WR Julian Edelman released by Patriots; Announces retirement

Apparition

34 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I know many will say the play they’ll remember the most from him was the SB catch against Atlanta where the ball was basically on the ground... but for me it was his catch and run against Seattle in the SB after taking a direct hit from Chancellor. That dude was just dropping people left and right all year and Edelman took his best shot and didn’t go down. Guy was tough as nails.

That 2018 AFCCG OT drive against KC was also insane. He converted two 3rd and long. One of which saw him take a huge hit. I remember being amazed he didn’t fumble. Not only, did he not, but he stood up like nothing happened

Edited by Dalan162

I think he will still make the HOF if he stays involved with football (coaching/announcing/working for NFL or Patriots) and stays relevant long enough to stay in people's minds as a more senior candidate. Someone like Jim Plunkett stays involved with the Raiders and radio (I think) and stays in the conversation as a senior candidate. Eventually his post season stats and championships will get him in. It might take until a decade or two after Tom Brady retires and the people remember how hard multiple championships are.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dalan162 said:

That 2018 AFCCG OT drive against KC was also insane. He converted two 3rd and long. One of which saw him take a huge hit. I remember being amazed he didn’t fumble. Not only, did he not, but he stood up like nothing happened

He got nailed by Seattle in the Super Bowl too. He just kept going and scored the game winning TD later

I think it was a 3rd and 14 play when they were down 10 in the 4th.

8 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Add Ward too

The Edelman to Canton talk shouldn't even start when Holt and Wayne make it. Even if Ward makes it. Or Rod Smith. Or Jimmy Smith. There is such a backlog of receivers that were better, but just don't have the hardware due to Brady not being their QB. 

Edelman was a great guy though, that made his fair share of big plays. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, childofpudding said:

The argument for Edelman is similar to that for Eli - solely playoff performance. And there a lot of people who think Eli should get in. If you're going that route, then the argument for Edelman is arguably as strong as that for Eli.

I don't think either should get in.

At least Eli has made a few Pro Bowls, and at one point was a top 10 QB in the NFL (2011). I agree with you that either shouldn't be in, but I can see Eli slipping in. I can't see Edelman in there at all. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

At least Eli has made a few Pro Bowls, and at one point was a top 10 QB in the NFL (2011). I agree with you that either shouldn't be in, but I can see Eli slipping in. I can't see Edelman in there at all. 

That's a good point. I honestly didn't  know that Eli made the Pro Bowl. I suspect that most or all the time he made it, it was because QBs ahead of him dropped out, but I'm too lazy to look it up. Either way it's a good point.

I don't think that matters in most people's calculus though. They think Eli should get in because he had two good playoff runs that led to SBs. Well, Edelman had three good playoff runs that led to SBs - 2014, 2016, 2018 - where he averaged 100 yards receiving in each playoff run (slightly below that in 2014) and had more than 100 yards receiving in each SB. Edelman was actually better in the playoffs overall than Eli was.

I agree that Eli might slip in while Edelman won't sniff it. And the reason is because he was a QB. That's it, really. And actually I think that's a fair point too. While it's a team sport and there's no doubt about that, winning depends on the QB more than any other individual player. The argument against that is in 2007, QB or not, Eli had little to do with the success of the team, either in the regular season or the playoffs. It was mainly the rushing game and the defense.

Another factor for Eli getting in the HoF would be the team he beat in each SB. Narrative matters.

But yeah, as I said earlier, I don't think either should get in. 

Edited by childofpudding

10 hours ago, Starless said:

Where's the lie, though? Neither was ever an exceptional player outside of the postseason. 

Eli has postseason legacy and bulk statistical career stats in his column. Sure he was never considered elite but he finished top 10 in all time passing yards. Edelman just has postseason legacy. His regular season stats are nothing special. He was never considered even close to a top 10 WR. It's not the hall of elite stats. You can get in with just elite stats (Marino). You can get in with legacy and good stats (Aikman). It'd be hard pressed to get in with just legacy especially when your legacy came from the hand of the GOAT QB and HC, and you stepped into a role already established before you who did it just as well (Welker).

Not hating on Edelman. He was a good player. But comparing his career to Eli's is silly.

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Eli has postseason legacy and bulk statistical career stats in his column. Sure he was never considered elite but he finished top 10 in all time passing yards. Edelman just has postseason legacy. His regular season stats are nothing special. He was never considered even close to a top 10 WR. It's not the hall of elite stats. You can get in with just elite stats (Marino). You can get in with legacy and good stats (Aikman). It'd be hard pressed to get in with just legacy especially when your legacy came from the hand of the GOAT QB and HC, and you stepped into a role already established before you who did it just as well (Welker).

Not hating on Edelman. He was a good player. But comparing his career to Eli's is silly.

Eli will only get in because of his last name and his two Super Bowls; his regular season stats aren't impressive at all and hs a .500 record as the starter.

If Lynn Swann can get in due to his postseason heroics, I don't see why a guy whose postseason production is second only to Jerry freaking Rice can't.

15 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Eli will only get in because of his last name and his two Super Bowls; his regular season stats aren't impressive at all and hs a .500 record as the starter.

If Lynn Swann can get in due to his postseason heroics, I don't see why a guy whose postseason production is second only to Jerry freaking Rice can't.

Bulk stats matter. He finished his career 8th all time in passing yards, 9th all time in TD's. If he hadn't won any SB's the bulk stats alone would not be enough since he was never considered elite. But the bulk stats in conjunction with the two SB MVP's will be enough.
The HOF voting committee is made up of sports writers and pundits like Peter King, Sal Paolantonio, Lisa Salters, Dan Fouts etc etc. People that have made their career dramatizing sports. Eli is getting in, not 1st ballot but in. Does he deserve it? That's a different question and is certainly debatable. But based off the criteria the actual HOF voting committee uses... he's getting in.

I really shouldn't be surprised that someone is trying to compare Edelman's HOF case to Eli's. They aren't remotely comparable. Edelman has had basically the same exact career as Deion Branch. Does Deion Branch belong in the HOF?

Edelman was an awesome slot receiver in an era that will be remembered for awesome slot receivers. Tough, gritty, quick guys that you always had to account for. He just also happened to play with Tom Brady and for Bill Belichick and has a bunch of rings because of it. He absolutely does not belong in the HOF.