Falcons Pick at 4

goldfishwars

Who should they pick?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who should they pick?

• QBOTF - Fields/Lance
    • Best Non QB - Sewell/Pitts (For Example)
    • Trade Back

12 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Nah, he'd start as soon as the Falcons were statisitcally eliminated from the playoffs, so week 11 or 12, then Ryan gets traded after the season regardless of dead cap hit. The Falcons need to blow it up.

You know as well as i do thats not gonna happen lol.  Also theirs no proof we don't make the playoffs the next few years under a different coaching staff.   We literally did it both times under Ryan so far within a year or 2 of bad seasons under the last regime we went straight back to the playoffs and either to the conf. finals or to the superbowl.    If our team was complteley void of talent with no upper tier QB i might agree on this.  But overall the Falcons talent on the team is pretty good overall compared to the rest of the league.   Our offensive talent is in the top 5 as it is almost every year and we actually got legit starters on defense in Grady Jarrett, Debo Jones, Foye Oluyakon, Dante Fowler, and A.J. Terrell.  So where as the defense still needs work their is legit real pro bowl quality talent there to work with and young rookies with pro bowl upside.

If the Falcons draft a OG and a RB  the offense is finished based on things we would actually target and even the OG isn't a must because Matt Gono is a very solid player we can put there if need be.  Even RB isn't a super must either because Mike Davis and Ito Smith are both talented as well although i think we need a true 3 down RB stud to carry the team like Javontae Williams.

But still  after Petrino left  because 4 of the next 5 years  the Falcons went the playoffs and won the divison a few times.

After Mike Smith left Quinn took us to the SB within 2 years and wasn't under .500 again for 3 to 4 years. 

So theirs literal proof that Ryan and a new Regime can make the playoffs next year or be a .500 or better team with Quinn and Koetter not calling plays.  

Also theirs no way a team should ever take on 40 million in dead cap space from a player that is still a top tier player in the league and very usable to the team thats just ignorant for any team to do. 

Edited by FalconFan13

2 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

You know as well as i do thats not gonna happen lol.  Also theirs no proof we don't make the playoffs the next few years under a different coaching staff.   We literally did it both times under Ryan so far within a year or 2 of bad seasons under the last regime we went straight back to the playoffs and either to the conf. finals or to the superbowl.    If our team was complteley void of talent with no upper tier QB i might agree on this.  But overall the Falcons talent on the team is pretty good overall compared to the rest of the league.   Our offensive talent is in the top 5 as it is almost every year and we actually got legit starters on defense in Grady Jarrett, Debo Jones, Foye Oluyakon, Dante Fowler, and A.J. Terrell.  So where as the defense still needs work their is legit real pro bowl quality talent there to work with and young rookies with pro bowl upside.

If the Falcons draft a OG and a RB  the offense is finished based on things we would actually target and even the OG isn't a must because Matt Gono is a very solid player we can put there if need be.  Even RB isn't a super must either because Mike Davis and Ito Smith are both talented as well although i think we need a true 3 down RB stud to carry the team like Javontae Williams.

But still  after Petrino left  the very next 4 of the next 5 years  the Falcons went the playoffs and won the divison a few times.

After Mike Smith left Quinn took us to the SB within 2 years and wasn't under .500 again for 3 to 4 years. 

So theirs literal proof that Ryan and a new Regime can make the playoffs next year or be a .500 or better team with Quinn and Koetter not calling plays.  

Also theirs no way a team should ever take on 40 million in dead cap space from a player that is still a top tier player in the league and very usable to the team thats just ignorant for any team to do. 

of course not, but this is asking what they should do. Dude, your defense sucks. The Falcons are a watered down version of the Cowboys. A worse version of the Cowboys offense, and an equally bad defense. I'd be shocked if they made the playoffs.

Edited by Jeezla

Just now, Jeezla said:

of course not, but this is asking what they should do.

You know what thats fair my guy i'll give you that one lol.  But i still don't agree with that at all as i think thats exactly what they shouldn't do based on what i know of the team and how we are setup :) 

Now i would have said thats possibly what we should do if our new GM didn't already restructure ryan i would be much more open to it.   I would still do the trade down as my #1 choice in all situations as the best course of action with or without a Ryan restructure.  But drafting a QB and preferably Fields at 4 would have been my #2 option after a trade down if we never restructured Ryan and had a smart plan in place to move on from his cap hit next offseason which now we can't.

3 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

You know what thats fair my guy i'll give you that one lol.  But i still don't agree with that at all as i think thats exactly what they shouldn't do based on what i know of the team and how we are setup :) 

Now i would have said thats possibly what we should do if our new GM didn't already restructure ryan i would be much more open to it.   I would still do the trade down as my #1 choice in all situations as the best course of action with or without a Ryan restructure.  But drafting a QB and preferably Fields at 4 would have been my #2 option after a trade down if we never restructured Ryan and had a smart plan in place to move on from his cap hit next offseason which now we can't.

I just think you can't bank on eventually getting another top 4 pick. Strike while the iron is hot. Matt Ryan will never win a SB, but he's good enough to always screw up your draft pick, so get the top 5 pick QB while you can. And then eat that dead cap and move on from Matt Ryan next year. Don't handcuff yourself to matt ryan for the next 2-3 years just because you f'd up and gave him a bad contract this year.

Edited by Jeezla

Just now, Jeezla said:

I just think you can't bank on eventually getting another top 4 pick. Strike while the iron is hot. Matt Ryan will never win a SB, but he's good enough to always screw up your draft pick, so get the top 5 pick QB while you can.

I actually hate the idea of taking a top 5 QB as i think QB's are way over drafted because of the position and not the talent.  I much prefer to target a QB in the mid to late 1st round that gets drafted where i think he should be.   I actually did a list of current nfl starting QB.s drafted inside the top 10 vs 10th and later and the 10th and later group was much better than the top 5 group and to me thats because teams reached for QB's not worthy of the top 9 picks they gave them just because they needed one.    I do understand the QB position is the most important position in sports but i don't agree you have to target one not worth the pick just because you need it.   I personally don't have any of the QB's in this draft in the top 5 as far as BPA outside of Lawrence.    Fields i have around 7 to 10  Wilson around 10 to 15 and   Mac + Lawrence outside the top 15.   Compared to other players at different positions that i think are better players at their positions.  

So to me im more than ok with waiting on a QB and even more so stock piling picks to move up for or even more so target your exact Qb you want in the next 3 years instead of reaching on one not in the top 5.   If i can find the lists i'll show you the 2 of top 9 vs 10 or later.

Just now, Heinz D. said:

Yup. 

It's gonna take a good team around him to do it though and to me the more early picks you can put around him the better chance you get.    But to me even if you move on from Ryan in 2 years all these early round talent picks now from a trade down gives the new rookie QB when you draft it after Ryan a MUCH BETTER CHANCE at succeeding and then you got 5 more years of cheap contract QB to add FA players to those young draft picks.

Just now, Heinz D. said:
16 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Ryan is more than good enough as a QB to lead us to a SB still for the next 5 to 6 years.

Yup. 

Yea, I'm sure Matt Ryan will be the only other outlier QB besides Tom Brady and Peyton Manning to play well at age 36+. He's definitely in that same tier of QB's, and will be contending for SB's at age 41.

2 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Yea, I'm sure Matt Ryan will be the only other outlier QB besides Tom Brady and Peyton Manning to play well at age 36+. He's definitely in that same tier of QB's, and will be contending for SB's at age 41.

Why can't he the dude has never had any serious injuries and literally plays the game with his brain instead of athletic abilities.   His arm is fine and he's never been super mobile lol.  If any QB can do it i would say it's a QB like ryan who is built for exactly that type of game where he uses his accuracy and timing over a big arm and legs.   Also if anything Ryan is about the closest to QB type you will find in the nfl to a Peyton Manning over the last 10+ years. 

Edited by FalconFan13

2 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Why can't he the dude has never had any serious injuries and literally plays the game with his brain instead of athletic abilities.   His arm is fine and he's never been super mobile lol.  If any QB can do it i would say it's a QB like ryan who is built for exactly that type of game where he uses his accuracy and timing over a big arm and legs.  

Because he's human/not Tom brady. And Matt Ryan's team isn't good.

Edited by Jeezla

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

Because he's human.

So were Brady, Manning, and Brees.  Aaron Rodgers just won MVP at 37 i think he will be fine til 40 as well.   QB's now are much better protected and more well taken care of on the medical side and prepared than years past.  I think 40 year old QB's are gonna start to be pretty common in the softer nfl and the babying of the QB position.  Brees didn't really fall off til 42 and he is a much smaller guy than most of those QB's so the hits he takes were probably worse over the years on his body but still lasted til 42.

Edited by FalconFan13

7 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

So were Brady, Manning, and Brees.  Aaron Rodgers just won MVP at 37 i think he will be fine til 40 as well.   QB's now are much better protected and more well taken care of on the medical side and prepared than years past.  I think 40 year old QB's are gonna start to be pretty common in the softer nfl and the babying of the QB position.

You just named 4 QB's that are in a totally different tier of player than Matt Ryan. Those guys at 80% are still better than Matt Ryan. And only 1 of them has played well at age 40. And he's the GOAT. And you assume that will be the norm going forward? Happened once in the history of the league, but it will now be normal?

Edited by Jeezla

5 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

You just named 4 QB's that are in a totally different tier of player than Matt Ryan. Those guys at 80% are still better than Matt Ryan. 

Can't say i agree with that and think you are highly undervaluing matt ryan as a player.  Ryan has won an MVP and has a very good chance at catching or passing those guys in some categories.   Brees specifically to me wasn't worlds better than Ryan as a QB and over the last 5 or 6 years Rodgers wasn't either. Although Rodgers at his absolute peak is probably the best ever.    Brady and Manning are no doubt goats and Ryan might not ever be compared to them Brady for damn sure he won't be.  But Ryan is no slouch either he has been a top 5 nfl QB for quite awhile of his career and puts up very comparable number to those elite guys over his time in the nfl without a O-line or defense that was comparable to a few of those guys. 

At Ryans pace right now at age 35 if he played til 42  Brees age  and avg'd only 3600 yards a season which is REALLY LOW over those 7 years compared to his normal seasons he at age 42 will become the nfl leader in passing yards based on what they are right now with brees at  80,358.      If Ryan can even put up his career avg of 4600 he will pass Brady as Brady sits right now by the age of 40 and be at almost 80,000 yards.   

Edited by FalconFan13

10 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Can't say i agree with that and think you are highly undervaluing matt ryan as a player.  Ryan has won an MVP and has a very good chance at catching or passing those guys in some categories.   Brees specifically to me wasn't worlds better than Ryan as a QB and over the last 5 or 6 years Rodgers wasn't either. Although Rodgers at his absolute peak is probably the best ever.    Brady and Manning are no doubt goats and Ryan might not ever be compared to them Brady for damn sure he won't be.  But Ryan is no slouch either he has been a top 5 nfl QB for quite awhile of his career and puts up very comparable number to those elite guys over his time in the nfl without a O-line or defense that was comparable to a few of those guys. 

Matt Ryan has also missed the playoffs the last 2 years in a row, and his team is arguably even worse after losing both safeties. Ryan is no slouch, but he's going to age quickly, because of his OL and defense.

Could Matt Ryan lead a team to the SB? Yes, but not the team he's on now. And it's a 90% chance he declines over the next 3 years, rather than stays the same.

Edited by Jeezla

19 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Matt Ryan has also missed the playoffs the last 2 years in a row, and his team is arguably even worse after losing both safeties. Ryan is no slouch, but he's going to age quickly, because of his OL and defense.

Could Matt Ryan lead a team to the SB? Yes, but not the team he's on now. And it's a 90% chance he declines over the next 3 years, rather than stays the same.

The one thing we agree with is the not on the team he is now but that can be fixed with more players thats talented and younger  added and by removing some over paid players which we started doing this year.   How do you do that by picking up more young early round players in the draft with huge upside.  Which brings me back around to  TRADE DOWN BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Also theirs atleast some good upside on the O-line    Jake Matthews is a very good LT,  Chris Lindstrom was ranked as a top 5 RG last year on PFF,  Kaleb Mcgary showed good upside at RT and is in his 2nd or 3rd year,  We drafted Matt hennesey last year to take over for Alex Mack  so were atleast setup for success on the O-line as best as you can be for the next 5 years with you and proven vets.  Still need to look at Lg possibly but i hope Matt Gono a huge fan favorite finally gets the position he has outplayed alot of our O-line guys over the years when he actually gets put in the game lol.   Thats one of the biggest falcon mysteries for awhile now is why he doesn't get alot more playing time.   I think every nfl team has a guy like that though that performs great and the fans love but the coaching staffs never give the time of day until injuries. 

Edited by FalconFan13