Potential 2018 Draft Needs/Strategy

Danand

1 hour ago, Darth Pees said:

I mean, why not? If anything, we've proven that IF we are stuck with Flacco for the next 3 years (it's actually 2 IIRC - 2019), without a top OL we're not going anywhere so we might as well invest in a great OL and then go from there. Doesn't matter if we have Dez and Randy Moss at WR, Flacco has shown that any kind of pressure that gets put on him and he's going to falter. I'd rather have an elite OL and be able to run the ball and pass the ball effectively than have pretty good weapons and an OL like we have this year which is inconsistently good and inconsistently bad.

I guess I feel people forget half our O line is out this season, so once they get back that unit will be much improved then this current one. I mean I agree its never bad to invest in O line, but I feel the other needs will outweigh oline

19 minutes ago, paraven said:

I guess I feel people forget half our O line is out this season, so once they get back that unit will be much improved then this current one. I mean I agree its never bad to invest in O line, but I feel the other needs will outweigh oline

So next year we'll have:

Stanley -- Lewis / Siragusa -- Jensen -- Yanda -- Lewis / Howard

I don't think Lewis or Siragusa are that good to warrant not taking a pick at least OG in the early rounds.

We've seen nothing to indicate that Harbaugh/Ozzie see Lewis as a potential RT - even when Hurst was slated to be the starting RT.

Siragusa's injury was brutal and there's no guarantee he'll be back at the level he played his final year in college.  And Jensen is nothing special at C.

In my mind, only LT is definitely set going forwards as Yanda can't be our RG forever

just like beefing up the secondary, CB in particular, worked out weel this offseason it cannot be a bad thing to again invest a high draft pick in OL, be it guard or tackle.

improve your strengths to masken your shortcomings (like a QB allergic to slightest pressure).

if we could sign J. Hill as powerback and D. Bryant at WR you can focus on OL, TE and then BPA come Draft iyam.

I still like the idea of going RT in the draft. Keep developing the guys on the guard spots, Lewis, Jensen, Siragusa, Skura and Eluemanor.

Get the sure handed WR in free agency Maclin style and something explosive on RB and a Pitta type tight end in the draft.

16 hours ago, drd23 said:

We've seen nothing to indicate that Harbaugh/Ozzie see Lewis as a potential RT - even when Hurst was slated to be the starting RT.

Siragusa's injury was brutal and there's no guarantee he'll be back at the level he played his final year in college.  And Jensen is nothing special at C.

In my mind, only LT is definitely set going forwards as Yanda can't be our RG forever

This x1000%. Keep Lewis at LG where he is a solid player.

22 hours ago, berlin calling said:

just like beefing up the secondary, CB in particular, worked out weel this offseason it cannot be a bad thing to again invest a high draft pick in OL, be it guard or tackle.

improve your strengths to masken your shortcomings (like a QB allergic to slightest pressure).

if we could sign J. Hill as powerback and D. Bryant at WR you can focus on OL, TE and then BPA come Draft iyam.

They can't though. Hill sucks too. Better off drafting another mid-round back, especially if all you're looking for is a power guy.

Why in the world would the Cowboys cut Dez?

And no thank you to washed up Jeremy Hill. I'm good with what we have at RB. As long as we can upgrade the offensive line (which should happen by default as a result of starters returning from injury), then we should correspondingly see even better performances in the running game next year. As ridiculous as it sounds, since we seem completely inept at drafting wide receivers and there aren't too many in this draft class that I like, I think Tight End might be the position to target in next years draft. I think Caleb Wilson and Mark Andrews could turn into some serious playmakers at the next level, that is if they decide to come out next year. Outside of that, MAYBE right tackle could be high on our list of needs if we elect to not pickup the option on Howard and the team doesn't see Lewis as a good fit at the position.

But man, just thinking about what our offensive line has the potential to look like next year really underscores how badly we've been decimated this year by injuries.

Starters: Stanley-Nico-Jensen-Yanda-Lewis
Bench: Nembot-Skura-Eluemunor

Ugh, what could have been....

53 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Why in the world would the Cowboys cut Dez?

because they will save a good 8m in cutting Bryant and according to the Cowboys Board here they seem to be content in cutting him.

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

By your own logic, wouldn't that mean that he'd struggle in Baltimore too?

getting our oline healthy will go a loooong way in fielding a good unit in 2018, don't you think? also as probably everybody i'll expect coaching changes this offseason as MM is just not cutting it.

and i wouldn't call Hill washed up but to each his own i guess.

Howard so far does the job as a stop gap tackle, but he has not been impressive and as far as I recall, he was listed as one of the tackles who receives the most help. Getting a right tackle in the draft to also learn 1-2 years with Yanda would imo be a really good approach. I still like Mike McGlinchey from Notre Dame and think he would be a really good fit, although he could be more physical. He blocks a bit like Stanley did in college, so it might just be the way they want it there.

Also, we still ned something more explosive at runningback. I was counting on West to be an allround runningback, but Collins took his job, and while he could be great, we need the lightning in our backfield.

12 hours ago, berlin calling said:

why not? i think there is a real chance Bryant is cut, same with Hill. typical Ozzie moves. and i'd adress much of Hills struggles lately to incompetent coaching (sounds familiar) and a leaking OL (yep). doesn't help they have 2 more over-average rbs in Bernard and Mixon.

Salary cap. The Ravens aren't going to have room to do much of anything (again). Even if Bryant gets cut, which won't happen, he isn't signing cheaply elsewhere.

Hill just isn't good. He would/will be cheap but there's a reason for that outside of him being a running back. 

Archived