Bucs sign RB Gio Bernard

indifference

Good pick up

Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) Tweeted:
Veteran RB Giovani Bernard is signing a one-year deal with the #Bucs, per source.

Tom Brady and Bruce Arians both personally recruited Bernard, one of the NFL’s best receiving backs, after his release from Cincinnati. Another weapon for Brady and the Super Bowl champs.

Edited by indifference

This seals the fate of any RB being drafted before the late rounds in this draft. This also buries Vaughn again on the depth chart this year.

This is another LeSean McCoy pick-up IMO. Bernard looked pretty washed last year. He was horrendous in efficiency as a runner and while he can still catch, he wasn't able to do much with it after the catch...

• Like 1

I went back and watched some Gio 2020 highlights

At least he still has some juice left,  unlike Shady

Could be a great signing,  just seems like all our rbs are on 1 yr deals and our 3rd rounder from last year won't see the field 

But whatever , if Brady wants it , let's just go get another ring babyyyy

4 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

This seals the fate of any RB being drafted before the late rounds in this draft. This also buries Vaughn again on the depth chart this year.

This is another LeSean McCoy pick-up IMO. Bernard looked pretty washed last year. He was horrendous in efficiency as a runner and while he can still catch, he wasn't able to do much with it after the catch...

The McCoy comparison is a bit harsh. I thought he had some moments when Mixon went down last year. I also read he was elite in pass protection. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dalan162 said:

The McCoy comparison is a bit harsh. I thought he had some moments when Mixon went down last year. I also read he was elite in pass protection

'Pro Football Focus gave Bernard its seventh-highest pass blocking grade out of 70 graded backs in 2020, compared to Jones (44th) and Fournette (65th).'

I wasn't aware of this. That's actually a valuable trait, especially for a 3rd down back. He may turn out to have a weekly role in the game plan. 

• Like 2