nd best option would be to take Pitts at 4 as he is a generational talent and will truly be the BPA on any board after Lawrence is gone.  I still don't think we need a TE but one with his upside is worth the risk in the long run.  But  without a doubt if we can get even 1 team to offer a 2nd rounder this year and a 1st next year  then you take it if it's in the top 10 or so.   If we can get to 15 or 19 by taking on a 2 or 3 1sts + some mid picks and a player then you go that route as well. 

The absolute worst thing to do is to take a QB at 4 with Ryan still being as good as he is he could still possibly be here another 5 to 6 years and the QB taken would be a waste.   To me it's not worth taking a QB and sitting him for 3 years because you only get 1 year of him on a cheap contract starting before you then have to give out big money to him which puts you right back in cap hell with little money to put players around him.    I will only take a Rookie QB in round 1 if im starting him that year or the year after and i have no reliable QB already.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

To me it's not worth taking a QB and sitting him for 3 years because you only get 1 year of him on a cheap contract starting before you then have to give out big money to him which puts you right back in cap hell with little money to put players around him.   

Not only that, but you wouldn't even really know if he's a good starter at that point. 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Not only that, but you wouldn't even really know if he's a good starter at that point. 

Oh i fully agree on that 1 year can for sure be a fluke even if he shows out during that 1 year starting.  Then you run the risk of letting him play on his final year without a new contract and you might end up doing the franchise dance and that never turns out good for a player with only 1 or 2 years starting time lol. 

1 hour ago, indifference said:

Draft Surtain CB Alabama

Would love to he is 1 of my main 2 targets if we can do a trade down.   I don't think Surtain is bpa enough at 4 to take him over a talent like Pitts but at say 9 im all over it.  Same with Micah Parsons i would be all over them in the 9 to 15 range. 

1 hour ago, FalconFan13 said:

Would love to he is 1 of my main 2 targets if we can do a trade down.   I don't think Surtain is bpa enough at 4 to take him over a talent like Pitts but at say 9 im all over it.  Same with Micah Parsons i would be all over them in the 9 to 15 range. 

Is there REALLy a big gap between Pitts and Surtain? If Surtain projects as an 10+ year starter in the bloodlines say Patrick Peterson, to me, I say screw it. Pitts is fantastic but im dont draft TEs high personally. Pitts will be a star in the league but Surtain will be too, and plays 1 of most important positions. Just my .02 if ATL is smart they “reach” and ignore the haters. 

56 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Atlanta won’t be in SB contention in the near future so there’s no reason not to take Fields or Lance.  

and you know this how?   It's not unheard of to go from a coaching staffwho lost it's way to a new one and improve enough to be in the playoffs within a year or 2. 

We went from 4-12 under Bobby Petrino in 2007  to going   11-5, 9-7, 13-3, 10-6, and 13-3  under Mike Smith finishing 1st or 2nd in the nfc south and making the playoffs 4 out of those 5 years. 

We went from 6-10 under Mike Smith in 2014 his last year to  8-8, 11-5, and 10-6 Quinns 1st 3 seasons and damn well should have won the SB in the 2nd season under Quinn.

We have a very talented roster still with a ton of offensive weapons and fire power    While still also having some very good pieces on defense in Grady, Debo, Foye, and AJ Terrell.   While also having good upside guys in Dante Fowler and Marlon Davidson.

Ryan is more than good enough as a QB to lead us to a SB still for the next 5 to 6 years.