CW21's Packers Mock Draft v2018.01

CWood21

Just now, TheOnlyThing said:

If, as head coach Mike McCarthy declared on January 26, 2017 "Dom Capers is an outstanding football coach, that doesn’t change," why would Capers be in line for a firing just 1 year later? 

What exactly were you expecting him to say?  Yeah, Dom's a mediocre DC but I'm going to him anyways?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

What exactly were you expecting him to say?  Yeah, Dom's a mediocre DC but I'm going to him anyways?

If Mike McCarthy truly believes Dom is an outstanding football coach, I'd expect MM to emphatically proclaim that Dom is an outstanding football coach precisely as he did during his season ending press conference just 9 months ago. 

Conversely, If MM does not actually believe Dom is an outstanding football coach but rather considers him to be nothing more than "a mediocre DC," then his entrustment of the D to Dom would be both confounding and problematic. In other words, why would MM possibly keep a defensive coordinator who he did not think was outstanding?

Hence, barring a defensive collapse greater than those we've seen so often in GB's recent past, I'm pretty confident MM will not fire his "outstanding" DC after this season.  

17 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

If Mike McCarthy truly believes Dom is an outstanding football coach, I'd expect MM to emphatically proclaim that Dom is an outstanding football coach precisely as he did during his season ending press conference just 9 months ago. 

Conversely, If MM does not actually believe Dom is an outstanding football coach but rather considers him to be nothing more than "a mediocre DC," then his entrustment of the D to Dom would be both confounding and problematic. In other words, why would MM possibly keep a defensive coordinator who he did not think was outstanding?

Hence, barring a defensive collapse greater than those we've seen so often in GB's recent past, I'm pretty confident MM will not fire his "outstanding" DC after this season.  

You're taking his comments entirely too literally.  He said the same thing about Slocum, and they canned him.  If you're going to take what he says to the media, he could probably sell you something good.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

You're taking his comments entirely too literally.  He said the same thing about Slocum, and they canned him.  If you're going to take what he says to the media, he could probably sell you something good.

Did Mike McCarthy really call Shawn Slocum an outstanding football coach just a year before he canned him? Would love to see that citation.

And MM did indeed can Slocum ... after 9 years on his staff and only after Slocum coordinated some truly bottom feeder units over several years. Who knows, if the STs propensity for ineptitude had not been on display for everyone to see in the NFC Championship game in Seattle, Shawn might still be STs coordinator. 

As for Dom, his defense has only fallen to Slocum-like performances (29th, 31st and 32nd) once during his tenure and that was way back in 2011.

Applying the Slocum example, Dom has multiple years of poor performance to go before he is in any danger with MM and the defense has not been playing anywhere nearly as badly as that in 2017.

I think some are unwilling to accept that Mike McCarthy truly believes that Dom Capers is an outstanding football coach and that is why MM has made Dom the longest-tenured defensive coordinator in the NFL by a full 3 years.

13 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Did Mike McCarthy really call Shawn Slocum an outstanding football coach just a year before he canned him? Would love to see that citation.

Again, you're taking things entirely too literally.  He voiced his support for Slocum for several seasons before letting him go.  IF the defense falters, there's little doubt that McCarthy will entertain the idea of firing him.  It's not like Capers was his mentor anything.

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Again, you're taking things entirely too literally.  He voiced his support for Slocum for several seasons before letting him go.  IF the defense falters, there's little doubt that McCarthy will entertain the idea of firing him.  It's not like Capers was his mentor anything.

Not only this, but Mac thinking Dom is an outstanding coach and firing him are not mutually exclusive. 

It doesn't necessarily mean he thinks he is a bad coach, just time for a change. 

40 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Really have no interest in losing Trg, Moss, Perry and Whitt. If we fire Dom, one of them is the DC, not Bowles or some other teams guy.

I'm really interested in this view point. If Dom performs bad enough to be fired, what inspires confidence in any of the defensive staff?

It seems like it would be a total defensive team failure. 

I'm not sure any of them would be entitled to keep their job unless its you think its a TT failure.

And I'm not saying you hold these views, just curious about the logical extension of this argument

1 minute ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I'm really interested in this view point. If Dom performs bad enough to be fired, what inspires confidence in any of the defensive staff?

It seems like it would be a total defensive team failure. 

I'm not sure any of them would be entitled to keep their job unless its you think its a TT failure.

And I'm not saying you hold these views, just curious about the logical extension of this argument

Those 4 are widely respected, and have all developed plenty of talent. I would put health first, TT second, and Dom third if I had to lay defensive blame. 

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Those 4 are widely respected, and have all developed plenty of talent. I would put health first, TT second, and Dom third if I had to lay defensive blame. 

I tend to agree with you on all the points. Definitely health is first. I don't think TT is a bad talent evaluator and I don't think Dom is bad coach. I think, if there is a problem, that there is an internal clash of philosophies between the two. Obviously not an up front dispute, but just an overall philosophy clash.

Dom needs veterans that can run, TT wants cheap rookies that can run. Both make sense, but they may not work together. 

On 10/19/2017 at 9:36 AM, Packerraymond said:

7-9 would put us going 3-8 without Rodgers. Why would anyone give up a thing for a QB that led this roster to that record?

Hundley will either be traded for a 1st/high 2 or he'll be a Packer until FA. He's more valuable as a backup than a mid 3rd.

I'm not sure record is the best indicator of determining how much value Hundley has.  I believe that he'll post respectable numbers (think Carson Palmer-ish), I just think that the lack of wins comes from our defenses inability to make plays when needed.

47 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure record is the best indicator of determining how much value Hundley has.  I believe that he'll post respectable numbers (think Carson Palmer-ish), I just think that the lack of wins comes from our defenses inability to make plays when needed.

Which would likely be the Achilles heel for this team with Rodgers.  Rodgers expands the margin of error, without him some more players need to step up and make some plays.

Daniels

Clay

Perry

Burnett (when healthy)

Clinton-Dix 

Those are the top 5 players on D.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If he plays as well as Palmer and we go 3-8, send Ted out the door with Dom.

Archived