Julian Edelman vs Calvin Johnson

NeptunePenguins

Which career was better  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Edelman or Johnson?

• Edelman
    • Johnson

Yeah you be right about that. I have seen bad comparisons on this forum before tbh, like Boldin > Moss from some dude, still closer than Edelman and Calvin though. Also if I were choosing a career, I would go with the player that has the best mix of who I feel the hottest I would personally look, plus the most money of that list.

43 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Yeah dude but Edelman got a Puma contract and was even featured in their commercial. Nice try though

I'm sure this includes a free Acura for life. And I ain't talking the ILX either, Megatron probably rocking a custom NSX nowadays...

Edit: I WILL say it's poor judgement on Megatron's part to represent a Japanese car company in the birthplace of the US Auto Industry.

31 minutes ago, ET80 said:

My only take is that "career" can't be defined strictly by SB victories, IMO. There's a lasting legacy that Calvin Johnson will carry (I mean, it's not every day someone calls you Megatron and nobody questions the legitimacy of giving you such a boss nickname). Edelman is a great player, but he's widely considered a cog in a machine. Megatron WAS the machine.

There's also a astronomical financial advantage that Johnson carries over his shorter career (Johnson's 6/$55mm ROOKIE deal is actually $11mm more than Julian Edelman's CAREER earnings of $44mm). This isn't even going into $63mm earned in the four years played into his 7/$113mm contract. Millions might be inconsequential among millionaires (not really, but I'm trying to entertain this line of thinking) but we're talking a major difference in money here.

Are those three SB rings worth $25mm/ring - the difference in earnings?

My response:

Adam Devine No GIF

No GIF

Season 9 No GIF by The Office

(That's one nope gif per ring...)

Again I am not saying Megatron isn't the man, Johnson was paid more and deservedly so. Edelman isn't exactly starving at 44 million in career earnings, which of these guys do you think looks back on his career and feels he left something unaccomplished? I doubt Edelman is sitting there saying "I wish I was Megatron" No slight on Johnson, there is no scenario where I would pick Edelman over him talent wise.

How many players are super bowl chasing trying to sign with Tampa Bay/ Kansas City when other teams might pay them more? When looking back at his career Edelman got to stand at the top of the mountain multiple times, (even as a cog in the machine) but he didn't ride the bench, he was contributor and a key reason for some of those rings.

Edelman was forced into retirement because his body was done, Calvin Johnson was sick of losing ala Barry Sanders (I don't blame either of them) who do you think is more satisfied with how things turned out for them career wise? 

To reiterate Calvin Johnson is the superior receiver in every way. But when you ask which career I would rather have, you can pay me millions, let me be a vital cog in the machine of a dynasty and I can retire and look back at multiple championships true he was never a pro bowler but Calvin Johnson was never a super bowl MVP. I don't care about the hall of fame. Super Bowl Sunday, It is why the games are played. It is the Championship of the most popular sport, on the biggest stage watched world wide. It is what the fans care about.  Edelman experienced the pinnacle of success in the NFL multiple times, is a millionaire many times over for it, a member of a dynasty and from what I gather well loved by Patriots fans and respected by other fans. That is an amazing career. 

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm sure this includes a free Acura for life. And I ain't talking the ILX either, Megatron probably rocking a custom NSX nowadays...

Edit: I WILL say it's poor judgement on Megatron's part to represent a Japanese car company in the birthplace of the US Auto Industry.

But considering he's from Atlanta and Acura/Honda produce vehicles in Georgia, it's not as shocking that he'd be doing this.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

Again I am not saying Megatron isn't the man, Johnson was paid more and deservedly so. Edelman isn't exactly starving at 44 million in career earnings, which of these guys do you think looks back on his career and feels he left something unaccomplished? I doubt Edelman is sitting there saying "I wish I was Megatron" No slight on Johnson, there is no scenario where I would pick Edelman over him talent wise.

A guy caring about whether he's the best at his position or not vs. a guy caring if he won championships while being a part of a team but never even close to the best is an entirely personal decision.

I think there's a larger chance that Megatron has never said "I wish I was Julian Edelman" than there is of Edelman saying the opposite.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, ET80 said:

While all of that if true, we all know professional football players must find ways to bring comfort and satisfaction to their body in their retirement years. So while an Acura sponsorship is more flashy, an UGG's sponsorship proves itself to be more valuable while also maintaining style. 

Couple that with his Puma contract and we know his feet are taken care of for years to come. Can we say the same about Megatron? I don't think so. His feet probably look like Deion Sanders'.

Sports-Feet-10-Deion-Sanders-STACK-654x3

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

While all of that if true, we all know professional football players must find ways to bring comfort and satisfaction to their body in their retirement years. So while an Acura sponsorship is more flashy, an UGG's sponsorship proves itself to be more valuable while also maintaining style. 

Let's be cereal though, nobody is paying attention to Tom Brady's accessory in this commercial...

2 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Couple that with his Puma contract and we know his feet are taken care of for years to come. Can we say the same about Megatron? I don't think so. His feet probably look like Deion Sanders'.

Sports-Feet-10-Deion-Sanders-STACK-654x3

My goodness, I can't unsee those feet...

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

A guy caring about whether he's the best at his position or not vs. a guy caring if he won championships while being a part of a team but never even close to the best is an entirely personal decision.

I think there's a larger chance that Megatron has never said "I wish I was Julian Edelman" than there is of Edelman saying the opposite.

No but I'd bet real Money Megatron wishes he got to play in a superbowl let alone win one. I agree it is a completely personal decision as to how one chooses to value a career. I understand that people may decide based on money 76 million versus 44 million.

My point though is that the idea of choosing Edelmans career over Calvin Johnson's career isn't ludicrous and the premise does have merit. 

1 hour ago, Phinsesq said:

But when you ask which career I would rather have, you can pay me millions, let me be a vital cog in the machine of a dynasty and I can retire and look back at multiple championships true he was never a pro bowler but Calvin Johnson was never a super bowl MVP. I don't care about the hall of fame. Super Bowl Sunday, It is why the games are played. It is the Championship of the most popular sport, on the biggest stage watched world wide. It is what the fans care about.  Edelman experienced the pinnacle of success in the NFL multiple times, is a millionaire many times over for it, a member of a dynasty and from what I gather well loved by Patriots fans and respected by other fans. That is an amazing career. 

*Shrug*

To each their own, I guess. I'll take the money.

23 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

You may have more millions than Edelman, but you would have to look down at those nasties every day. Health over wealth baby

If I'm being true to myself - I look at feet that gnarly to begin with every day.

So, if I am to ask myself "do I want a SB ring or do I want $75mm," I take the money and invest in comfy shoe and bi-monthly pedicures.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If I'm being true to myself - I look at feet that gnarly to begin with every day.

So, if I am to ask myself "do I want a SB ring or do I want $75mm," I take the money and invest in comfy shoe and bi-monthly pedicures.

I too would choose 75 mil over a SB ring.... But I wouldn't choose 75mil over 3 super bowl rings and 44 mil. But as you said to each their own. I don't fault anyone for taking the money and the notoriety of being an absolute dominant Wr. Some people would choose to have Sam Bradfords career and 140 million-ish versus Kurt Warner's career and 75 million-ish.  

My only point in taking this position is that it isn't as open/shut as my (and many others) initial knee jerk reaction was, I too said Calvin Johnson reflexively.   

I think it's an interesting question.  I wonder how many elite players would trade down their stats a bit for a ring.  After all, statistical successes can be overtaken, but being a SB Champion is forever.  Look at how we look at the elite players and how they tend to fade across eras as the game and rules evolve and we debate their impact of the game now vs the game then.  It's a good debate either way.