"Lions and Tigers and a Bearcat" Mock

Karnage84

Now that FFMD is over, it's back to mock draft's. This is a TDN mock that went an interesting way.

1 (7) - JaMarr Chase, WR, LSU - Arguably the top WR in the draft, should automatically be our WR1 for years. If Jared Goff is being given a fair shake adding someone like Chase is a surefire way to give him a chance to succeed. If Goff can't do it, Chase should be a weapon for a new QB1

2 (41) - Terrance Marshall Jr., WR, LSU - A potential 1st round WR, he slips to us at 41. Despite some trade offers, pairing Marshall back up with Chase and creating a WR room of Chase, Marshall, Ty Williams, Breshad Perriman really helps to bump up our overall talent level. 

3 (72) - Milton Williams, DL, Louisiana Tech - Back to the great state of Louisiana. Highly athletic pass-rusher who can play inside and out

4 (101) - Spencer Brown, OT, Northern Iowa - Brown is a small school prospect with a lot of potential. He should help solidify the right side and protect Goff while he throws passes to our new weapons. 

4 (112) - Jay Tufele, DT, USC - 1T/3T versatility. Decided to add another talented player to the DLine in order to build up the unit

5 (153) - James Wiggins, S, Cincinatti - Versatile safety with potential to become a starter

QB - Goff, Boyle

RB - Swift, J. Williams, K. Johnson

WR - Chase, Marshall, T. Williams, B. Perriman, Q. Cephus, Ratley, Raymond

TE - Hockenson, Hill, Bryant

LT - Decker, M. Nelson

LG - Jackson

OC - Ragnow

RG - Vaitai, Stenberg

RT - Brown, Crosby

DE - Flowers, M. Williams

DT - Brockers

DT - Tufele, N. Williams

DE - R. Okwara, D. Hand

SLB - Collins

MLB - Anzalone, Tavai, Hamilton

WLB - Reeves-Maybin

LCB - Oruwariye, Ford

SCB - Elder

RCB - Dunbar, Okudah

FS - Walker, Marlowe

SS - Harris, Wiggins

This would give us two stellar weapons at WR on rookie contracts. This would make the Lions a more appealing option as a free agent destination on offense in 2022 to create a really solid trio of Chase, Marshall and a high end FA (Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin, Juju, Mike Williams, etc.). We get a young guy to help solidify our protection and finish off the OL for a couple years. 

This adds some solid pieces to our defensive line and adds a piece to our secondary. With increased talent and pressure along the DL, the rest of the defense should start to see some improvement. The additions into our secondary do provide an injection of talent albeit they're only here for a year. This will allow for us to focus on rebuilding the rest of the defense next off-season (FA and draft) to compliment a well tooled offense. 

• Like 1

With a look towards 2022, the Lions could be looking at finishing off the offense, improving the secondary and utilizing our abundance of draft capital to address Quarterback and/or other parts of our defense DE/Edge, LB, SS. 

FA's

• Marcus Williams, FS $14M x 6 Years: Reunites with Aaron Glenn and Dan Campbell. Solidifies our CB position
  • Mike Williams, WR - $10M x 3 Years: Reunites with Anthony Lynn and finishing the trio of Chase, Williams and Marshall
  • Marshon Lattimore, CB - $16M x 3 Years: Reunites with Aaron Glenn and Dan Campbell. Solidifies our CB position

2021 Draft Pick

2022 FA

2022 Team Needs

OFFENSE (3+ Needs)

QB - Goff, (Backup/QBOTF QB***)

RB - Swift, J. Williams, RB3

WR - Chase, M. WilliamsMarshall, T. Williams, Q. Cephus

TE - Hockenson, TE2, Bryant

LT - Decker

LG - Jackson

OC - Ragnow

RG - Vaitai, Stenberg

RT - Brown

DEFENSE (3 Starters + 6 Depth/Developmental = 9)

DE - Flowers, M. Williams

DT - Brockers, DT3

DT - Tufele, DT2

DE - R. Okwara, 

SLB - Collins, SLB2

MLB - MLB1, Tavai

WLB - WLB1

LCB - Lattimore, Oruwariye, CB6

SCB - SCB1

RCB - Okudah, CB5

FS - Ma. Williams, FS2

SS - Harris, Wiggins

2022 DRAFT PICKS (10 Picks)

• 1st Round (2x)
  • 2nd Round (1x)
  • 3rd Round (1x) - Expecting a +1 comp pick for KG
  • 4th Round (1x)
  • 5th Round (1x)
  • 6th (Round (1x)
  • 7th Round (2x)

2023 DRAFT PICKS (7 Picks)

• 1st Round (2x)
  • 2nd Round (1x)
  • 3rd Round (1x) 
  • 4th Round (1x)
  • 5th Round (1x)
  • 6th (Round (1x)
  • 7th Round (0x)

The 2022 and 2023 drafts appear to be strong in our biggest areas of need - QB (2022 - Howell, Shough, Slovis, Rattler), DE (Thibodeaux, Z. Harrison), DT (Jackson, Leal), LB (Harris, Cox, Miller). There is even a bunch of CB's and Safeties in the 1st round mix which could all be plugged in. If Goff is able to use these tools and have offensive success, we could use our two 1st's to address major defensive needs. If he struggles, we will likely have nearly all of the top QB's available to us with a strong supporting cast already in place for the next 3-4 years on cheap contracts. 

Edited by Karnage84

19 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I like it. I don't think we are in position to start "filling holes" by reaching for specific positions. Let's grab BPA and build up a foundation. If that means doubling down at some positions, I am all for it. 

It wasn't exactly planned but I didn't want to trade down with Chase sitting there. We already have two 2022 1st's, why bypass the top talent at a position of need. Marshall also just happened to be a surprise who was available. He has played primarily out of the slot (307 snaps), which would address a major positional need for us. Even if he isn't a round 1 guy he'll probably be a Tee Higgins type and go in the first 3-4 picks in the 2nd.  I don't think he will be there for us in round 2 but I'd strongly consider this if he was. I also expect Milton to go in round 2. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

With a look towards 2022, the Lions could be looking at finishing off the offense, improving the secondary and utilizing our abundance of draft capital to address Quarterback and/or other parts of our defense DE/Edge, LB, SS. 

FA's

• Marcus Williams, FS $14M x 6 Years: Reunites with Aaron Glenn and Dan Campbell. Solidifies our CB position
  • Mike Williams, WR - $10M x 3 Years: Reunites with Anthony Lynn and finishing the trio of Chase, Williams and Marshall
  • Marshon Lattimore, CB - $16M x 3 Years: Reunites with Aaron Glenn and Dan Campbell. Solidifies our CB position

2021 Draft Pick

2022 FA

QB - Goff, Boyle

RB - Swift, J. Williams, K. Johnson

WR - Chase, M. WilliamsMarshall, Q. Cephus, Ratley, Raymond

TE - Hockenson, Hill, Bryant

LT - Decker, M. Nelson

LG - Jackson

OC - Ragnow

RG - Vaitai, Stenberg

RT - Brown, Crosby

DE - Flowers, M. Williams

DT - Brockers

DT - Tufele, N. Williams

DE - R. Okwara, D. Hand

SLB - Collins

MLB - Anzalone, Tavai, Hamilton

WLB - Reeves-Maybin

LCB - Lattimore, Oruwariye, Ford

SCB - Elder

RCB - Okudah, Dunbar

FS - Ma. Williams, Walker

SS - Harris, Wiggins

Sign me up for pretty much all of this.  I love the double dip at WR.  Lock up the position on the cheap for like 4-5 years totally down.  I like the other players you selected too.  Good job.

Getting Chase at 7 would be great.  Really i think the best we can hope for is one of Chase, Sewell or Pitts to slip to us.  Im not a huge fan of Marshal think he’s a bit overrated I’d rather get Toney, Bateman or Moore there they did in fact double down.   Williams could go higher but a few of those guys seem to fall every year.  I remember thinking Grady Jarret wouldn’t make it out of the 2nd and he slipt to the 5th.  

Think your over paying for Marcus Williams.  I don’t think he’s an elite FS so I can’t see paying him 14 per.  Bringing in Lattimore to play with Okudah for the rest of his rookie deal on the other hand would be a dream.  I don’t see the Saints letting him hit the market though

16 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Getting Chase at 7 would be great.  Really i think the best we can hope for is one of Chase, Sewell or Pitts to slip to us.  Im not a huge fan of Marshal think he’s a bit overrated I’d rather get Toney, Bateman or Moore there they did in fact double down.   Williams could go higher but a few of those guys seem to fall every year.  I remember thinking Grady Jarret wouldn’t make it out of the 2nd and he slipt to the 5th.  

Think your over paying for Marcus Williams.  I don’t think he’s an elite FS so I can’t see paying him 14 per.  Bringing in Lattimore to play with Okudah for the rest of his rookie deal on the other hand would be a dream.  I don’t see the Saints letting him hit the market though

Bateman went in the 1st round. I'm hearing more 'boom or bust' potential out of Toney from some of the pundits. I like Moore but his size is just such a big concern for me. I just don't feel like he's a guy who is going to be available on a regular basis and we'll always need some other guy to fill in for him. When he's there, he's electric. 

Williams: I just looked at Spotrac and what their projections were. They had him at just over $13M. 

Lattimore: He just had some misdemeanor thing which could make them think twice about paying a big contract. They are also towards the bottom of 2022 cap space ( 25th), so signing someone like Lattimore to a second contract might just be a non-option for them. We have the 13th most ($38M on a $192M cap) and we'll likely make some more room when trimming the roster. 

7 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Bateman went in the 1st round. I'm hearing more 'boom or bust' potential out of Toney from some of the pundits. I like Moore but his size is just such a big concern for me. I just don't feel like he's a guy who is going to be available on a regular basis and we'll always need some other guy to fill in for him. When he's there, he's electric. 

Williams: I just looked at Spotrac and what their projections were. They had him at just over $13M. 

Lattimore: He just had some misdemeanor thing which could make them think twice about paying a big contract. They are also towards the bottom of 2022 cap space ( 25th), so signing someone like Lattimore to a second contract might just be a non-option for them. We have the 13th most ($38M on a $192M cap) and we'll likely make some more room when trimming the roster. 

I think people are really miscategorizing Toney with the boom/bust speedster label, I’d apply that more to a guy like Tutu atwell.  Toney shows phenomenal short area quickness on underneath routes.  I think he can be a slot demon that not only can go deep on the fade but is nearly impossible to stay with when changing directions on short routes.  I get the concerns with Moore’s injury history but it’s misguided to think it’s due to his size, kids built like a tank.  If anything maybe his nasty rb esc running style could lead to more injuries.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

I think people are really miscategorizing Toney with the boom/bust speedster label, I’d apply that more to a guy like Tutu atwell.  Toney shows phenomenal short area quickness on underneath routes.  I think he can be a slot demon that not only can go deep on the fade but is nearly impossible to stay with when changing directions on short routes.  I get the concerns with Moore’s injury history but it’s misguided to think it’s due to his size, kids built like a tank.  If anything maybe his nasty rb esc running style could lead to more injuries.  

personally I like Toney at like WR 2/3..He is going in the first...Rondale Moore is another boom or bust...(injured midget)

23 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Where is it saying the Lions have 38 million in cap room?

Everything I’ve read is around 22.2 million and rookie salaries have to be accounted for.

What am I missing?

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Where is it saying the Lions have 38 million in cap room?

Everything I’ve read is around 22.2 million and rookie salaries have to be accounted for.

What am I missing?

This is next offseason.  We should have a lot of cap room next year on top of that 38 mil a lot of Bob Quinn’s terrible contracts like Big V, Flowers and Collins become more favorable to cut

Edited by BigC421/
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigC421/ said:

This is next offseason.  We should have a lot of cap room next year on top of that 38 mil a lot of Bob Quinn’s terrible contracts like Big V, Flowers and Collins become more favorable to cut

Oh, got it. Thank you.

Next year they start with 47 million. That’s a good place to be.

12 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Oh, got it. Thank you.

Next year they start with 47 million. That’s a good place to be.

• 2021 - $22M - $10M for rookie contracts = $12M Carry-over (potentially)
  • 2022 - $47M + $12M Carryover + Cap from key cuts (Collins (June 1); Tavai; Vaitai) +$8M = $67M > We'd move up into the top 8 in overall cap space (assuming nobody else makes major cuts in that grouping)
  • 2023 - $101M to start (with above cuts factored in)