Potential 2018 Draft Needs/Strategy

Danand

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

I don’t know I just want the Steelers wide receiver coach.. it seems whatever receiver they add to that squad becomes a stud. The roles could be flipped and we give them Perriman and I guarantee that guys is probably the next Roddy White. Just saying.

They had Perriman and failed with him already. He went by the name of Sammie Coates over in Pittsburgh though.

7 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

They had Perriman and failed with him already. He went by the name of Sammie Coates over in Pittsburgh though.

Sammie Coates is probably from Cleveland though. Or rather a factory of sadness. Thus his internal sadness likely debilitated his ability to be coached into excellence... or something like that.?

Hey @diamondbull424 have you watched Anthony Miller yet? Seems like your type. Reminds me of a less explosive with less top end Steve Smith but still extremely formidable. Over aged a smidge but our FO almost seems to search that out, could be a 2nd round target for us(I saw @Danand mocked him to us in the 4th I but that may be wishful thinking). 

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Hey @diamondbull424 have you watched Anthony Miller yet? Seems like your type. Reminds me of a less explosive with less top end Steve Smith but still extremely formidable. Over aged a smidge but our FO almost seems to search that out, could be a 2nd round target for us(I saw @Danand mocked him to us in the 4th I but that may be wishful thinking). 

Very wishful thinking. I solely went by his current projection on some draft sites. Less hyped than Sterling Shepard, but with some momentum, that guy is easily taken in the 2. round as you suggested.

Edit: That short mock is basically just a shortlist of players I currently like/see as a fit with us.

14 hours ago, DreamKid said:

You know me so well. He’s exactly the kind of receiver that Flacco needs. Someone that will attack the ball in the air, gain  separation against defenders, and when a play is broken will find ways to deceive his defender and get himself open for the quarterback. He shows polished routes, finds soft spots in zones. And plays with the fire of not being recruited. Have no idea why he is so low on draft prospect lists. The first game I watched was where he abused Uconn. So I immediately think it was probably just an outlier vs a horrible secondary. But then against Ole Miss, UCLA, western Kentucky. He did it against press man, off man, destroyed zone coverage. Man crush.

Outside of Bryce Love (who plays a position we probably won’t feel the need to attack with an early round back), who is my other man crush of the draft, this guy is the guy. I honestly like him better than James Washington, who attacked plays but on enough occasions, like Mason he would have issues separating on his routes.

Lastly, not a fan of the Steve Smith comparison. Only because we have a much better comparison of a player in our division that he’s reminiscent to. Plays a lot like Antonio Brown. Has enough deep speed to be stretch the field but has enough quickness to excel underneath. Plays with an underdog mentality.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

You know me so well. He’s exactly the kind of receiver that Flacco needs. Someone that will attack the ball in the air, gain  separation against defenders, and when a play is broken will find ways to deceive his defender and get himself open for the quarterback. He shows polished routes, finds soft spots in zones. And plays with the fire of not being recruited. Have no idea why he is so low on draft prospect lists. The first game I watched was where he abused Uconn. So I immediately think it was probably just an outlier vs a horrible secondary. But then against Ole Miss, UCLA, western Kentucky. He did it against press man, off man, destroyed zone coverage. Man crush.

Outside of Bryce Love (who plays a position we probably won’t feel the need to attack with an early round back), who is my other man crush of the draft, this guy is the guy. I honestly like him better than James Washington, who attacked plays but on enough occasions, like Mason he would have issues separating on his routes.

Lastly, not a fan of the Steve Smith comparison. Only because we have a much better comparison of a player in our division that he’s reminiscent to. Plays a lot like Antonio Brown. Has enough deep speed to be stretch the field but has enough quickness to excel underneath. Plays with an underdog mentality.

Love me some Anthony Miller, too. If only for the fact that unlike Kirk, I don't think Miller has/will receive enough hype to vault him into the first round. Not entirely sure at this point where he will go. However, If Miller is there at our 2nd/3rd pick, I'm all for scooping him up without hesitation.

Only problem is, if we don't keep either of Maclin or Wallace next year, then that is still going to leave a hole on the outside as Miller plays primarily out of the slot. So, unless Tim White returns from injury in a big way or Perriman does a 360 on his career, we're still going to need to add some additional depth at WR.

58 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

thoughts on DJ Moore? could be this years Stefon Diggs. 

I really like Moore, but there might be a bit of Terps bias in there. I think he can be a really good receiver in the NFL. However, he's nowhere near the talent that Diggs was, imo. Granted, they both suffered from horrible QB play, but I've never watched Moore and seen the same type of potential upside and explosivness that Diggs had. With that said, whatever he is lacking in upside, he more than makes up for as a complete receiver. He's explosive enough and a great route runner. He plays through contact and does a great job separating from defenders. Would actually be the perfect compliment on the outside to a guy like Miller. I certainly wouldn't mind double dipping at the position with back-to-back picks.

1 hour ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Love me some Anthony Miller, too. If only for the fact that unlike Kirk, I don't think Miller has/will receive enough hype to vault him into the first round. Not entirely sure at this point where he will go. However, If Miller is there at our 2nd/3rd pick, I'm all for scooping him up without hesitation.

Only problem is, if we don't keep either of Maclin or Wallace next year, then that is still going to leave a hole on the outside as Miller plays primarily out of the slot. So, unless Tim White returns from injury in a big way or Perriman does a 360 on his career, we're still going to need to add some additional depth at WR.

I really like Moore, but there might be a bit of Terps bias in there. I think he can be a really good receiver in the NFL. However, he's nowhere near the talent that Diggs was, imo. Granted, they both suffered from horrible QB play, but I've never watched Moore and seen the same type of potential upside and explosivness that Diggs had. With that said, whatever he is lacking in upside, he more than makes up for as a complete receiver. He's explosive enough and a great route runner. He plays through contact and does a great job separating from defenders. Would actually be the perfect compliment on the outside to a guy like Miller. I certainly wouldn't mind double dipping at the position with back-to-back picks.

he was the best receiver in the big ten, so he has the talent

Agreed with everyone on the huge need for WR but I hope Ozzie shows some humility on this front and changes up his approach to scouting the position. I don't know if it's just hiring someone in the front office with a track record on that or delegating responsibility in a different way but the bottom line is that he doesn't know how to scout the position effectively and his record proves that. 

^^^ Anout the whole double dip, I could potentially see that as well. But it looks like some prospect boards are already catching up. It seems Anthony Miller is already a top 20 player on the cbssports.com big board and they’re the one that actually matters IMO. They had him ranked above Calvin Ridley.

52 minutes ago, RavensDefense3 said:

i'm not really a fan of drafting WRs anymore, just invest the WR pick into getting a stud offensive lineman which i think is more important than a WR for flacco, then sign dez bryant.

Dez Bryant is a) on the Dallas Cowboys and b) Going to be a player we couldn’t afford if he were to get cut.

At some point drafting talent is going to have to be part of the solution. I think attacking the position in free agency as well as the draft has to be the solution. That and Ozzie needs to simply look for the sure thing talents and stop trying to develop a player based off of his potential.

We drafted Perriman strictly based off the fact that we never get a crack at legitimately dominant wideouts and were, like with Jimmy Smith, taking a shot in the dark and hoping that the nfl pedigree and H/W/S metrics would turn out in our favor.

The wideout pick that worked was Torrey Smith. He was a deep threat. And we drafted him purely to be a deep threat. We tried to develop him in other areas but he was elite in the area we drafted him for. I think that’s what we need to do for the scouting. Just find players that are elite at something and highly productive then look to develop the rest. But I’m sure I’m probably oversimplifying the issue.

I'm not a fan of WRs, they just don't impact the game like OL do. Only reason I would draft a WR is if he's a "can't miss prospect" type of player. We've seen what Flacco can do with great protection and a solid receiving core. Instead of missing on WRs for the 100th time let's just stick with what we know how to do and stop wasting draft picks.  Create a monsterous OL, and defense, let Flacco awaken in the playoffs. We've been a successful franchise because of this recipe.

And even in these recent weeks, even with this bad receiving core, our offense and Flacco have been playing great because of the OL play, we are able to run the ball and Joe has time and also probably because it's december, and somewhere in the back of his mind he knows january is coming. xD

i feel like we found the equivalent to M. Munchak on the Steelers in D'Allessandro, meaning he can do very much with very little and form a top notch unit even with middle-of-the-pack guys.

so the more i watch this oline sustain its good play as a unit, the more i get convinced it would still be necessary to influx talent but not before 3rd/4th round.

Yeah, don't know if it's him or Greg Roman, but they've done a masterful job with the OL in the recent weeks. Still want to add a OL within the first 3 rounds though. Yanda is coming off a season ending injury and he's 34 next season, who knows when he's going to start regressing. Howard is a stop gap, and definitely upgradable as well, and as we've seen depth is crucial in the OL. We've got our LT, and Center though and maybe LG.

Archived