Mock Draft #4

CrazyJoeDavola

Time is winding down and the picture isn't getting much clearer. I am once again using TDN draft simulator. I tried to mix it up and select some different players this time. I tend to get in a rut and fall into some complacency picking the same guys every time. with that said onto the draft.

29) Christian Barmore, IDL, Alabama - He is really the only DL I can see using this pick on. He will solidify the interior of the line and hopefully allow Kenny to make plays as well as the LB's.

62) Jabril Cox, LB, LSU - Jabril can be that nickel linebacker. he has great coverage skills while still able to hold his own against the run. Similar player to JOK from Notre Dame.

92) Keith Taylor, CB, Washington - Taylor is a big corner with great length and great ball skills. He can get beat watching the ball at times but pairing him with Jaire would be a great match. 

135) Walker Little, OT, Stanford - I am always a fan of Stanford OLineman. Little hasn't played in a while so it may take a little time for him to get back into the flow of the game but I think he can replace Turner at RT eventually

142) Shaun Wade, CB/S, Ohio State - I am looking at Wade as the third safety rather than a CB. I think he fits better at S. He can use his size and match up on the interior well. This can free up Savage to make plays as needed.

173) Tommy Kraemer, IOL, Notre Dame - Another school I like to look to for Olineman. Kraemer is a solid guy on the interior. He may not have a high ceiling but he has high floor. Seems like a safe pick to be at least a serviceable player on the inside.

178) Simi Fehoko, WR, Stanford - Fits the bill size size for what Gute seems to like. He made plays all the time at Stanford and he offers special teams help. 

241) Jaelon Darden, WR, North Texas - He does not fit the bill size wise for what Gute likes in his WR's. But Darden is a fast and shifty player who can play the role of Tyler Ervin as well as be our return guy for the next few years.

220) DJ Daniel, CB, Georgia - With Wade moving to safety in this scenario I felt another CB was needed. Daniel has good size adn physicality. He can be a developmental guy and cover a few snaps when needed. He also is a solid player for special teams.

256) Luke Farrell, TE, Ohio State - Mr. Irrelevant! Farrell would basically get a redshirt year in 2021 as his role would be to replace Big Dawg when he hangs them up. Farrell isn't a great pass catcher but can become an important piece with his blocking abilities.

Overall I kind of liked this draft more than my past couple. It would plug a few holes on defense and offer the offense a little depth. I like to focus on special teams contributors with the later round picks as well. Let me know what you think.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Joe said:

I want nothing to do with Shaun Wade; even at Safety. I really like the rest of this draft, but we've gotta find a Tackle much earlier than on Day 3. 

I was having some fun on YouTube watching the Senior Bowl stuff.  DB's vs. WR's.  I think I I saw Wade on there a few times.  Going to agree with you about him.  I'd stay away, or make sure he is a safety.

3 hours ago, Joe said:

I want nothing to do with Shaun Wade; even at Safety. I really like the rest of this draft, but we've gotta find a Tackle much earlier than on Day 3. 

Think we’d need to go a lot higher to get Little anyway. Plug him in at 62 and hope he’s there. I too don’t want Wade. Got to say I really don’t want Taylor either. Just not the athlete you need. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Think we’d need to go a lot higher to get Little anyway. Plug him in at 62 and hope he’s there. I too don’t want Wade. Got to say I really don’t want Taylor either. Just not the athlete you need. 

Agree in the thinking that Little will be long gone before the 4th round. Not saying you are right or wrong on Taylor, but for a CB who is 6'2.2" and run a 6.85 3-cone, that is high end trait stuff. 

19 hours ago, Joe said:

I am torn on Wade. At CB I would absolutely pass, but I think he can be a good safety. I wanted too go OT earlier too, but I didn't want to pass on Barmore in the first and I am just a big fan of Jabril Cox so I didn't want to change that. Taylor could be switched to OT but I don't think the trade off at that point was worth it. As others have mentioned Little is likely gone by my pick here but at that pick he is a great value. I think he will be a very good player.

15 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

I would disagree on Taylor I guess. he seems like a pretty good athlete with great size and isn't afraid to tackle. He isn't my favorite pick in this area but I do like him. Paulson Adebo is my favorite player in this area but not sure he makes it this deep.

• Like 1

To me the most important draft need is another offensive weapon - like Toney or Bateman or one of the Moore's. Then it has to be CB and then OT. I pretty much know the Packers won't do this but they should. Chances are if Newsome is there they will pick him or they will pick one of the first round grade OT's. 

21 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

To me the most important draft need is another offensive weapon - like Toney or Bateman or one of the Moore's. Then it has to be CB and then OT. I pretty much know the Packers won't do this but they should. Chances are if Newsome is there they will pick him or they will pick one of the first round grade OT's. 

I disagree.  Respectfully.

I would love Toney or Bateman, let's get that clear.  (Bateman over Toney) (I also really like Marshall) But...we were the #1 scoring offense last year.  We are bringing back our entire WR corp, plus Funchess.  Bringing back Jones and Dillon behind him.

This WR group for the next year does not need a highly drafted kid like Bateman or Toney.  The year after?  Yes.

What this team needs is a better slot option than Sullivan.  First and foremost.  Then it needs an OT for the present and the future.  It needs another IDL.  It needs another boundary corner.  Maybe even another ILB.

In this draft, I don't see a WR prior to our third pick.  But I do think we will double dip and maybe even move up for one.

Take a peek at Cade Johnson, WR, South Dakota State.  I watched his Senior Bowl reps, and that is a smooth kid.  Silky.  Catches everything.  He's got a lot of Greg Jennings in him.  I'm looking at him as a 3rd-4th round developmental kid for GB.  And our GM, @MaximusGluteus took him our GM draft in the fifth round of that mock.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I disagree.  Respectfully.

I would love Toney or Bateman, let's get that clear.  (Bateman over Toney) (I also really like Marshall) But...we were the #1 scoring offense last year.  We are bringing back our entire WR corp, plus Funchess.  Bringing back Jones and Dillon behind him.

This WR group for the next year does not need a highly drafted kid like Bateman or Toney.  The year after?  Yes.

What this team needs is a better slot option than Sullivan.  First and foremost.  Then it needs an OT for the present and the future.  It needs another IDL.  It needs another boundary corner.  Maybe even another ILB.

In this draft, I don't see a WR prior to our third pick.  But I do think we will double dip and maybe even move up for one.

Take a peek at Cade Johnson, WR, South Dakota State.  I watched his Senior Bowl reps, and that is a smooth kid.  Silky.  Catches everything.  He's got a lot of Greg Jennings in him.  I'm looking at him as a 3rd-4th round developmental kid for GB.  And our GM, @MaximusGluteus took him our GM draft in the fifth round of that mock.

I agree with you here. Although I am not a fan of Toney. Bateman is a good player but I don't see the value difference between him and someone we could take in round 3 or later. The other positions you listed are a much higher priority to me as well. I too like Cade Johnson but I think you can wait until round 5 or 6 to take him much like @MaximusGluteus did in the GM draft. Another guy I like as a late flyer and may be able to be brought in as an UDFA is Kevin Stepherson. Dazz Newsome has been a favorite in my mocks as well.

2 hours ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

I would disagree on Taylor I guess. he seems like a pretty good athlete with great size and isn't afraid to tackle. He isn't my favorite pick in this area but I do like him. Paulson Adebo is my favorite player in this area but not sure he makes it this deep.

I think you have Taylor too early but I like the pick as a solid rotational player on Day 3. I think a lot of people are a little too in on Jabrill Cox. I doubt he'll be there at 62 to begin and with both Martin and Barnes showing good sideline-to-sideline agility I don't see ILB as much of a need. I do like Adebo as well, but he's gotta be falling down the boards for a reason. Like Walker Little, I'm guessing part of it is because he opted out of 2020 so you have to go on older tape that may be a bit more inconsistent than we would like, plus he has to get back up to game speed and then take it to the next level. I wouldn't mind him as our 3rd rounder though.

Do bear in mind that Gute has kinda downplayed the perceived need for CB in an interview with McCarren recently; part of it was the Kevin King deal. I'm thinking Gutey trades up for Darrisaw if he falls far enough and if a CB is taken, it'd be Day 3. I don't think this is a smokescreen.

Edited by Joe

1 hour ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

I agree with you here. Although I am not a fan of Toney. Bateman is a good player but I don't see the value difference between him and someone we could take in round 3 or later. The other positions you listed are a much higher priority to me as well. I too like Cade Johnson but I think you can wait until round 5 or 6 to take him much like @MaximusGluteus did in the GM draft. Another guy I like as a late flyer and may be able to be brought in as an UDFA is Kevin Stepherson. Dazz Newsome has been a favorite in my mocks as well.

I like Dazz, too.  But man, he did not do well in his Pro Day.  His tape looks much better, though.

From what I've seen on film concerning Cade, mocks and boards may have him valued in the 5'th, but that is no fifth round player.

In the same breath, I was high on that 3 name corner from Minnesota.  He was flat out abused by most every receiver at the Pro Bowl in the 1:1's that I watched.  In those drills, it is very heavily favored to the WR, but that kid was beaten like a drum, and fast.  Feet were really slow and he was really grabby.

In the same breathe, the Washington corner, Taylor, looked really good.  And he was the one corner who was getting physical as the catch was being made.  Dumped a few guys hard like he was POD that he was giving up a catch.

In those drills, Toney was there.  He was clearly THE elite athlete on the field at WR.  Robinson the corner was there, and he was THE elite CB.  Those two were just ahtletically better than most everyone else there.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 6:36 PM, R T said:

Agree in the thinking that Little will be long gone before the 4th round. Not saying you are right or wrong on Taylor, but for a CB who is 6'2.2" and run a 6.85 3-cone, that is high end trait stuff. 

Given that he missed last year after sitting out because of COVID and him missing the previous year with injury, I think he's a Day 3 pick unless we see a run on OL.  I think he's a 3rd round pick at the earliest.