Joe Cullen announces 3-4 base defense

.Buzz

6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Interesting, dont know much about the scheme. Does the announced change make us change our draft plans much? Increase our chances of LB or DL? Does Barmore fit a 3-4 better? I know we signed alot of DL guys

Nope. It was widely assumed we were gonna be a 3-4 when we hired cullen after some looking at who we brought in. 

Barmore fits more of an end. only thing we need are some edges/olbs

On 4/13/2021 at 9:46 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Interesting, dont know much about the scheme. Does the announced change make us change our draft plans much? Increase our chances of LB or DL? Does Barmore fit a 3-4 better? I know we signed alot of DL guys

Honestly...the "clarification" doesn't mean a whole lot, compared to just looking at the Baltimore defenses he's been a part of, and assuming it'll probably look an awful lot like that (if the personnel are there to run it).  But also...we could see some completely different and novel wrinkles to that (if the personnel are there and specialized in certain ways to run that).

So really...no.  Doubt it changes much of anything from the day we knew Urban was taking over.  It's still more or less the same expectation of scheme, and the plans in the draft were always expected to follow on from that.

And a guy like Barmore...he seems plenty versatile, schematically.  That's one of his stronger points i'd say.  As a guy who can potential play a handful of different roles and assignments, depending on the defense or even the particular package.

Which is where this announcement and the "change" to a 3-4 is a lot less meaningful than it once was.  Because as Cullen suggests there...they'll be using a lot of mixed and hybrid looks anyway, just like the majority of the league at this point.  By the time you throw in nickel sub package snaps and how prevalent they've become, and how defenses align in those situations...it's hard to even really point at any team today that's a "strict 4-3 or 3-4" and not flavoured with a bunch of something else, with multiple looks or shifted alignments, etc.

The whole, "Attacking, multiple looks" is the key takeaway there.  In my estimation at least.  That to me, suggests something more meaningful about the approach...where it's going to be less of the, "line 'em up and watch 'em go" of the previous regime (despite incorporating some 3-4 looks and a lot of hybridization in general).  This sounds more like a, "line 'em up and try to figure out where they're going on any given snap" sort of scheme.

I'm expecting a boatload of exotic looks, but i also expect that with a new staff coming in top-to-bottom, and trying to really build a new team...it may take a while to get there.  Though bringing in experienced veteran depth like they have, is surely part of trying to get there sooner.  Because these type of defenses tend to be...more complicated, by nature.

I'm kind of less enthused on Barmore tbh. I'd still be cool with him, but he's no longer topping my board anymore.

Them targeting interior DL like crazy makes me think they aren't too high on the guys in the draft either.

12 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I'm kind of less enthused on Barmore tbh. I'd still be cool with him, but he's no longer topping my board anymore.

Them targeting interior DL like crazy makes me think they aren't too high on the guys in the draft either.

Honestly, yeah...i hope that's what them stocking up with veteran depth means.  I'm not that high on Barmore, and this DL class in general just feels pretty weak.  Never really good to be mining a weak position in a draft out of "need".  Better to just bring in some stopgap vets, let some guys in-house see if the scheme change helps them, and look at projects later.  I mean, ideally, we'd grab an impact DL guy early.  But if they're not there, you can't manufacture them out of thin air.  And i'm still not really sold on Barmore as more than just, "pretty solid" upside.  Just looking at the various 1st/2nd round DL guys to come out of Alabama in recent years...Barmore is toward the tail end of that group for me.  But probably going to be pushed up some boards because...it seems like most boards have it as a bit of a desert at the top end of that position.

Some interesting edge rushers though, and DBs, and LBers.  Plenty of other piles to mine to improve and hopefully get some impact players on this defense.

But at the same time, it feels like a pretty offense-heavy draft.  And just gunning up either on the OLine or in terms of skill positions to surround Lawrence, really doesn't sound unappealing to me.  Especially if that's where the value is.

11 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Sounds like they told Josh he'll be standing up as we all expected.

Yeah.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some snaps here and there with his hand in the dirt, but for the most part...it would be kind of asinine to do anything else with him, other than have him mostly standing up.  Especially with the coverage ability he showed in college.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 12:31 PM, pwny said:

Here's the video of Urban Meyer talking about the benefits of the 3-4, for those who haven't seen it or want a refresher.

I can only get so excited! I truly look forward to the change. Seeing the talent of Chassion and Josh Allen maximized to the scheme that fits them and no longer trying to have them just fit to our scheme. 

• Like 1