Falcons Pick at 4

goldfishwars

Who should they pick?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who should they pick?

• QBOTF - Fields/Lance
    • Best Non QB - Sewell/Pitts (For Example)
    • Trade Back

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Maybe the Falcons should finally invest heavily into their defense so that they can still win in the playoffs with Matt Ryan.

Let's says rebuilding the defense takes 2 years. By then Matt will be 38. How long is the window to win open? 

Why not just take a franchise QB now  and if he pans out you have the most important position by far lockdown for the next 15+ years?

The chance to be in position to draft a franchise QB doesn't come around all that often. You either have to really suck or trade a ton of assets to trade up and get one. 

You can still use picks 2-7 to build the defense for this season, which the chances of ATL doing anything in are minimal regardless of what direction they go in.

1 hour ago, JJ6 said:

How many QBs have played at a top 5 level over the age of 38? Brees and Brady? 

You guys are highly underestimating the decline of play historically from age 38+. 

Ryan is a good QB but he isn't even a top 5 QB right now. 

Brees and Brady, two QBs who like Ryan didn't win with arm strength and mobility, but with intelligence and accuracy. Ryan could still be great at 41. He could be better with a coach that actually knows what to do on offense too.

2 minutes ago, JJ6 said:

Let's says rebuilding the defense takes 2 years. By then Matt will be 38. How long is the window to win open? 

Why not just take a franchise QB now  and if he pans out you have the most important position by far lockdown for the next 15+ years?

The chance to be in position to draft a franchise QB doesn't come around all that often. You either have to really suck or trade a ton of assets to trade up and get one. 

You can still use picks 2-7 to build the defense for this season, which the chances of ATL doing anything in are minimal regardless of what direction they go in.

We don't know. I get wanting to take a QB now, but if Pitts is the best player on the board, you have to take him. 

14 minutes ago, JJ6 said:

True, Im mostly saying all of this because Im secretly hoping Denver trades #9 + whatever else to move up to #4 for Fields lol

The Falcons being able to go from Mike Vick to Matt Ryan to Justin Fields isnt fair :)

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

Brees and Brady, two QBs who like Ryan didn't win with arm strength and mobility, but with intelligence and accuracy. Ryan could still be great at 41. He could be better with a coach that actually knows what to do on offense too.

We don't know. I get wanting to take a QB now, but if Pitts is the best player on the board, you have to take him. 

Ryan isn't Brees or Brady. 

Also how much better off would the Saints have been if they drafted Lamar Jackson when they had a chance? Not only would they have been a better team over the last two years but their window to win would be open for another 10+. 

The chances of Ryan declining over the next 3+ years is extremely high. He already isn't a top 5 QB, more in that 8-12 range. 

As for drafting Pitts, I genuinely don't understand the logic behind it. Sure he might be BPA but the teams offensive weapons are already it's strongest suit.

The oline has question marks at LG, C and RT (although I think AS should have them performing at a much higher level. The defense is in complete shambles. LB core is good but we have 1 good corner in the secondary and 1 good pass rusher on the dline. 

If you want any chance to win with Matt while he's still a top 10 QB you HAVE to turn the defense around quick and make sure that oline is a top 10 unit. 

Drafting Pitts doesn't come close to helping any of those groups. 

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

True, Im mostly saying all of this because Im secretly hoping Denver trades #9 + whatever else to move up to #4 for Fields lol

#9 + Chubb and we have a deal lol

6 hours ago, JJ6 said:

How many QBs have played at a top 5 level over the age of 38? Brees and Brady? 

You guys are highly underestimating the decline of play historically from age 38+. 

Ryan is a good QB but he isn't even a top 5 QB right now. 

Thats your opinion i believe he can play well into his early 40's with his game and play style.  You also can't put the QB's playing right now on the same level as the ones of the past.  The QB position and the game in general is MUCH DIFFERENT when it comes to protecting them.  That and the medical part of it with the way players can take care of themselves is astronomically better than in the past.    Ryan to me in the right scheme can still easily be top 5  Aaron Rodgers wouldn't be be top 5 under Dirk fricken Koetter XD

You will see QB's lasting much longer going forward and even more so the ones that aren't crazy mobile and don't take alot of hits which Ryan has been healthy the majority of his career he gets down pretty quickly instead of taking big hits.

Overall you on your own with this one my guy theirs not many of us on that boat with you as Falcon fans that want to take a top 5 pick and use it on a QB.   Although if we do somehow do it then it's gotta be Fields i dang sure wouldn't use i on Lance or Jones.

Also i don't think any QB in this entire draft is worthy of a top 5 pick outside of Trevor Lawrence so i absolutely hate and despise the idea of over drafting a player just because he plays the QB position.  If we take a QB in the 1st it should be after a trade down and then we target him where his value is better and correct than reaching on him over a more talented player at 4.   Thats why bad teams stay bad is because they force themselves to take lesser talented QB's in the top 5 when they know damn well their not worth it but you have to have a QB so they do it anyways.   The more successful teams with good QB's have more come from the teams taking the QB from 10 or later and not reaching on them than the top 5.     If we were at 1 and Trevor Lawrence was there i would be all for taking him at 1 because he is worth it.  Fields and Wilson im ok taking in the 8 to 12 range if they are BPA still there  and Lance + Mac im fine taking at 15 to 20.  Before then i wouldn't touch either of them as prospects coming out over the other 3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Thats your opinion i believe he can play well into his early 40's with his game and play style.  You also can't put the QB's playing right now on the same level as the ones of the past.  The QB position and the game in general is MUCH DIFFERENT when it comes to protecting them.  That and the medical part of it with the way players can take care of themselves is astronomically better than in the past.    Ryan to me in the right scheme can still easily be top 5  Aaron Rodgers wouldn't be be top 5 under Dirk fricken Koetter XD

You will see QB's lasting much longer going forward and even more so the ones that aren't crazy mobile and don't take alot of hits which Ryan has been healthy the majority of his career he gets down pretty quickly instead of taking big hits.

Are QB's getting sacked less compared to 10 years ago?

Can I see your doctorate? And the notes for the science experiment you conducted on QB longevity?

Have you ever considered you're just a homer, living on a prayer?

Edited by Jeezla

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Why would it take 2 years to rebuild the defense?

A good draft and they could be good enough to compete with the Falcons offense.

They don’t need to be dominant, they need to be average.

Name the last average defense to win a SB

4 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Name the last average defense to win a SB

An average defense gets the Falcons competing for the playoffs.

If moves are judged by whether you win a Super Bowl any given year 99% of them are failures.

Edited by WindyCity

Just now, Jeezla said:

Or it just gets them 7-10 or 8-9.

A rookie QB sitting behind Ryan and a crap defense guarantees them 7-10.

They may never have a QB as good as Ryan or a WR as good as Julio ever again. You need to give it one more shot.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1