News/Info on current WFT Players

ARTMONK HOF

Castro-Fields (knee) was taking part in team drills during Tuesday's OTAs, Zach Selby of the Commanders' official site reports.

Per the report, the second-year defensive back's knee is healthy after suffering an injury that held him out from from late October to the end of the 2022 NFL season. After recovering from this injury, Castro-Fields will continue to fight for a depth spot on Washington's 53-man roster after not recording a single stat last season in two appearances.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Castro-Fields (knee) was taking part in team drills during Tuesday's OTAs, Zach Selby of the Commanders' official site reports.

Per the report, the second-year defensive back's knee is healthy after suffering an injury that held him out from from late October to the end of the 2022 NFL season. After recovering from this injury, Castro-Fields will continue to fight for a depth spot on Washington's 53-man roster after not recording a single stat last season in two appearances.

The fact that Dantzler was cut is a good sign for what the coaches saw out of Forbes, Martin & Castro-Fields during OTAs IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Has anyone seen anything about us looking to trade CY? According to some things I’ve seen on Twitter, the Pittsburgh Steelers are very interested in acquiring him in a trade. 

Only thing I ever seen is media/fan speculation. I wouldn't be surprised if we went this route. I would have hoped to have a solid replacement on the team if that is the route they end up going.

4 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Only thing I ever seen is media/fan speculation. I wouldn't be surprised if we went this route. I would have hoped to have a solid replacement on the team if that is the route they end up going.

You wouldn’t be surprised if a group who most likely won’t be here next year trades a guy who could help them win? Seriously? I would be absolutely shocked if this group traded him or were even allowed too. Why would you trade a guy for a draft pick that you most likely won’t make? 

13 hours ago, lavar703 said:

You wouldn’t be surprised if a group who most likely won’t be here next year trades a guy who could help them win? Seriously? I would be absolutely shocked if this group traded him or were even allowed too. Why would you trade a guy for a draft pick that you most likely won’t make? 

Nothing has changed in the past 4-5 months for Chase Young. His 5th year option is still declined. His last 12 games he has amassed 31 tackles, 1.5 sacks and 2 FF. Anything the media says about his production during mini-camp doesn't change that. If the team does not believe he is going to regain rookie form, or best it, why should he not be moved?

I don't question or doubt the staffing not being retained next year. The question of being allowed to do something like that, is a valid question. Especially given Ron Rivera mentioning that contract extensions are on pause until there is resolution to the sale.

20 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Has anyone seen anything about us looking to trade CY? According to some things I’ve seen on Twitter, the Pittsburgh Steelers are very interested in acquiring him in a trade. 

I know that my buddy, who is a mega Steelers fan, hit me up a few days ago to ask what I thought the price for CY would be. He must have been seeing/hearing the same things. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Nothing has changed in the past 4-5 months for Chase Young. His 5th year option is still declined. His last 12 games he has amassed 31 tackles, 1.5 sacks and 2 FF. Anything the media says about his production during mini-camp doesn't change that. If the team does not believe he is going to regain rookie form, or best it, why should he not be moved?

I don't question or doubt the staffing not being retained next year. The question of being allowed to do something like that, is a valid question. Especially given Ron Rivera mentioning that contract extensions are on pause until there is resolution to the sale.

Do you have any idea how bad it would look on this group and their future ability to get a job if they dumped Chase Young and then he went on to play great? They’d never get a job in the same capacity again. It makes absolutely no sense for this group to cut bait. You aren’t going to get someone with his ability in return. And you won’t get adequate draft pick compensation. It’s akin to trading Trent Williams for a bag of chips. Which this group stupidly did. 

27 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Do you have any idea how bad it would look on this group and their future ability to get a job if they dumped Chase Young and then he went on to play great? They’d never get a job in the same capacity again. It makes absolutely no sense for this group to cut bait. You aren’t going to get someone with his ability in return. And you won’t get adequate draft pick compensation. It’s akin to trading Trent Williams for a bag of chips. Which this group stupidly did. 

I am not sure why anyone thinks Chase Young will "go on to play great." He hasn't even played good to this point. Chase Young and Trent Williams are not even in the same bracket. That comparison is incredibly horrible. It would be in our best interest to let Chase play out his 4th year and see if he can reclaim any hope for him, but the concept that you compared him to a first ballot hall of famer is ludicrous.

Honestly at this point, I expect you and some others to just keep making excuses for him. I hope he shows out this year for two reasons: 1. He reclaims his value and earns a second contract. 2. He reclaims his value and nets us something good in return (tag-n-trade scenario). Any attachment I have had to Chase Young left when he refused to come back when they activated him. Then when he did come back, he looked pretty meh. He needs to humble himself and work hard to earn his 2nd contract.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

I am not sure why anyone thinks Chase Young will "go on to play great." He hasn't even played good to this point. Chase Young and Trent Williams are not even in the same bracket. That comparison is incredibly horrible. It would be in our best interest to let Chase play out his 4th year and see if he can reclaim any hope for him, but the concept that you compared him to a first ballot hall of famer is ludicrous.

Honestly at this point, I expect you and some others to just keep making excuses for him. I hope he shows out this year for two reasons: 1. He reclaims his value and earns a second contract. 2. He reclaims his value and nets us something good in return (tag-n-trade scenario). Any attachment I have had to Chase Young left when he refused to come back when they activated him. Then when he did come back, he looked pretty meh. He needs to humble himself and work hard to earn his 2nd contract.

We keep making excuses and you keep trashing him. It’s no different we’re just on opposite ends of the spectrum. 

And I didn’t compare him to Trent Williams. I compared the situations. Trent hadn’t played in over a year by the time Rivera foolishly traded him for peanuts. I think you could run into a similar situation if you give up and move Chase. 

On 6/10/2023 at 3:42 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

Has anyone seen anything about us looking to trade CY?

We need to be considering offers for him and sweat cause we aren't keeping them both.  Get something for one of them.  How much is the question.  Certainly a first rounder, a second maybe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

We keep making excuses and you keep trashing him. It’s no different we’re just on opposite ends of the spectrum. 

And I didn’t compare him to Trent Williams. I compared the situations. Trent hadn’t played in over a year by the time Rivera foolishly traded him for peanuts. I think you could run into a similar situation if you give up and move Chase. 

TBH I'm not trashing him. I am providing stats and sound rationale for why the current staff is making the right decision on a player that has underperformed. I understand people's fascination as I was there too when we drafted him. The problem however is he has never been the guy we wanted him to be. I have accepted that he may never be anything great and it makes it much easier to see the business side of things. Its not unrealistic to think the team could move on from him now. It has a high probability to be a divorce for after the season (or maybe by the trade deadline).

Again, any comparison to the situation involving Trent Williams is erroneous. Trent Williams refused to play for the team because of a medical situation. It was clear that Trent wanted out. The return was bad, but it was better than releasing him outright like some teams have done. (DeAndre Hopkins, Dalvin Cook, Derek Carr, etc.) Chase Young's situation is solely based off his performance and the team wanting to protect themselves from investing too much into a bad investment.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

TBH I'm not trashing him. I am providing stats and sound rationale for why the current staff is making the right decision on a player that has underperformed. I understand people's fascination as I was there too when we drafted him. The problem however is he has never been the guy we wanted him to be. I have accepted that he may never be anything great and it makes it much easier to see the business side of things. Its not unrealistic to think the team could move on from him now. It has a high probability to be a divorce for after the season (or maybe by the trade deadline).

Again, any comparison to the situation involving Trent Williams is erroneous. Trent Williams refused to play for the team because of a medical situation. It was clear that Trent wanted out. The return was bad, but it was better than releasing him outright like some teams have done. (DeAndre Hopkins, Dalvin Cook, Derek Carr, etc.) Chase Young's situation is solely based off his performance and the team wanting to protect themselves from investing too much into a bad investment.

Yup. I mean I think the writing is on the wall that he will not be with us next year. Regardless of how he plays this year.

So you have to ask yourself a question:

"Am I willing to trade him for a 2024 4th rounder?" (*)

Why 2024 4th?

Because that is what a 2025 3rd rounder is valued at. And if we let him walk in FA, and he signs a large contract we could get a 2025 3rd rounder as a comp pick.

But the catch with comp picks is any signing you make can cancel them out. So it is conceivable that we could get nothing in return if he leaves via FA.

Which leaves a tag and trade scenario if you want to get more value. Which could net us more than just a 2024 4th rounder. But that means that we can't tag Sweat if he also has a great season. Which means you potentially lose the better professional and (as of this moment) better player in Sweat because you wanted to milk out one extra draft pick from Young.

So what do you do?

(*) It is conceivable you can get more than just a 4th for him, but just laying it out there as it is equal to a 2025 3rd rounder.

EDIT: the only quibble I have with your post is that IMHO Trent was not refusing to play because of a medical condition. He was using that as an excuse to provide cover for the fact that he just wanted out. He was trying to get a brand new contract with guaranteed $$ and when he was told no, the medical excuse was put front and center as why he wasn't showing up (**)

(**) Note I'm not saying he made up the cancer. I'm saying he was blaming the medical staff for the missed diagnosis as the reason why he was not coming back. It was BS. The whole thing was a run-of-the-mill contract dispute that he used his personal medical issues to muddy the waters and generate sympathy to him and public sentiment against the team.

• Like 1