No Early QB Mock 2021

Madmike90

37 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Honestly I’m not convinced we will, as much as we should. Pace and Nagy need to add guys to contribute in 2021 early in the draft. Unless they’re cutting Leno (many of you would do so right now in a cocaine heartbeat, but Pace won’t), I don’t see a place for a 1st round rookie OT. Where’s he starting? Leatherwood or Jenkins or a few others are all in that range and should start if they’re the pick, but Pace just gave Ifedi $4.25M on a 1-year deal in a cap space strapped offseason while cutting a really good player in Kyle Fuller as a direct consequence of that financial allocation. That suggests to me they’re expecting Ifedi to start somewhere, and I don’t see an opening on the interior OL now with Daniels and Whitehair presumed starting around Mustipher.

A first round OT is the move they should make. It doesn’t seem to me like it’s the one they will make. 

Pace signed Idefi to a small one-year deal and he showed enough last year to earn at least a 1/4M deal.  Lets not kid ourselves lol. Most of us didn't expect much from him and he far exceeded our expectations and I gotta believe the FO seen it the same way which is why they only gave him a 1yr deal at 4M.  Basically saying to Idefi "that was a good year, but I don't believe it was sustainable".  I don't think they're necessarily penciling in Ifedi to be starter at RT (at least not to the point of ruling out a replacement in the draft or post-draft signee).

I think their keeping Ifedi as a reliable "fall-back" at RT as a starter just in case they can't find a better replacement AND as a backup RG in case Daniels gets hurt again &/or if Mustipher shows that 2020 was just a fluke and they have to move Whitehair back to Center and Daniels back to LG. 

All in all, I think they're relying more on his versatility than anything else at this point. This is why coaches love versatile OL players.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think if we draft Leatherwood we cut Leno to pay for the draft class and he is a day one starter given his experience...drafting a CB in round 1 would be a very Pace like thing to do...it would also instantly get every fan up in arms that it wasn't an offensive player...has to be a QB/OT/WR IMO.

I'm sure everyone knows at this point that I've been a bigger supporter of Pace than most have, but if he goes CB in R1 then he will have one more fan aiming for his head.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Clear?

To us, yeah, the need is clear. With Pace? There might be a good cornerback just waiting there, having fallen all the way to #20. 

The lack of clarity of any of this offseason is why it seems best to just let it unfold.  Without knowing the plan, if there even is one, how does anyone make intelligent comments.  We don't even know whether or not Pace and Nagy are under the gun with pressure to win now or if they've been assured their collaboration will continue for the foreseeable future. 

We can make a good case for either one.

As it stands I just see another year of mediocrity and a .500 record although with a 17th game I suppose even that can mean 9-8 or 8-9.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, soulman said:

The lack of clarity of any of this offseason is why it seems best to just let it unfold.  Without knowing the plan, if there even is one, how does anyone make intelligent comments.  We don't even know whether or not Pace and Nagy are under the gun with pressure to win now or if they've been assured their collaboration will continue for the foreseeable future.  We can make a good case for either one.

As it stands I just see another year of mediocrity and a .500 record although with a 17th game I suppose even that can mean 9-8 or 8-9.

I'm still holding onto hope that McCaskey is FINALLY making a good decision.

IMO. As it stands, RIGHT NOW, the defense is going to take a major step back and god knows we cannot rely on the offense to carry this team.  Alot needs to happen in the next 4 months to change my opinion.

Releasing your best CB at time like this when your defense is your only lifeline at this point without getting ANYTHING out it?!  That's still just crazy to me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I'm still holding onto hope that McCaskey is FINALLY making a good decision.

Yeah, and I'm still holding onto hope that my ex-wife will admit that she basically sabotaged our marriage so she could marry her current husband. 

In all honestly we may both be dead and buried before either happens.  😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I will just be surprised if after George McCasket spent 10 minutes at an end of season press conference talking about the QB position that the only answer is Andy Dalton.

I just don't feel we have the ammo to get a quality QB option in this draft...too many QB needy teams at the top of the class...could easily see the top 5 guys going in the top 10 picks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I just don't feel we have the ammo to get a quality QB option in this draft...too many QB needy teams at the top of the class...could easily see the top 5 guys going in the top 10 picks.

They may not be able to get a top QB.

But some insurance is better than no insurance.

I cannot see them riding or dying with Andy Dalton.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Top 3 picks will seemingly all be QBs but I’m still having a hard time wrapping my head around some of those teams later in the top 10 passing over elite prospects at premium positions (talking any of the top 3 WR, Pitts, Sewell and Slater and Surtain) where they also have big needs to take QB4 or QB5, much like I have a hard time seeing teams give up a kings ransom to move up from the teens to 4 or 5 to get QB4 or QB5. That kind of trade will define a GM’s career - to make it for a guy who isn’t even the third best QB in his class in the eyes of some? I’ll believe it when I see it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Top 3 picks will seemingly all be QBs but I’m still having a hard time wrapping my head around some of those teams later in the top 10 passing over elite prospects at premium positions (talking any of the top 3 WR, Pitts, Sewell and Slater and Surtain) where they also have big needs to take QB4 or QB5, much like I have a hard time seeing teams give up a kings ransom to move up from the teens to 4 or 5 to get QB4 or QB5. That kind of trade will define a GM’s career - to make it for a guy who isn’t even the third best QB in his class in the eyes of some? I’ll believe it when I see it. 

I think QB boards are that diverse.

Many would argue if you can land Fields you are landing the 2nd best QB in the draft. I think people are realizing that if you do not have a QB you are dead before the season starts and the desperation sets in accordingly.

If the Bears start the season with Andy Dalton they have a 0.0% chance of winning anything. If the have Justin Fields it is higher than 0% in my estimation.

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

There's always lots of hype and over hyped players names being bandied about in the last few weeks prior to the draft and then of course the same gurus and media spout offs express shock that so and so fell so far or out of round one entirely.  Banked against this are all of the smoke screens GMs are laying to disguise their true intentions which is why this whole deal has become far less exciting to me than the NFL promotes it as.

As for the Bears the only offseason acquisition that may have produced a significant change is Wilson and from what we can see now it's just not gonna happen or at least the odds of it happening make it a long shot.  I agree with you that's it's also unlikely we have the ammo to trade up to the top five and in any case I would not even try.  For far too long Pace has ignored building an offense around a top OL and maybe that should be his real focus.

The only thing that sparks this season is if a rookie QB comes in and clicks.

The Bears are a .500 team with Dalton.

If they can land the next Dak or Carr outside of round 1 they could be better than that and have real hope.

I expect they will take a swing at that scenario.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 1:38 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

I'm sure everyone knows at this point that I've been a bigger supporter of Pace than most have, but if he goes CB in R1 then he will have one more fan aiming for his head.

I think this is a real possibility though, and can absolutely see a scenario in which it's Pace's best move, and can also absolutely see the hate on Facebook and twitter.

I would be disappointed that we're not fixing the giant offensive personnel issues, but can picture a scenario in which he can't trade up, no one wants to help him trade back, there's no QB, OT, WR talent, but say Patrick Sertain falls to 20?  He'd kind of have to take a blue chip prospect there. 

It would be upsetting but not sure it wouldn't be the right move if that occurred. 

If you really want to imagine something dark, picture him taking a SS or something. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I would be disappointed that we're not fixing the giant offensive personnel issues, but can picture a scenario in which he can't trade up, no one wants to help him trade back, there's no QB, OT, WR talent, but say Patrick Sertain falls to 20?  He'd kind of have to take a blue chip prospect there. 

Except in this draft there is basically no scenario in which there is no OT or WR talent at #20. 

We'll see what he does. 

IMHO we've regressed to that point where virtually anyone Pace adds in round one and on day two will offer some improvement to the roster.

We already know that more often than not he'll select a far better player (or one he believes is far better) over strict need in the early rounds so I wouldn't be shocked if he took a CB in round one.  If the best or second best CB falls to you vs taking the fourth best WR or OT fans may go nuts initially but it's not an insane pick.

To believe that without having massively upgraded QB that anything else can bring more an incremental change is to end up disappointed. 

JMHO

• Like 1