News/Info on current WFT Players

ARTMONK HOF

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I have to admit- I went "Who" when I read this . I had to research who he is and how he got here. I didn't remember the name . He did have one good season at Indy ! I wonder what happened to his career with them. 

I wondered the same thing. Don’t know what happened there but He looked good when he was with them. If he’s anything like that 🤞would be very nice!

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

I wanted to address these:

At the same time, one had multiple 1,000 yard seasons and one hasn't. Barber's best season as a pro would've been Miller's 6th ranked season (he only had 2 worse than that - 3 if you count 2020 when he didn't play).

Do we have the luxury of a one trick pony right now? If...and that is a big IF...Miller can return to form (or 80% of it), I think he's more valuable than Barber.

But the elephant in the room is that ACL. And that gives me BIG pause.

I get what you're saying and part of me agrees with you. This is why I'm on the fence right now with both of them.

You and @RSkinGM are correct.  Miller is likely the best every down back on the roster.  I just don't see that is something Rivera likes.  He is a running back by committee guy.  Miller has certainly accomplished quite a bit.  But I guess I am in the camp of Miller will be coming into his 9th nfl season.  He is a running back.  Running back + 8 seasons = end of career.  

I guess for your argument, maybe holding Miller instead of Barber lets them thin out the numbers of backup running backs needed on roster cause he can do everything.  I just don't get cutting a guy on the cheap who did his job perfectly.  

• Like 2

On 7/21/2021 at 10:05 AM, Thaiphoon said:

As much as I would love to see what we have in Patterson, if Miller is back completely from his injury, I think Jaret goes on the PS (barring us keeping a 5th RB).

I'd love to keep Miller (again if he is healthy and shows out) and trade Barber, but that's probably not gonna happen.

I doubt we can trade Barber. If Miller is healthy and shows well in the preseason teams will probably know Barber could get cut plus, Barber is a dime a dozen type player. He’s a good back up utility type RB & special teams player who can do everything but can’t do anything at a high level. I doubt teams would trade for that when usually you can find that player easily as a young RB who’s undrafted or whatever.  

23 hours ago, offbyone said:

You and @RSkinGM are correct.  Miller is likely the best every down back on the roster.  I just don't see that is something Rivera likes.  He is a running back by committee guy.  Miller has certainly accomplished quite a bit.  But I guess I am in the camp of Miller will be coming into his 9th nfl season.  He is a running back.  Running back + 8 seasons = end of career.  

I guess for your argument, maybe holding Miller instead of Barber lets them thin out the numbers of backup running backs needed on roster cause he can do everything.  I just don't get cutting a guy on the cheap who did his job perfectly.  

I don’t see Rivera as a running back by committee guy, they drafted Christian McCaffrey in Carolina and he was an every down back. If Gibson ever develops into a better blocker - which hopefully he will this year - then he would be the best every down RB on the roster and it wouldn’t surprise me if Gibson becomes an every down back and McKissic’s snaps are greatly affected. 

I’d still expect McKissic to get snaps on 3rd downs some, but I’d expect Gibson to get some also which will cut into McKissic’s snap count. 

Yeah, I don’t see Barber being cut. He’s a good short yardage back for us and a good special teams guy. To my knowledge Miller isn’t that type of player. I think in order for Miller to make the team he’s going to have to first show he’s 100% and similar to the back he used to be a few years ago before he tore his ACL and he’s going to have to prove himself on special teams. At this point I’d say Barber has the edge.

Edited by turtle28

On 7/21/2021 at 10:09 AM, Thaiphoon said:

TBH, I think I might be okay if we just trade him now for a 2nd rounder in 2022. Instead of watching him walk and then only getting a 'possible' 3rd in 2023.

I realize we're gunning for the division and that gives me pause in that analysis (and why I'm probably on the fence about trading him). But I am open to being persuaded.

Yep, that’s where I’ve been for months. We should trade Scherff to a team where he can work out a new long term deal. I’d much rather have a 2022 2nd rounder than a 2023 3rd round comp pick for Scherff.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:07 PM, RSkinGM said:

Miller is playing at the vet minimum. Can't get cheaper than that . I like Barber but he's a one trick pony. Maybe Miller can do the same thing . Pre-season will shake it all out .

You’re forgetting about the biggest reason guys like Barber make teams as reserve RBs & guys like Miller - who used to be starters - don’t. It’s special teams. Barber most likely makes it over Miller because Barber is a good special teams back and while he’s not as explosive as a healthy Lamar Miller, Barber is a better short yardage runner, a good blocker & also a decent receiver out of the backfield. I also read that Barber dropped like 10 pounds this offseason.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/football-teams-peyton-barber-drops-weight-during-offseason/amp/

Barber slimmed down this offseason, according to Rhiannon Walker of The Athletic.

Coach Ron Rivera believes Barber shed weight without sacrificing strength, saying it was mostly "baby fat" that the running back lost. With Antonio Gibson and J.D. McKissic looking solid in the first two RB spots, Barber heads into training camp as Washington's No. 3 back, facing competition from Jaret Patterson, Lamar Miller and Jonathan Williams.

While he doesn't offer much upside as a runner, Barber has ample NFL experience on both offense and special teams (the latter being a key consideration for back-end roster spots).”

On 7/22/2021 at 9:40 AM, RSkinGM said:

I have to admit- I went "Who" when I read this . I had to research who he is and how he got here. I didn't remember the name . He did have one good season at Indy ! I wonder what happened to his career with them. 

He’s got some talent but never been consistent enough. His foot injury he had as a senior in college really affected him & the projections for his career. My guess is he could wow us vs back ups in the preseason, as I expect Patterson to do as well and they both will end up on our practice squad. Williams is outside looking in even more so than Patterson IMO. He’s really going to have to look like our 3rd best RB & be good on special teams to make it over Barber and/or Miller as our 3rd RB, and I just don’t see it happening. 

I’d welcome it but I don’t see it happening.

Looks like they won’t get a deal done with Jonathan Allen. So either we're going to let another talented young player walk or we’re going to play the tag game for two years and lose him for nothing. Anyone who doesn’t see this becoming a major issue within this franchise is crazy. 

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Looks like they won’t get a deal done with Jonathan Allen. So either we're going to let another talented young player walk or we’re going to play the tag game for two years and lose him for nothing. Anyone who doesn’t see this becoming a major issue within this franchise is crazy. 

Need to know more details on what the contract demands are etc. I don’t think anyone wants to lose Jon Allen or Brandon Scherff but also making them the highest paid players at their position doesn’t make much sense either given the younger talent we have and needing to re-sign other guys too in the future . 

I would hope if they can’t get a long term deal done with Allen that they re-sign Payne & Settle. Losing one of our 4 DTs can be overcome, but we can’t start losing them all.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Curtis Samuel on the PUP list to start camp, a lingering groin injury being the root cause. 

The locals are framing it as minor — not a huge shocker, because these guys have become more cheerleaders than journalists lately — but hopefully that’s accurate. He opens things up for us on offense, and it will take a little time to figure out how best to deploy these guys together. Especially guys like Gibson, McKissic, and Samuel who have extremely similar skillsets.

• Like 1