Falcons Pick at 4

goldfishwars

Who should they pick?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who should they pick?

• QBOTF - Fields/Lance
    • Best Non QB - Sewell/Pitts (For Example)
    • Trade Back

45 minutes ago, indifference said:

Is there REALLy a big gap between Pitts and Surtain? If Surtain projects as an 10+ year starter in the bloodlines say Patrick Peterson, to me, I say screw it. Pitts is fantastic but im dont draft TEs high personally. Pitts will be a star in the league but Surtain will be too, and plays 1 of most important positions. Just my .02 if ATL is smart they “reach” and ignore the haters. 

Based on what each players  supposed upside is at each position then yes Pitts is that big of a gap as Pitts is considered a generational TE talent.  You just don't see top 5 TE's come out with his measurables and actually be worthy with the production to back it up that everyone agrees he is possibly the BPA in the draft on par with someone like Lawrence.   Surtain isn't even the #1 CB in the draft on some peoples boards where as their is no doubt Pitts is the #1 at his and a better prospect at  TE or even WR than Surtain is at CB.

Also i don't view a #2 CB as that massively important i actually view a great FS as a much more important position and player than a CB. 

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

You're talking about three to five slots--even though a QB would be involved, that's probably about the maximum haul you could hope for. Still a good deal, though. Maybe they'll hook up with Denver. Makes a lot of sense. 

I think something like #4 and #68 for #9, #40, and Denver's 2022 1st round pick would make sense for both teams. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Atlanta won’t be in SB contention in the near future so there’s no reason not to take Fields or Lance.  

But they realistically can't get out of the Matt Ryan contract for 3 years and he's still a good QB. Trading back allows them to address another hole, add more draft capital this year, and likely an additional 1st next year. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I think ATL ends up making the pick at 4, whether that's a QB or not I don't know, because I don't think anyone will give up the price they will want to move down.  I wouldn't want my team paying that price for Trey Lance or Mac Jones.

Man so much is gonna depend on what the 49ers do

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

But they realistically can't get out of the Matt Ryan contract for 3 years and he's still a good QB. Trading back allows them to address another hole, add more draft capital this year, and likely an additional 1st next year. 

That’s a good point.  They could trade him after next season but the savings are minimal. 

11 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Based on what each players  supposed upside is at each position then yes Pitts is that big of a gap as Pitts is considered a generational TE talent.  You just don't see top 5 TE's come out with his measurables and actually be worthy with the production to back it up that everyone agrees he is possibly the BPA in the draft on par with someone like Lawrence.   Surtain isn't even the #1 CB in the draft on some peoples boards where as their is no doubt Pitts is the #1 at his and a better prospect at  TE or even WR than Surtain is at CB.

Also i don't view a #2 CB as that massively important i actually view a great FS as a much more important position and player than a CB. 

Pitts hype reminds me of Vernon Davis. He was a “generational TE” prospect too. I havent seen 1 mock where Surtain isnt the first CB off the board, but if you say so. Personally dont think Oliver or any of the other Falcon DBs are #1 CBs.

15 minutes ago, indifference said:

Pitts hype reminds me of Vernon Davis. He was a “generational TE” prospect too. I havent seen 1 mock where Surtain isnt the first CB off the board, but if you say so. Personally dont think Oliver or any of the other Falcon DBs are #1 CBs.

AJ Terrell was a No. 1 CB last year. And he played damn good too.

3 hours ago, indifference said:

Where as Surtain is my #1 CB in this draft their have been numerous of mocks with Farley going before him.  I personally didn't agree with them but they were out there before his injury stuff and even some nfl analysts had him ranked above Surtain in their rankings.   Again not my beliefs as Surtain was and still is my #1 CB in this draft but Farley was looked at VERY HIGHLY for awhile there.  Horn has always been #3 and ranked in the late teens to 20's though. 

Also Oliver dang sure isn't a #1 CB lol  He's lucky to be a #3 CB at this point although he did play much better in the nickle i feel last year.   Our #1 CB was A.J. Terell who we drafted at 16 last year and he for a rookie was the best rookie CB for the season he got better and better as the year went on we are very happy with him as our CB1.  

I hope we bring back Darquez Denard as our #2 CB he before his injury was playing great as well but thats nothing uncommon Denard always puts up good numbers every year be it Cincy or here. 

Edited by FalconFan13
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Taking Fields, if the 49ers pass on him, would be the best move. 

This confuses me so much i can't understand how taking someone with a top 5 pick who will only see the field for 1 year maybe 2 if your lucky on his rookie contract before you have to give them 35 million a year on a new contract is the best move.  Can you even be that sure he is the future Qb off of 1 good year of play to give them that much and be 100% sure of it?   Ryans contract after the restructure all but guarantees he is here til 2023 and 3+ years  his dead cap space doesn't allow other wise at 40+ mil.   The front office really screwed that up if they wanted a new QB.  They should have never touched Ryans contract to give the new QB the best chance available for the future if thats the route.  They could have easily extended Grady for cap space or restructured Julio instead of ryan to give the new QB a WR like Julio for a few more years. 

Now let me say this as well if we somehow do end up taking a QB where as i don't think it is the right move at 4 Justin Fields is the guy i want of all the QB's after Trevor Lawrence.  Fields is my #2 QB in this draft and i would atleast feel comfortable that we made the best decision on that level for our future.  Still think Fields waiting 3 to 4 years to start would be a bad decision but Ryan is still a top 5 to 7 QB in this league and a very good player so he is for sure going to sit until ryans contract is moveable in 2023 at the earliest.     But Fields is a very talented player and you won't hear me blast the player at all if he is a Falcon i'll just blast the GM that took a QB and resutrctured Ryan in the same offseason.

Edited by FalconFan13

42 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

This confuses me so much i can't understand how taking someone with a top 5 pick who will only see the field for 1 year maybe 2 if your lucky on his rookie contract before you have to give them 35 million a year on a new contract is the best move.  Can you even be that sure he is the future Qb off of 1 good year of play to give them that much and be 100% sure of it?   Ryans contract after the restructure all but guarantees he is here til 2023 and 3+ years  his dead cap space doesn't allow other wise at 40+ mil.   The front office really screwed that up if they wanted a new QB.  They should have never touched Ryans contract to give the new QB the best chance available for the future if thats the route.  They could have easily extended Grady for cap space or restructured Julio instead of ryan to give the new QB a WR like Julio for a few more years. 

Now let me say this as well if we somehow do end up taking a QB where as i don't think it is the right move at 4 Justin Fields is the guy i want of all the QB's after Trevor Lawrence.  Fields is my #2 QB in this draft and i would atleast feel comfortable that we made the best decision on that level for our future.  Still think Fields waiting 3 to 4 years to start would be a bad decision but Ryan is still a top 5 to 7 QB in this league and a very good player so he is for sure going to sit until ryans contract is moveable in 2023 at the earliest.     But Fields is a very talented player and you won't hear me blast the player at all if he is a Falcon i'll just blast the GM that took a QB and resutrctured Ryan in the same offseason.

Nah, he'd start as soon as the Falcons were statisitcally eliminated from the playoffs, so week 11 or 12, then Ryan gets traded after the season regardless of dead cap hit. The Falcons need to blow it up and move on from the Matt Ryan/Julio Jones era. Eat that dead cap like the Eagles are doing with Wentz, and then rebuild that defense over the next 2-3 seasons while Fields develops.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1