Jump to content

What is a Super Bowl, that if a player had won, they are in the HOF?


Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, djw4bucs said:

Whats everyone opinion on rich gannon in this talk,

dude was a stud for 4 years but the rest of his career was either bad or just average, 

if he wins super bowl 37 does he get in?

I don't think so. In recent years the HOF has been a little more relaxed with the "shooting star" effect via the inclusion of people like Jimmy Johnson, Kurt Warner, and Terrell Davis. However even with that ring, and his accomplishments as a TV broadcaster, it might be an uphill battle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

and his accomplishments as a TV broadcaster

I find it inexplicable that anyone who has been subjected to hearing Rich Gannon call a game would describe his post-playing career an accomplishment of any kind whatsoever.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, August4th said:

James Harrison? steelers win SB45 he's now a 3x SB champ and a DPOY award/few elite seasons on his resume. He becomes the Terrell Davis of Linebackers(he kinda already is) what about Cam? he wins SB50 and the positive media blitz that comes with that. I could see that pushing him in down the road.

I think the better "what if" with Harrison is "what if" Cowher had trusted him to start sooner?      He showed he had talent long before 2007.   I wonder how he wouldve faired starting next to Joey Porter in 2005 and 2006.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CKSteeler said:

I find it inexplicable that anyone who has been subjected to hearing Rich Gannon call a game would describe his post-playing career an accomplishment of any kind whatsoever.

Ha. I guess that's true. I've never thought he was awful, but not great. I guess since he's been in the media to a degree, that would also boost his stock had he won Super Bowl 36. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, is Drew Bledsoe in if he wins Super Bowl 31??? At the very least, does he get his job back in 2001 due to the legacy of being the guy that brought New England it's only championship? Bill Belichick would have been under a lot more pressure to insert Drew back in the saddle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

BTW, is Drew Bledsoe in if he wins Super Bowl 31??? At the very least, does he get his job back in 2001 due to the legacy of being the guy that brought New England it's only championship? Bill Belichick would have been under a lot more pressure to insert Drew back in the saddle. 

No. As great as Bledsoe was, he was also a VERY streaky passer that had REALLY bad meltdowns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 43M said:

I think the better "what if" with Harrison is "what if" Cowher had trusted him to start sooner?      He showed he had talent long before 2007.   I wonder how he wouldve faired starting next to Joey Porter in 2005 and 2006.

Harrison needed a couple of years on the Steelers (Richard Rydze) steroid program before he really excelled. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Harrison needed a couple of years on the Steelers (Richard Rydze) steroid program before he really excelled. 

His issue was never physical, it was mental.   He always had the physical tools, but he was extremely uncoachable his first few years.   He refused to learn the playbook, which is why he was cut early on.   Steelers brought him back because LeBeau saw something in him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Take away the GSOT ring and Warner probably doesn't get in. His career was weird though, so maybe he does. 

As for the win-and-in guys....McNair probably. Julius Peppers probably has an easier time if Carolina beat New England. 

Based on total impact, if Devin Hester and Chicago had won, he might get some consideration. 

Mushin Muhammed? He could be chalked up twice lol. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Based on total impact, if Devin Hester and Chicago had won, he might get some consideration.

This is an interesting one given the opening return. We have seen moments get guys in in the past. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

This is an interesting one given the opening return. We have seen moments get guys in in the past. 

Yep. We don't see pure return specialists get in, but Hester was really one of a kind (particularly for his time). With his overall body of work, a Superbowl (further) cements him as the best to ever do it. I think that would be HoF worthy.

Punters get in, but return specialists can be just as impactful. Problem is, it's so incredibly rare someone carves out a long term career as one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yep. We don't see pure return specialists get in, but Hester was really one of a kind (particularly for his time). With his overall body of work, a Superbowl (further) cements him as the best to ever do it. I think that would be HoF worthy.

Punters get in, but return specialists can be just as impactful. Problem is, it's so incredibly rare someone carves out a long term career as one.

No one active is even close to his punt return record for TDs

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How about Marshawn Lynch?  If they had handed the ball off to him on the goal line instead of throwing that pass that was intercepted, would that have been Marshawn's ticket to the HOF?  His "beastmode" run in the wildcard game against the Saints will be remembered forever and he was one of the true characters of the game, so I'd love to see him get in.

 

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Take away the GSOT ring and Warner probably doesn't get in. His career was weird though, so maybe he does. 

As for the win-and-in guys....McNair probably. Julius Peppers probably has an easier time if Carolina beat New England. 

Based on total impact, if Devin Hester and Chicago had won, he might get some consideration. 

Mushin Muhammed? He could be chalked up twice lol. 

Devin Hester absolutely should be in the Hall of Fame.  He is the best returner in history, and that opening kickoff return is one of the most memorable Super Bowl plays ever, IMO.  Everyone knew it was possible.  The Colts knew they had to key in on stopping him, and he did it anyway.  It was one of those plays where you can tell your grandchildren "I saw that play happen!"

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...