32 James Okonkwo F Jr 6'8" 240
34 Duwe Farrris F Gr 6'7" 210
55 Harrison Ingram F Jr 6'7" 230

Depth Chart
TBD

2024 Prospect Commitments [3]
*Ordered by 247 Composite Rankings*
Verbal [3]

Ian Jackson - 5* Shooting Guard - 6'4" 185 - Bronx, NY [Cardinal Hayes] (.9982)
Drake Powell - 5* Small Forward - 6'5" 170 - Pittsboro, NC [Northwood] (.9943)
James Brown - 4* Center - 6'9" 210 - Chicago, IL [St. Rita] (.9743)

Edited by beekay414

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

UNC has 9 scholarship offers out for the 2022 class and is only leading for 1.

Hubert's going to have to put his own stamp on things. If he tries to play like Roy did, he's in for a **** ton of trouble. Any smart coach would take this roster, go small ball with Bacot and Manley (gross) as the only playable bigs (pending a transfer), and spread teams out allowing Davis and Love to use their athleticism to get to the rim. The crowded two big man game we played last year was the absolute worst style to play with those two lead guards.

Davis, Love, Black, McKoy, Bacot as the starters. Harris, Styles/Dunn, Walton, Puff, Manley as the backup group.

EDIT - I lied.

Davis, Love, Walton, Black, Bacot as the starters with Harris, Styles/Dunn, Puff, McKoy, Manley as the backups. Gotta get a shooter in that starting lineup.

Edited by beekay414

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Hubert's going to have to put his own stamp on things. If he tries to play like Roy did, he's in for a **** ton of trouble. 

That's why I don't like the hire. Davis has only ever coached under Roy Williams and it feels like a move to try and keep the "Carolina way." But Hubert Davis isn't Roy Williams, Roy is one of the greatest coaches in the history of the sport that won at a high level at two blue blood programs. I'd bet that Davis tries to replicate the same style of play that Roy used. 

UNC could've handed a blank check to any coach in the country and they would've taken the job. 

It kind of reminds me of what USC has done with their football program. After Carroll left they've literally refused to hire anyone outside of his coaching tree in hopes of catching a spark.

Just now, NYRaider said:

That's why I don't like the hire. Davis has only ever coached under Roy Williams and it feels like a move to try and keep the "Carolina way." But Hubert Davis isn't Roy Williams, Roy is one of the greatest coaches in the history of the sport that won at a high level at two blue blood programs. I'd bet that Davis tries to replicate the same style of play that Roy used. 

UNC could've handed a blank check to any coach in the country and they would've taken the job. 

It kind of reminds me of what USC has done with their football program. After Carroll left they've literally refused to hire anyone outside of his coaching tree in hopes of catching a spark.

Davis played a long career in the NBA so I have a bit more faith in him to employ more modern concepts than Roy did. He's going to have no choice with the roster construction.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Davis played a long career in the NBA so I have a bit more faith in him to employ more modern concepts than Roy did. He's going to have no choice with the roster construction.

Playing the game and coaching are completely different things though and Davis retired from the NBA almost two decades ago. I just think overall that it was a weak move by the university to hand him the job. 

@beekay414this hire makes me happy that all of Duke's highly touted assistants have went on to get head coaching jobs. Most of them have been meh and have shown that they're not the right guy to replace K whenever he hangs them up. If Davis and UNC struggle I think that'll definitely play a factor in our coaching search and hopefully push us towards hiring someone outside of the program. 

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Playing the game and coaching are completely different things though and Davis retired from the NBA almost two decades ago. I just think overall that it was a weak move by the university to hand him the job. 

It is what it is. All we can do is wait and see. We both know I wasn't happy with it but I'm also not going to be a butthead the entire time until I see what he does.

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

@beekay414this hire makes me happy that all of Duke's highly touted assistants have went on to get head coaching jobs. Most of them have been meh and have shown that they're not the right guy to replace K whenever he hangs them up. If Davis and UNC struggle I think that'll definitely play a factor in our coaching search and hopefully push us towards hiring someone outside of the program. 

Not to derail a UNC thread but it’s a high probability Coach K/Duke keeps it in house with a Duke guy because of  “The Brotherhood”. Whether we agree or not.

8 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Not to derail a UNC thread but it’s a high probability Coach K/Duke keeps it in house with a Duke guy because of  “The Brotherhood”. Whether we agree or not.

I think it depends because Kevin White just retired as the Athletic Director but they haven't hired his replacement. Wojo, Chris Collins, Johnny Dawkins and Jeff Capel were all potential candidates but none of them have been very successful at other programs. 

If we are going to keep it in the Duke "family" the only guys I'd consider would be Tommy Amaker, Bobby Hurley, Mike Brey, or Quinn Snyder. Brey would be a solid hire as a shorter term solution. Bobby Hurley has done pretty well at Arizona State and has landed some high level recruits, plus he comes from a coaching family as his dad is one of the best HS coaches ever and he's only 49. Snyder is a great coach but I couldn't see him leaving the NBA for a college job. 

We offered Brady Manek from Oklahoma today. He entered the transfer portal after Kruger retired. Bryce Thompson, from Kansas, is another guy to watch out for but Manek is a much bigger need. Christian Bishop from Creighton was also offered yesterday.

I would say we could land 2 of them but, unfortunately, giving a friggin' scholarship to Ryan McAdoo is going to cost us as we only have one left.

EDIT - Unless Manek wouldn't count towards the limits since he's using the "free" year to transfer. I'm not sure how that's going to work.

Edited by beekay414